Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying something new and different.  The Revolver.  Wasn't sure how it might turn out but not too sweet and not overpowering with coffee flavor.  I think l will put it in the cocktail rotation, particularly in cooler weather.

2 oz Bourbon

1/2 oz coffee liqueur

2-3 dashes orange bitters

Orange twist garnish

IMG_20200914_161655717.jpg

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

Trying something new and different.  The Revolver.  Wasn't sure how it might turn out but not too sweet and not overpowering with coffee flavor.  I think l will put it in the cocktail rotation, particularly in cooler weather.

2 oz Bourbon

1/2 oz coffee liqueur

2-3 dashes orange bitters

Orange twist garnish

IMG_20200914_161655717.jpg

I like these too.  I use just a dash of the coffee liqueur, just enough to add a nice background flavor and of course, the orange twist is a must. Cheers...

2.5 oz Rebel Yell 100

1 oz  Lemon Oleo Saccharum simple syrup

1 oz Lemon juice

8 mint leaves muddled 

Mush up of a bourbon sour with a bourbon smash.  Oleo Saccharum was just sent to me by the booze angels. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8jIDQ7jv-E&t=2s&ab_channel=TheEducatedBarfly

On 8/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, flahute said:

I have an idea for you.

I had both a boulevardier and a negroni this week with friends and they had a surprise for me. Coffee ice cubes.

They use small spherical cubes - about golf ball size or slightly smaller. As the cube melts you get subtle coffee flavors that marry quite well with the Campari.

I was skeptical and then quickly sold on it.

While I have yet to take the initiative to make coffee ice cubes I did take another step in my coffee cocktail journey. I infused a tablespoon of coffee beans in 2 ounces of Campari. Let it marry for 24 hours.  Made a Negroni. Subtle coffee up front. Really enjoyable. 

991B2992-65F6-4145-8CAB-8C8EBCED2600.jpeg

• I like it 1

Speaking of a Vieux Carre...

Last night it was "A Rhum with a Vieux" (from the most recent September/October issue of Imbibe magazine, page 51, attributed to Jim Romdall of Rumba in Seattle)  although I changed the name from Rum to Rhum because, well, it is made with a Rhum Agricole of course! And Rhum Agricole has a much closer connection to the French roots of New Orleans and the Vieux Carre.

For those of you interested and who don't get the magazine the recipe is as follows if you want to play along.

1 oz lightly aged Rhum Agricole (the article mentions Rhum JM Gold or Trois Rivieres Ambre but I used a young Depaz Rhum Agricole. Why? Well, because I can!)

1 oz Cognac (I used Pierre Ferrand 1840)

1/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum

1/4 oz rich (2:1) simple syrup 

4 dashes Peychaud's bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2-3 dashes absinthe

1 lemon twist

Rinse coupe with absinthe (or use an atomizer with absinthe or Herbsaint which was my choice because of its New Orleans connection and works fine)

Stir remaining liquid ingredients with ice and strain into absinthe rinsed coupe. Twist a lemon peel over the drink to express oils and then discard the peel)

Sit back, relax and enjoy!

You can thank me afterwards... ?

• I like it 1

I have been mixing warm apple cider and whatever cheap bourbon i have open at the time. No particular ratio just mix to taste. May add a couple dashes of bitters on my next drink for an experiment, or could add a small amount of soda as well.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Speaking of a Vieux Carre...

Last night it was "A Rhum with a Vieux" (from the most recent September/October issue of Imbibe magazine, page 51, attributed to Jim Romdall of Rumba in Seattle)  although I changed the name from Rum to Rhum because, well, it is made with a Rhum Agricole of course! And Rhum Agricole has a much closer connection to the French roots of New Orleans and the Vieux Carre.

For those of you interested and who don't get the magazine the recipe is as follows if you want to play along.

1 oz lightly aged Rhum Agricole (the article mentions Rhum JM Gold or Trois Rivieres Ambre but I used a young Depaz Rhum Agricole. Why? Well, because I can!)

