Cocktail Hour - 2020

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ah! Well, it’s the thought that counts right? ?

Shoot. How would you make it?

12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Look at you getting all fancy with the Amaro in your Manhattan riff!

? You set the bar high!  I must try and reach it, or go broke first accumulating all these ingredients...  ?

Boulevardier with Aperol instead of Campari.  Not sure what that's called except good.  Another gorgeous day.

IMG_4694.thumb.jpg.81dbf1ee263b1c7343a5a4eee42644de.jpg

Edited by scratchline

On 5/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, scratchline said:

Boulevardier with Aperol instead of Campari.  Not sure what that's called except good.  Another gorgeous day.

IMG_4694.thumb.jpg.81dbf1ee263b1c7343a5a4eee42644de.jpg

Love it.  Personally, I think Campari can be very overpowering.  Aperol is a little milder but changes the flavor profile, for the better in my opinion.

Boulevardier with WT101 rye, antica, and campari while sitting on the back porch. I go pretty heavy handed with the rye. I may have to get another mint plant, slap a leaf, and throw it into one of these soon. 

20200525_194859.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 12:04 PM, flahute said:

Shoot. How would you make it?

When making a classic might as well start with a classic recipe. And there is no more

classic recipe than the Trader Vic’s Mai Tai!

Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)

1 oz Jamaican rum (the original rum of choice was a Wray & Nephew 17yo rum from Jamaica but that has long ago gone the way of the dodo. I like to use Appleton 12)
1 oz Rhum Agricole (Originally the rum above provided all the age and funk required. But with its demise many people will combine the Jamaican rum with a Rhum agricole To try to recreate it. I like Clement 6yo or the new XO. But any Moderately aged Martinique agricole can get the job done.)
3/4 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Curaçao ( I personally have a fondness for replacing the Curaçao with Clement Creole Shrubb)
1/4 oz Orgeat
1/4 oz Simple syrup (to taste. Can easily be withheld)
1 sprig of Mint, firmly slapped (as garnish)

Shake, pour into a low-ball Glass without straining, garnish by sinking half a spent lime shell in the drink and add the mint garnish.

No orange juice or pineapple juice or grenadine need apply! ? 

49 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

When making a classic might as well start with a classic recipe. And there is no more

classic recipe than the Trader Vic’s Mai Tai!

Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)

1 oz Jamaican rum (the original rum of choice was a Wray & Nephew 17yo rum from Jamaica but that has long ago gone the way of the dodo. I like to use Appleton 12)
1 oz Rhum Agricole (Originally the rum above provided all the age and funk required. But with its demise many people will combine the Jamaican rum with a Rhum agricole To try to recreate it. I like Clement 6yo or the new XO. But any Moderately aged Martinique agricole can get the job done.)
3/4 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Curaçao ( I personally have a fondness for replacing the Curaçao with Clement Creole Shrubb)
1/4 oz Orgeat
1/4 oz Simple syrup (to taste. Can easily be withheld)
1 sprig of Mint, firmly slapped (as garnish)

Shake, pour into a low-ball Glass without straining, garnish by sinking half a spent lime shell in the drink and add the mint garnish.

No orange juice or pineapple juice or grenadine need apply! ? 

The master has spoken. I will assemble the ingredients and try this for myself.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

The master has spoken. I will assemble the ingredients and try this for myself.

Everybody say goodbye to Steve as we know him.  He’s going on a little expensive journey into the Bruce Cocktail Zone...

Steve’s house, May 26, 2021:

57 Jamaican Rums

40 Rhum Agricoles

9 varieties of limes

18 Curacaos

3 trips to Curaçao to tour Curaçao producers.

6 books on proper Shrubb making.

17 Orgeats (including 9 failed attempts and one small oven fire, to make own orgeat).

27 notes scattered around house reminding him how to pronounce orgeat.

(14) 50 lbs bags of different types of sugar.

$70 per month delivery service of Fiji water.

