Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Did they provide samples of the ingredients? A pretty eclectic collection! Not that common for most people to have Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie just lying about on their personal bar!

I make my own each year after Christmas when I take the tree down... ?

Orange chocolate Manhattan with Knob Creek barrel proof rye, Sperone Vermouth di Torino, Bitter Truth mole bitters and an orange twist.

This thing has been sitting on the rocks for about an hour with the rye kicking the vermouth the whole time.   And it has a wide foot.  It got 'em both.

Time for another.

IMG_6423.thumb.jpg.52c23e99d929cd15222f2d6aa8bdba09.jpg

• I like it 1

I soaked dried cranberries in WT101 Rye for a batch of oatmeal cookies. As an experiment I decided to use the intensely sweetened rye as a substitute for the simple syrup in an Old Fashioned. Added to a base of regular WT101 Rye, with ample shakes of Angostura bitters and a few shakes of Fee Brothers orange bitters. Needed a bit of ice to proof down and tone down the flavors a bit, but not bad!

PXL_20201213_185806612.thumb.jpg.ada758f92c9af63820b0c593edb4fce1.jpg

• I like it 3

Nice sunny and warm day here Down South just screams for a Negroni! 

CBE96E19-4511-455C-83AB-9627A884F3C0.jpeg

On 12/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Did they provide samples of the ingredients? A pretty eclectic collection! Not that common for most people to have Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie just lying about on their personal bar!

For that particular drink it came in a 4oz bottle. You just add ice to shaker and then garnish w the supplied Rosemary sprig. 

They did supply me with enough pumpkin syrup for several drinks over the weekend. 

Last evening, I made a Sazerac Cocktail, but I was in no mood for an icy-cold drink, so I just prepared it in the glass and had it at room temperature. It was good, much better than I thought it would be.

I'm still looking forward to getting a bottle of Benedictine to make a Vieux Carre. My son made a variation using Amaro; would that work as well?

13 hours ago, ratcheer said:

Last evening, I made a Sazerac Cocktail, but I was in no mood for an icy-cold drink, so I just prepared it in the glass and had it at room temperature. It was good, much better than I thought it would be.

I'm still looking forward to getting a bottle of Benedictine to make a Vieux Carre. My son made a variation using Amaro; would that work as well?

Get the Benedictine and make the Vieux Carre. It's so good.

• I like it 1

I figured I start this last weekend before Christmas with a Manhattan.    I haven't had one in a while.  Plenty of Black Manhattans, though.  Maker’s 46 is providing a nice whiskey base for it.  Enjoying this very much.  

92D910F1-BF12-41D0-985C-EAD9B0C11419.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I figured I start this last weekend before Christmas with a Manhattan.    I haven't had one in a while.  Plenty of Black Manhattans, though.  Maker’s 46 is providing a nice whiskey base for it.  Enjoying this very much.  

92D910F1-BF12-41D0-985C-EAD9B0C11419.jpeg

And a fine chorus to go along with it.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, flahute said:

I finally made it to the ABC store, yesterday. (I have a neurological disease, so I can no longer drive myself.) They had a shelf space for Benedictine, but it was empty. The nice lady checked its availabilty at several other stores within about 20 miles; all were out. Sigh.

I want to make a road trip to New Orleans, but my wife won't take me because of the damned virus.

2 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I finally made it to the ABC store, yesterday. (I have a neurological disease, so I can no longer drive myself.) They had a shelf space for Benedictine, but it was empty. The nice lady checked its availabilty at several other stores within about 20 miles; all were out. Sigh.

I want to make a road trip to New Orleans, but my wife won't take me because of the damned virus.

Ah shoot, sorry man. Hope you find some soon.

I forgot how good the Vieux Carre is. Wow. Christmas vacation cocktail season has begun. Last night it was a Negroni, tonight the Vieux Carre.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

I forgot how good the Vieux Carre is. Wow. Christmas vacation cocktail season has begun. Last night it was a Negroni, tonight the Vieux Carre.

I went ahead and made one with a Spanish amaro instead of Benedictine. I also had temporarily misplaced my VSOP cognac, so I made it with XO, instead ?. Yes, it was delicious.

10 minutes ago, ratcheer said:

I went ahead and made one with a Spanish amaro instead of Benedictine. I also had temporarily misplaced my VSOP cognac, so I made it with XO, instead ?. Yes, it was delicious.

Excellent!

On 12/17/2020 at 12:18 AM, flahute said:

I second that sage advice!

Cranberry Negronies last night. Tasty!

Equal parts gin, Campari, dry vermouth, and cranberry juice. Garnish with orange peel like normal.

• I like it 1

This is a mighty tasty Manhattan. Hey Fred and Freddie, how about you guys make the twice barreled KC Rye a mainstay! 

20201221_203958.jpg

• I like it 1

That KC Twice Barreled Rye is what I have been using, Good stuff!

I also love the Antica Formula vermouth, but I don't have any at the moment.

• I like it 1

Couple of WT101 rye Manhattans this evening. Was out of vermouth so tried a new one. Dolin. Not bad really. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, flahute said:

Got a hold of some black walnut bitters and holy crap is this cocktail good per the original recipe. Autumn in a glass. 

I received a bottle of 4R small batch for Xmas. Cocktail #1 for the evening.  Probably moving to a Manhattan next. (All that vermouth shelf life talk has gotten me motivated!)

7A3A48B6-86AA-45D3-A805-F2782E0EBC15.jpeg

On 11/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, JCwhammie said:

It's a slight alteration to a boulevardier. No bitters.

2oz WT101

1oz Cherry Heering

1oz Campari

It's more balanced than a stock boulevardier. 

A little detour on the way to the Manhattan. This is pretty dang good! 

3C58CE5F-ADC8-41CC-A4EB-5557EE056310.jpeg

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, MM818 said:

I received a bottle of 4R small batch for Xmas. Cocktail #1 for the evening.  Probably moving to a Manhattan next. (All that vermouth shelf life talk has gotten me motivated!)

7A3A48B6-86AA-45D3-A805-F2782E0EBC15.jpeg

There you go! Nice.

Done with the beer, now on to a Rare Breed Old Fashioned.  

475A2736-BEF0-45CD-8E0D-D04C828C5EBA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.