1 oz Cognac (I used Pierre Ferrand 1840)

1/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum

1/4 oz rich (2:1) simple syrup 

4 dashes Peychaud's bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2-3 dashes absinthe

1 lemon twist

Rinse coupe with absinthe (or use an atomizer with absinthe or Herbsaint which was my choice because of its New Orleans connection and works fine)

Stir remaining liquid ingredients with ice and strain into absinthe rinsed coupe. Twist a lemon peel over the drink to express oils and then discard the peel)

Sit back, relax and enjoy!

You can thank me afterwards... ?

Well this sounds amazing.

Anyone tried the Bittermilk Old Fashioned Mix? I’m usually not a fan of premix but this is better than any of my homemades 

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Wlrogers said:

Anyone tried the Bittermilk Old Fashioned Mix? I’m usually not a fan of premix but this is better than any of my homemades 

spacer.png

I've used it.  Got it as a gift. Makes a great cocktail.  

Foster & Third for the start of the last regular season Braves game on the radio.  

938BEA2C-FECA-42F3-AD66-CC6DF89580DA.jpeg

Coolish here, so first fire of the season in the outdoor fireplace, and a Manhattan with a couple of healthy shakes of black walnut bitters to give it more of a Fall-ish vibe.  

D75DE8DB-4527-41B3-9963-A6C19105107F.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 10/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, smokinjoe said:

Coolish here, so first fire of the season in the outdoor fireplace, and a Manhattan with a couple of healthy shakes of black walnut bitters to give it more of a Fall-ish vibe.  

D75DE8DB-4527-41B3-9963-A6C19105107F.jpeg

You’re literally living my dream.  I could sit by a fire all night sipping on whiskey.

? ? ?

Edited by 0895

Bought some Herbsaint on a whim the other day to try my hand at Sazerac cocktails again.  It’s been a couple years.

Using absinthe (last time I tried) kinda sucked.

This is quite a bit better, but i need some practice, as its a tad heavy on the licorice.

Chose the Rossville, as it’s the higher corn  mgp recipe and the closest thing to Sazerac open that I’ll mix with.

Still very good, & Im enjoying it, but not quite up to bar level yet.

Any tips/tricks from the experts are welcomed.

?

6D68EDF2-2574-4BC4-8731-B2881D58C068.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

On 9/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, Bret Bret said:

I've used it.  Got it as a gift. Makes a great cocktail.  

I really like it for fast bar service when you have a larger group (remember those days??) 

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

Bought some Herbsaint on a whim the other day to try my hand at Sazerac cocktails again.  It’s been a couple years.

Using absinthe (last time I tried) kinda sucked.

This is quite a bit better, but i need some practice, as its a tad heavy on the licorice.

Chose the Rossville, as it’s the higher corn  mgp recipe and the closest thing to Sazerac open that I’ll mix with.

Still very good, & Im enjoying it, but not quite up to bar level yet.

Any tips/tricks from the experts are welcomed.

?

I'm no expert, but...I chill a rocks glass with ice and water in the freezer while I'm getting things together.  I mist another rocks glass with Herbsaint or pour some in and swirl the glass to coat it evenly and either drink the remainder or pour out.  Pour the ice water out of the now very cold glass and put in a sugar cube.  Soak the cube with 4 or 5 short dashes of Peychaud's and 1 big dash of Angostura.  Add 2 oz of rye (I prefer Baby Saz) and stir, stir, stir until the sugar dissolves.  Sometimes I will put a very small piece of an ice cube in to keep it cold while stirring.  I like the sugar cube vs. simple syrup.  Something move satisfying about it.  Pour out of the first glass slowly into the Herbsaint coated glass, straining out any ice if you used any.  Take a large wedge of lemon peel and warm it in the microwave for about 5 seconds and twist it over the drink. You want to be able to see the spray come out of the peel.  Needs to be a really good fresh lemon.  Rub the rim of the glass with the lemon peel.  Occasionally I will drop the peel in the drink but usually toss it.  If it is warmer out I will put a frozen stainless steel ball in before pouring the whiskey mixture in the coated glass.

