Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a radio.  I got college football.    I got a pork butt in the smoker.  I got a chair on the patio.  And I got a Rye Monk.  I got about everything I need right now!  ?

FAAA8F0C-ADB5-4A02-BCFB-1C8E6265E9C0.jpeg

• I like it 3

Started tonight with an Old Pal, and wrapping up with an Old Fashioned (using Redemption High Rye Bourbon - which I hoped might be something it would work well in . . . but apparently I'm spoiled by better bourbon).

• I like it 1

My wife has had a week, so made her Margaritas. They were out of Espolon so trying the Altos for the first time. Wife is happy, which was the goal.PXL_20201117_215615053.thumb.jpg.5a1abdf6e1a38ea791a988a68b49b8e1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Post Thanksgiving dinner beverage 

20201126_150116.jpg

What did you do here? Looks equal parts. Any bitters involved? 

49 minutes ago, MM818 said:

What did you do here? Looks equal parts. Any bitters involved? 

It's a slight alteration to a boulevardier. No bitters.

2oz WT101

1oz Cherry Heering

1oz Campari

It's more balanced than a stock boulevardier. 

The hit libation of thanksgiving last night was a Kimball House cocktail creation called “Fools Gold”. Don’t know the exact ratios (yet!) but it was bourbon, lemon juice, spiced honey, Pommeau de Normandy (you all have that at home right??? I know Joe is going to run right out and get some for his burgeoning  cocktail collection?) and green Chartreuse.

Quite festive!

Edited by tanstaafl2

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The hit libation of thanksgiving last night was a Kimball House cocktail creation called “Fools Gold”. Don’t know the exact ratios (yet!) but it was bourbon, lemon juice, spiced honey, Pommeau de Normandy (you all have that at home right??? I know Joe is going to run right out and get some for his burgeoning  cocktail collection?) and green Chartreuse.

Quite festive!

I will,as soon as I learn how to pronounce pommeau...  ?

Decided to try something that would include Benedictine as I have a few old bottles collecting dust (and they were old when I bought them a few years ago dusty hunting; labels read 23/32 pint which was a first for me!)  Thanks to Google, found a solution:

The Preakness Cocktail

2 oz Rye
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
1/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura bitters

I did overpour on the Benedictine (closer to 1/2 oz) but pleased with the result.  Like an herbal Manhattan!  Using my 'cocktail rye' (which is just a blend of a bunch of rye so I have a bottle in the kitchen; started with trying to kill several low-fills and now I just top if off periodically with whatever).  

IMG_20201127_165102.thumb.jpg.f83bf7087c58b61ad2268673cbef9d8a.jpg

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

Decided to try something that would include Benedictine as I have a few old bottles collecting dust (and they were old when I bought them a few years ago dusty hunting; labels read 23/32 pint which was a first for me!)  Thanks to Google, found a solution:

The Preakness Cocktail

2 oz Rye
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
1/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura bitters

I did overpour on the Benedictine (closer to 1/2 oz) but pleased with the result.  Like an herbal Manhattan!  Using my 'cocktail rye' (which is just a blend of a bunch of rye so I have a bottle in the kitchen; started with trying to kill several low-fills and now I just top if off periodically with whatever).  

IMG_20201127_165102.thumb.jpg.f83bf7087c58b61ad2268673cbef9d8a.jpg

I make this every year when they run the race and always like it.

• I like it 1

Trying out Fee Brothers Grapefruit bitters tonight in an old fashioned. 3 dashes bitters, 1 barspoon of simple, and 2 ounces WT101, along with lemon peel. Very tasty

• I like it 1

Penicillin season. 2 oz Duncan Taylor, .75 oz lemon, .75 oz ginger honey syrup. Shaken. Floated with some Laphroaig.  

Pre pandemic I was in Austin on Rainey Street and a bartender was making this drink for me. He pulled out a perfume bottle to spray the top of the drink w the Islay. Alas, I am not that cool. 

This drink probably took my interest in cocktails to a new level. 

9ABDCD2B-846A-4D9E-98DE-9B7A1BE27D0D.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 12/4/2020 at 9:05 PM, MM818 said:

Penicillin season. 2 oz Duncan Taylor, .75 oz lemon, .75 oz ginger honey syrup. Shaken. Floated with some Laphroaig.  

Pre pandemic I was in Austin on Rainey Street and a bartender was making this drink for me. He pulled out a perfume bottle to spray the top of the drink w the Islay. Alas, I am not that cool. 

This drink probably took my interest in cocktails to a new level. 

9ABDCD2B-846A-4D9E-98DE-9B7A1BE27D0D.jpeg

What distillery is the Duncan Taylor from?

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

What distillery is the Duncan Taylor from?

I don’t know.  It’s always on sale at the big box store. It’s been my go to mixer for a couple years. 

8181EFD4-BCDC-4EC5-BBA7-D0898B08F826.jpeg

56 minutes ago, MM818 said:

I don’t know.  It’s always on sale at the big box store. It’s been my go to mixer for a couple years. 

8181EFD4-BCDC-4EC5-BBA7-D0898B08F826.jpeg

Ah! I expect this is their Johnny Walker knock off for the large volume big box Total Wine buyers of the world.

I like to use Compass Box Peat Monster as the float if available since that was how it was originally created. But Laphroaig will certainly work!

I got an early Christmas gift baby yoda (“The Child”/“Grogu”) tiki, so I had to test it out with a spicy mai tai replacing the orgeat with lots of Angostura.

12FB93CB-2CCB-41D5-B1A4-14FB95BBE38E.jpeg

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, webfoots said:

I got an early Christmas gift baby yoda (“The Child”/“Grogu”) tiki, so I had to test it out with a spicy mai tai replacing the orgeat with lots of Angostura.

12FB93CB-2CCB-41D5-B1A4-14FB95BBE38E.jpeg

This is the way.

Zoom cocktail party. These were delivered today. Pretty fun little delivery! The holiday old fashioned was really good. 

00E40709-6DA7-4FBF-8333-F0A3145A5F1F.jpeg

Did they provide a recipe for the pumpkin syrup they used in the old fashioned? I’d like to give that a try.

6 hours ago, webfoots said:

Did they provide a recipe for the pumpkin syrup they used in the old fashioned? I’d like to give that a try.

No recipe. It’s a mix of pumpkin tea and simple syrup. Don’t know the ratio. 

On 12/9/2020 at 10:28 PM, MM818 said:

Zoom cocktail party. These were delivered today. Pretty fun little delivery! The holiday old fashioned was really good. 

00E40709-6DA7-4FBF-8333-F0A3145A5F1F.jpeg

Did they provide samples of the ingredients? A pretty eclectic collection! Not that common for most people to have Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie just lying about on their personal bar!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.