Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found some shade out back to enjoy a Vesper on a hot and humid day.  

33737E96-B04D-4F21-B936-32C639BB23F0.jpeg

• I like it 2

We've played with Negronis - different vermouths mostly, settling on one locally produced by Capitoline, and using local gins (Green Hat being a favorite) - but I hadn't thought of Punt e Mes.  THX.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

They have a variation on a Dark and Stormy that uses Elijah Craig, Averna, and Punt e Mes along with orange bitters that was also good. 

That is one heck of a variation! Sounds more like a Black Manhattan.

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That is one heck of a variation! Sounds more like a Black Manhattan.

It had a nutty quality that I quite liked. 

The view from my zero gravity chair.  Knob Creek Single Barrel Manhattan.  Privilege means never having to say you're sorry.

IMG_5296.thumb.jpg.1562c82a36ad06ea7aa508ab6cc79548.jpg

• I like it 1

How about a bloody Turkey with some shrimpage. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200811_084853.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

How about a bloody Turkey with some shrimpage. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200811_084853.jpg

Now... THIS is the way to make a Bloody Turkey!   My mouth started watering up instantly, Phil.   Good on ya'!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Now... THIS is the way to make a Bloody Turkey!   My mouth started watering up instantly, Phil.   Good on ya'!

Come on down Rich. You and Mrs nimrod will have a great time with us!

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Come on down Rich. You and Mrs nimrod will have a great time with us!

FIRST: the Mrs. would never agree to travel during this pandemic.    SECOND: she also won't be excited to know it's a visit with one of my "Bourbon Buddies".   

But, I'll broach the opportunity with her, anyway.   Maybe at some point it could be an option....?   I'll let ya' know....

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

FIRST: the Mrs. would never agree to travel during this pandemic.    SECOND: she also won't be excited to know it's a visit with one of my "Bourbon Buddies".   

But, I'll broach the opportunity with her, anyway.   Maybe at some point it could be an option....?   I'll let ya' know....

I understand ALL that Rich. We will see each other soon. Be safe!!

A GBS EC bottle-kill old fashioned (which as I'm sipping tastes just like the non-bottle-kill variety!) :lol: 

Fine cocktail, although not my favorite bourbon for it (but after a @#$% day, wanted to kill it - and a Glencairn just looks ridiculous filled up to the brim!)

IMG_20200813_181253.thumb.jpg.b80513ee38a76bf47d50a3b8277db966.jpg

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, GaryT said:

A GBS EC bottle-kill old fashioned (which as I'm sipping tastes just like the non-bottle-kill variety!) :lol: 

Fine cocktail, although not my favorite bourbon for it (but after a @#$% day, wanted to kill it - and a Glencairn just looks ridiculous filled up to the brim!)

IMG_20200813_181253.thumb.jpg.b80513ee38a76bf47d50a3b8277db966.jpg

I disagree Gary. If you fill a glencairn to the brim after one of those days, I'm saying " hell the fuck yea " ?

Not ridiculous at all.

• I like it 1

I was a skeptic on these Yeti’s before I was gifted one, but they are great.  Particularly, with a cocktail on a hot and sunny afternoon.  A couple of Absolut Citron and Sodas in the Yeti today out back, with Braves on the radio.  

8D676686-099D-4FD9-AFEA-0FD912590CB0.jpeg

• I like it 2

After the Swamp Water post a few days ago, I bought the Topo Chico to make myself some. As I was making the first one, I thought, "Hmmm, this is a lot like a rickey." As I considered it more, I came to the conclusion, "Hell, it is a rickey!" Old drink, new name.

Whatever you call it, yes, it is delicious on a summer afternoon.

@smokinjoe, that is a rickey, too. ?

Edited by ratcheer

Sitting down in the garage watching a gully washer of a rain move through with a delicious Toronto.  I love the KC Cask Strength in it.  Big and Bold, and confidently leads the charge of this cocktail.  ?

4806FF73-276A-4418-9105-727515F212AA.jpeg

Uh, that went quick.  Rain is still falling, and Round 2 is keeping up! ?

EBCAE96A-21EE-4D42-AA62-099D8E44DE3C.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, MM818 said:

Garage drinks. The Revolver. Ingredients call for Bulleit ( hence the name). I used 2 oz of Turkey, .5 ounce of Mr Black, and a couple dashes of orange angostura. Stirred & strained. Might be better w a cube. Drink isn’t working for me. Tastes muddled. 

B5E060A8-2347-4A86-A1E9-E33F6454580F.jpeg

Trying to figure out how best to combine two of my favorite things. Bourbon and coffee. This was 2.5oz stagg jr eagle rare blend and 1 ounce coffee liqueur. Couple dashes of orange bitters. Stirred, strained, cube,  and garnished w orange.

940463DA-4D40-43F2-BED4-37358246BE50.jpeg

10 hours ago, MM818 said:

Trying to figure out how best to combine two of my favorite things. Bourbon and coffee. This was 2.5oz stagg jr eagle rare blend and 1 ounce coffee liqueur. Couple dashes of orange bitters. Stirred, strained, cube,  and garnished w orange.

I have an idea for you.

I had both a boulevardier and a negroni this week with friends and they had a surprise for me. Coffee ice cubes.

They use small spherical cubes - about golf ball size or slightly smaller. As the cube melts you get subtle coffee flavors that marry quite well with the Campari.

I was skeptical and then quickly sold on it.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I have an idea for you.

I had both a boulevardier and a negroni this week with friends and they had a surprise for me. Coffee ice cubes.

They use small spherical cubes - about golf ball size or slightly smaller. As the cube melts you get subtle coffee flavors that marry quite well with the Campari.

I was skeptical and then quickly sold on it.

Okay.  I'm gonna try this.  I'm skeptical but the coffee/Campari match sounds promising.

57 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Okay.  I'm gonna try this.  I'm skeptical but the coffee/Campari match sounds promising.

I need to get the type of coffee they used clarified (as in coffee vs espresso) in order to insure the strength ratio is correct.

Playing with variations on a Negroni.  Substituted Aperol for Campari and added some orange bitters.  I liked it his alot.  I figured this had to be done before and a quick search revealed the Contessa.  My version is:

1 oz gin

1/2 oz Aperol

1 oz sweet vermouth

3 dashes orange bitters

Lemon twist garnish

IMG_20200825_162327875.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 3:28 AM, TwoFingers said:

Enjoyed a peach old fashioned last night.   Something a little different, which was nice.

2 oz Bourbon

1 tsp maple syrup

2 peach slices

2 dashes Angostura

Muddle peaches, add other ingredients plus ice and stir.  Strain over fresh ice.

I’ve been wanting to try this for a few weeks. With peaches dwindling at the market I had to get my act together! I was too heavy on the bitters but a nice little cap to the week. 

1726A816-1E20-47C5-BD29-AD3E44D6E46D.jpeg

12 hours ago, MM818 said:

I’ve been wanting to try this for a few weeks. With peaches dwindling at the market I had to get my act together! I was too heavy on the bitters but a nice little cap to the week. 

1726A816-1E20-47C5-BD29-AD3E44D6E46D.jpeg

Glad it turned out well.  Best with good fresh peaches.  I like the maple in it.  Makes a nice change of pace.

• 2 weeks later...

These Labor Day Old Fashions were made after lighting the coals on the grill for bone-in ribeyes.

Muddle - 1 sugar cube, 3 dashes bitters, 1 bar spoon water

Add 2.5 oz rye and stir

Add ice and stir a little more

Orange wheel garnish

0907201633_HDR.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.