I also sometimes "kick it up a notch" by adding a 1/2 oz of Big O Ginger liqueur. Not traditional, I know, but delicious.

My favorite cocktail by a wide margin.

Edited by Clueby

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

You’re literally living my dream.  I could sit by a fire all night sipping on whiskey.

? ? ?

It is amazing how friggin’ brilliant I am out there by myself staring into the fire, with a whiskey and a cigar.  I mean Einstein brilliant! Then morning comes, and I’ve forgotten everything...  ?

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

I'm no expert, but...I chill a rocks glass with ice and water in the freezer while I'm getting things together.  I mist another rocks glass with Herbsaint or pour some in and swirl the glass to coat it evenly and either drink the remainder or pour out.  Pour the ice water out of the now very cold glass and put in a sugar cube.  Soak the cube with 4 or 5 short dashes of Peychaud's and 1 big dash of Angostura.  Add 2 oz of rye (I prefer Baby Saz) and stir, stir, stir until the sugar dissolves.  Sometimes I will put a very small piece of an ice cube in to keep it cold while stirring.  I like the sugar cube vs. simple syrup.  Something move satisfying about it.  Pour out of the first glass slowly into the Herbsaint coated glass, straining out any ice if you used any.  Take a large wedge of lemon peel and warm it in the microwave for about 5 seconds and twist it over the drink. You want to be able to see the spray come out of the peel.  Needs to be a really good fresh lemon.  Rub the rim of the glass with the lemon peel.  Occasionally I will drop the peel in the drink but usually toss it.  If it is warmer out I will put a frozen stainless steel ball in before pouring the whiskey mixture in the coated glass.

I also sometimes "kick it up a notch" by adding a 1/2 oz of Big O Ginger liqueur. Not traditional, I know, but delicious.

My favorite cocktail by a wide margin.

Awesome.

Thanks.

We actually don’t own a microwave, but Ill figgur it out with the ?.

I love a good Sazarac, and make them from time to time.  But, the multiple glasses, steps, etc., to the recipe wear me the heck out.  I typically have time for a couple of bourbons while I’m making the damn thing!  So, I usually go to something simpler.  However, since I picked up a Baby Saz over the weekend, perhaps I’ll muscle up and whip one up this week!  

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Awesome.

Thanks.

We actually don’t own a microwave, but Ill figgur it out with the ?.

Just roll it around a bit to soften it up then. I use a potato peeler to peel of a chunk.  How do you survive without a microwave?! :blink::D

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I love a good Sazarac, and make them from time to time.  But, the multiple glasses, steps, etc., to the recipe wear me the heck out.  I typically have time for a couple of bourbons while I’m making the damn thing!  So, I usually go to something simpler.  However, since I picked up a Baby Saz over the weekend, perhaps I’ll muscle up and whip one up this week!  

Ya see? Yet another reason why we are brothers. This is one of my favorite cocktails yet I hardly ever make it for the reasons mentioned!

The Sazerac is my very favorite cocktail. I like the anise flavor, so I am not so fussy with the production routine. I fill the glass with ice. I mix the drink in another container, including a few drops of the Herbsaint. Then I discard the ice from the serving glass, and strain from the mixing glass to the serving glass. Easy and done.

And I always order Sazeracs when I'm in New Orleans. The best one I recall ever having was at Emeril's.

• I like it 1

Thiese two 107 proofers haver been designated for cocktail duty, so into the Whammie (as named by smokinjoe last year) they go. I'll kill the OS first as it's been collecting dust for almost a year. 

20201007_173527.jpg

15 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Thiese two 107 proofers haver been designated for cocktail duty, so into the Whammie (as named by smokinjoe last year) they go. I'll kill the OS first as it's been collecting dust for almost a year. 

20201007_173527.jpg

I was tempted to pick up one of those EB's but sounds like I made a wise choice not to?  So...this Whammie.  Tell us more?  I'm assuming its the cocktail, not the container?  Recipe?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.