Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I was tempted to pick up one of those EB's but sounds like I made a wise choice not to?  So...this Whammie.  Tell us more?  I'm assuming its the cocktail, not the container?  Recipe?

I spent $25 on the EB, so I'm not upset about buying it. It isn't bad, it just isnt for me. I'm happy to give you a sample. 

So the Whammie is the cocktail. It's a few dashes of bitters (which I forgot last night), 1/2oz Heering, 2oz bourbon or rye, top off with Simply Lemonade.

These measurements are rough at best, I just get to pouring. IMO Simply Lemonade is the king of lemonades, so i don't recommend a substitute. 

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I spent $25 on the EB, so I'm not upset about buying it. It isn't bad, it just isnt for me. I'm happy to give you a sample. 

So the Whammie is the cocktail. It's a few dashes of bitters (which I forgot last night), 1/2oz Heering, 2oz bourbon or rye, top off with Simply Lemonade.

These measurements are rough at best, I just get to pouring. IMO Simply Lemonade is the king of lemonades, so i don't recommend a substitute. 

The Whammie is a winner!!

• I like it 1

On 10/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, 0895 said:

Awesome.

Thanks.

We actually don’t own a microwave, but Ill figgur it out with the ?.

Don’t really need to microwave the peel, just use a good fresh lemon. I have also come to find sugar cubes to be a pain and hard to get to dissolve completely even though that is certainly traditional. I just use 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of simple syrup. The atomizer to spray the Herbsaint (I like Herbsaint in this drink) or absinthe in the glass is a good tool to have.

My general technique is as follows:

Pack lowball glass with cracked ice. In a second lowball or mixing glass, stir ingredient with ice, empty serving glass and rinse with Absinthe, strain and serve without ice. Lemon twist. 

• I like it 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, Clueby said:

How do you survive without a microwave?! :blink::D

We just never bought one.

And nobody bought us the one on our wedding registry.

It has kinda become a running joke with the wife now.

She just makes everything fresh or by hand... even popcorn, she cooks on the stove, old fashioned like.  Never has really impacted our life enough for me to pull the trigger.

Personally I would like to have one to warm up leftovers occasionally, but our kitchen is small and the coffee pot is way more important! ?

• I like it 2

Some “instant Manhattan” tonight.

This is a favorite of mine that has recently changed names and recipe (slightly).

Bought a few old bottles, just in case the new one is lacking.

921D1EEC-D667-41C7-B840-AAE6B7478443.jpeg

On 10/6/2020 at 10:37 AM, ratcheer said:

The Sazerac is my very favorite cocktail. I like the anise flavor, so I am not so fussy with the production routine. I fill the glass with ice. I mix the drink in another container, including a few drops of the Herbsaint. Then I discard the ice from the serving glass, and strain from the mixing glass to the serving glass. Easy and done.

And I always order Sazeracs when I'm in New Orleans. The best one I recall ever having was at Emeril's.

I like the Saz from the bar in the Roosevelt Hotel in NOLA= they claim to have served the first one there too!   LOL

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I like the Saz from the bar in the Roosevelt Hotel in NOLA= they claim to have served the first one there too!   LOL

Yeah. The last couple of times I was in New Orleans, I wanted to go there, but they were doing a big renovation. I think the bar may have been open, but it looked like too much of a PITA to get in and out of.

Just a few days ago, I asked my wife if we could go to New Orleans for a few days, but she is so afraid of the virus, she refused.

4:20 on a Friday and thought a good time to whip up a Sazarac.  Tad heavy on the Absente, I think, but otherwise dang tasty.  Mixing it, I was reminded of an old pre-mixed bottled Sazerac I found in a SC liquor store some years ago, so thought I’d toss it  into the pic.  

31342D26-DA3A-4A97-A55D-F67CB377E0A5.jpeg

79464213-9708-4F85-BC00-C6940ED0F77B.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, ratcheer said:

Yeah. The last couple of times I was in New Orleans, I wanted to go there, but they were doing a big renovation. I think the bar may have been open, but it looked like too much of a PITA to get in and out of.

Just a few days ago, I asked my wife if we could go to New Orleans for a few days, but she is so afraid of the virus, she refused.

Prayers for those folks in LA this weekend.

• I like it 1

Got the monthly newsletter from Four Roses yesterday and after perusing the cocktail recipes I decided I needed to try the Maple Old Fashioned.

2oz Four Roses Small Batch

1/2oz maple syrup

4 dashes black walnut bitters

I didn't have the black walnut bitters so I substituted chocolate bitters which worked very well. I continued to experiment with one of the small coffee ice spheres and dang is that good.

Coffee and pancakes in a glass.

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, flahute said:

Got the monthly newsletter from Four Roses yesterday and after perusing the cocktail recipes I decided I needed to try the Maple Old Fashioned.

1/2oz maple syrup

I didn't have the black walnut bitters so I substituted chocolate bitters which worked very well. I continued to experiment with one of the small coffee ice spheres and dang is that good.

Got a hold of some black walnut bitters and holy crap is this cocktail good per the original recipe. Autumn in a glass. 