36 varieties of mint growing in back yard

and,

3 hand made crafted mint slappers.  (Favorite being one carved from a narwhal tusk and believed to have once belonged to Thor Heyerdahl.

?

Edited by smokinjoe

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Everybody say goodbye to Steve as we know him.  He’s going on a little expensive journey into the Bruce Cocktail Zone...

Steve’s house, May 26, 2021:

57 Jamaican Rums

40 Rhum Agricoles

9 varieties of limes

18 Curacaos

6 books on proper Shrubb making.

17 Orgeats (including 9 failed attempts and one small oven fire, to make own orgeat).

27 notes scattered around house reminding him how to pronounce orgeat.

(14) 50 lbs bags of different types of sugar.

$70 per month delivery service of Fiji water.

36 varieties of mint growing in back yard

and,

3 hand made crafted mint slappers.  (Favorite being one carved from a narwhal tusk and believed to have once belonged to Thor Heyerdahl.

?

LOL! I am so doomed.

29 minutes ago, flahute said:

LOL! I am so doomed.

That’s OK.  There’s a huge open bar at the  end of the rabbit hole he has you plummeting down...  ?. I know, cuz I seen it...

99 bottles of Amaro on the wall, 99 bottles of Amaro...Take one down, pass it around...98 bottles of Amaro on the wall.

98 bottles of Amaro....

I thought that Heyerdal’s mint slapper was lost with the Kon Tiki? ?

Biba! Joe

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Your brother needs an intervention before it's too late ? ?

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Your brother needs an intervention before it's too late ? ?

We are beyond the possibility of intervention.  Bruce is like the Rasputin of cocktails.  Once you engage, there is no turning back! . It’s the EYES!!!  ?

Are you saying that everyone does not need a quiver of mint slappers?

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That may be a bit much given there is only one Curaçao producer left in Curaçao! That would be “Senor” Curaçao by the way.

Steve might have acquired a little something something down in the islands to bring him back so often...

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I know that one is certainly my favorite one in my collection!

?

• I like it 1

We received a Curaçao that was made in France, for Christmas. We haven't opened it, yet.

Ah, starting this weekend a little early, today.  TANSTAAFL2’s Foster and Third gets the ball rolling.  ?

E5B97E7E-3E78-48D5-AA17-AD7DC640D75D.jpeg

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ah, starting this weekend a little early, today.  TANSTAAFL2’s Foster and Third gets the ball rolling.  ?

E5B97E7E-3E78-48D5-AA17-AD7DC640D75D.jpeg

Bold choice! Nothing like little Fernet to kick off the weekend.

Something about a sunny and low 80’s afternoon just screams for a Negroni.  I enjoy adjusting the amounts of the gin, Campari, and Vermouth.  Today, 2/1.5/.75. Perhaps, the Campari may be dominating the Vermouth a bit too much this time, but still very nice.  

CC47A007-EBEB-4767-A4C2-56655228061C.jpeg

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Something about a sunny and low 80’s afternoon just screams for a Negroni.  I enjoy adjusting the amounts of the gin, Campari, and Vermouth.  Today, 2/1.5/.75. Perhaps, the Campari may be dominating the Vermouth a bit too much this time, but still very nice.  

Warm day in Seattle yesterday had me drinking the same! Cool and rainy today to I'm in hibernation mode which always calls for something barrel proof.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Joe, you sure know how fancify your cocktails with a garnish and a background of flowers. Cheers to that nice pour!

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Joe, you sure know how fancify your cocktails with a garnish and a background of flowers. Cheers to that nice pour!

My brother does everything in great style.

Wait until I break out my little umbrella collection!  ?  

55 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Wait until I break out my little umbrella collection!  ?  

If only we could combine your umbrella collection with Bruce's end of the rabbit hole open bar.........

On 5/30/2020 at 9:28 PM, flahute said:

If only we could combine your umbrella collection with Bruce's end of the rabbit hole open bar.........

Hey, just wait a minute. I have my own umbrella collection!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.