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Got a hold of some black walnut bitters and holy crap is this cocktail good per the original recipe. Autumn in a glass. 

Orange Bulleit featured by the Clydes restaurant group around WashDC as a menu cocktail.

1.5 OZ Bulleit

0.25 OZ Solerno blood orange liqueur

some walnut bitters

up or in a small Old Fashioned glass

Patti and I drank a half dozen before Niall, the bartender, surrendered the recipe.  Beam 8 Star (the flavored vodka 80 proof rail) features in their standard "bourbon" cocktails, BUT Niall swears they use Bulleit in this.  I trust them.

• I like it 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, 0895 said:

Some “instant Manhattan” tonight.

This is a favorite of mine that has recently changed names and recipe (slightly).

Bought a few old bottles, just in case the new one is lacking.

921D1EEC-D667-41C7-B840-AAE6B7478443.jpeg

As I recall the Manhattan is relatively new to the lineup at High West. They have been making a number of changes of late which included dropping the Bottled  Boulevardier that they used to make and replacing it with the Bottled Manhattan.

Not quite sure what they are up to or especially why.

35 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

As I recall the Manhattan is relatively new to the lineup at High West. They have been making a number of changes of late which included dropping the Bottled  Boulevardier that they used to make and replacing it with the Bottled Manhattan.

Not quite sure what they are up to or especially why.

So previously they sold the  "36th vote" (Manhattan) and also like you mentioned, "barreled boulevardier"

This year I noticed like you said, they dropped the boulevardier and created new labels that simply say "Barrel finished cocktail".

The choices are either "Manhattan" or "Old fashioned".

The website now mentions that the Manhattan cocktail includes a mixture of bourbon and rye, whereas previously, it was only stated as MGP 95/5 rye.

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter too much, but I figured I'd grab a couple of the old bottles before they completely disappear.

One of these days, I'll probably compare the new bottle to the old.

I think they probably changed the product to make it more clear what it was in the bottle (clearly stated names on the label).  Also, with BT releasing its own premixed cocktail products this year in Manhattan and old fashioned form, I think they probably had to do something to remain competitive.  Unfortunately, I don't think the boulevardier is as popular as the Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

It's a little different than the cocktail flahute made a few days back. I used 4RYL instead of 4RSmB and simple syrup (which has some brown sugar in it) instead of maple syrup. This is darn good. I think a 100 proof high rye bourbon might work better for me with this. Maybe 4R SiB or New Riff BIB. I shall tinker with it. 

20201014_205424.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

It's a little different than the cocktail flahute made a few days back. I used 4RYL instead of 4RSmB and simple syrup (which has some brown sugar in it) instead of maple syrup. This is darn good. I think a 100 proof high rye bourbon might work better for me with this. Maybe 4R SiB or New Riff BIB. I shall tinker with it. 

20201014_205424.jpg

I'm going to try it with the maple syrup and 4RSiB this weekend. I think you might be on to something.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, JCwhammie said:

20201014_205424.jpg

Yep. Absolutely outstanding with 4RSiB. Thanks for suggesting that.

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, flahute said:

1/2oz maple syrup

Dayum this is good!  Autumn in a glass.  I went with Woodford Double Oaked as I really like it in cocktails.  I think a bold Russells 110 proof would work nicely, too.  

D21F6D84-A159-4CD7-91C8-C67A8141A446.jpeg

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Dayum this is good!  Autumn in a glass.  I went with Woodford Double Oaked as I really like it in cocktails.  I think a bold Russells 110 proof would work nicely, too.  

Ohhhhhh, I like the idea of using some Turkey with this. That's my next attempt.

• I like it 1

The maple OF is really the only good use for “fat washed” bourbon. But if you don’t want to go to the trouble of infusing rendered pork fat then get your smoke from the syrup. This one adds a nice twist to the profile. But a little goes a long way. 

30B34393-E88B-4FE8-9953-3367C666D829.jpeg

Edited by Old Dusty

The taste of the season. 

It's been a brutal week and a half.  The absolute nadir being showing up for my colonoscopy and being told that my negative Covid test wasn't valid.  This after submitting the test to the doctor's office FOUR DAYS earlier with a request that they CONTACT ME if there was a problem.   Eventually it did happen, to my colon-ossal relief, thereby rendering the inevitable indignity even more ignominious.  I'm reminded of my friend Martin's first rule of comedy:  it can't kill you, but it's got to hurt really bad. 

This makes up for it just a little.

IMG_6030.thumb.jpg.e095b072242d5f26747c3b2d9e77b92d.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 3:53 PM, smokinjoe said:

On 10/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, flahute said:

Ohhhhhh, I like the idea of using some Turkey with this. That's my next attempt.

Hey fellas. I used KC tonight for this cocktail. I backed off on the simple syrup a bit. I like it, I like it a lot. 

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Hey fellas. I used KC tonight for this cocktail. I backed off on the simple syrup a bit. I like it, I like it a lot. 

Duly noted sir! Adding this to the list!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.