Mislabeled Elijah Craig?

Theantiquetiger2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked this up yesterday, $30. It’s the first time this store ever did a barrel pick. It says 94 proof. My damn mouth is numb.  It’s gotta be 130+ proof. 

Have you ever seen this before?

its basically a 10 yr old BP

IihIAYk.jpg

• I like it 1

Hmmmmm.   That sounds so unlikely.   But, of course nothing is impossible, eh?   

How did that pour affect your brain?   Did it seem like a 'double' to your mind and body... or only really hot in your mouth?   I realize that this is a very poor way to ascertain proof/abv; but unless one has a hydrometer (is that the right word?) it might give at least a quick impression about the alcohol content.   An even more meaningful way, though maybe not pleasant for your head the next day, would be to down about 4-ounces and see how that hits you.   I leave it to you to decide about that sort of experiment.

Another, probably way better, way to get some info about this pick would be to ask the proprietor who's responsible for the selection/bottling.

Please let us all know what you determine, if you would Theantiquetiger2.     This is a potentially very interesting bottling!

• I like it 1

Do you have a kitchen scale? I know this sounds crazy, but if you have one, you could use that to determine proof.

Measure out 90ml (3oz) and weight it. If it weighs closer to 81g, it is 94 proof. If it weighs 78g (or less) it is barrel proof (125+ proof).

• I like it 3

"Get the Gunpowder, Mawd."

I can tell from the color of the whiskey in the bottle that it is the 94 proof ECSB.  

I've had some that drink hot and sparky.  Decant some off down to the shoulder and then tuck it away for a few weeks.  

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Do you have a kitchen scale? I know this sounds crazy, but if you have one, you could use that to determine proof.

Measure out 90ml (3oz) and weight it. If it weighs closer to 81g, it is 94 proof. If it weighs 78g (or less) it is barrel proof (125+ proof).

Wow, that's really cool!!!!!   My old triple beam has a new lease on life ?

I agree that the idea that a BP barrel slipping through the cracks is pretty unlikely.  You just hear so many stories of groups/stores begging for their ER/EC/OF barrel picks to be kept at cask strength vs being proofed down and it is always rejected.  Shout out to Old Fo for listening to customers in 2020!  

192 bottles seems like it would be a high yield for a 10 year BP bourbon, but my math says that comes out to just over 38 gallons of liquid so maybe that is not a sign?  

6 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Seconded that this is super cool!  I had no idea proof affected weight.   So an ECBP bottle should weigh about 25g more than the regular EC?  Wild

44 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I agree that the idea that a BP barrel slipping through the cracks is pretty unlikely.  You just hear so many stories of groups/stores begging for their ER/EC/OF barrel picks to be kept at cask strength vs being proofed down and it is always rejected.  Shout out to Old Fo for listening to customers in 2020!  

192 bottles seems like it would be a high yield for a 10 year BP bourbon, but my math says that comes out to just over 38 gallons of liquid so maybe that is not a sign?  

Your instinct is correct. 192 bottles of BP whiskey (and EC tends to run in the 130's) at 10yrs of age is highly unlikely. Possible if from a very low floor, but unlikely. I've done 7 EC picks and the yields have all been below 192 and none of them got accidentally bottled at BP. (Though I really wish they had!)

• I like it 1

On 2/13/2020 at 8:22 AM, clearmoon247 said:

Gonna try this right now

On 2/13/2020 at 8:22 AM, clearmoon247 said:

Ok, I did this test.  I measured as carefully as I could. I think I over poured a few drops. 

It weighs 77g

XMIH8Sj.jpg

5BUybSr.jpg

• I like it 1

Well, you can't beat science! 

Good job. I can guess that your bottle should be ~130 proof (ish) based on that weight.

Well, I'll be damned!     I woulda bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that it would prove to be 94-proof.    ?

That is an AMAZING mistake for a major distillery to make... even on a private pick.    I wonder if this was done on-purpose-with-a-wink?   ?

3 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Good job. I can guess that your bottle should be ~130 proof (ish) based on that weight.

I think for the first time in over 50 years that I can now say I understand the concept of “molality”.  If not, don’t spoil my AHA! by telling me this isn’t it.?

• I like it 2

Wow what a score and cool story. A couple years ago I bought a knob creek single barrel that was signed by Freddie Knoe. The store said the bottles signed by Freddie were barrel proof as opposed to the 120 proof. I tasted it and it was absolutely amazing and even compared to regular SiB and it was obvious it was more viscous and full bodied. Win either way.

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I think for the first time in over 50 years that I can now say I understand the concept of “molality”.  If not, don’t spoil my AHA! by telling me this isn’t it.?

Nerd alert!  But I know what Harry meant - guess that makes me certified as well???    ?

10 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Wow what a score and cool story. A couple years ago I bought a knob creek single barrel that was signed by Freddie Knoe. The store said the bottles signed by Freddie were barrel proof as opposed to the 120 proof. I tasted it and it was absolutely amazing and even compared to regular SiB and it was obvious it was more viscous and full bodied. Win either way.

Cheers!

Was this the 25th anniversary release?  Those were cask strength and had Freddie's signature printed on the label. 

16 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Funny thing is, a lot of people I know bought one and they say their bottles are 94 proof (or they don’t know what 130 proof taste like).  I went and bought another one but cannot decide to crack it or not. 

Can some one do this math for me?

a 10 year old barrel, let’s say 130 proof, cut to 94 proof, what should the yield be?

They got 192 bottles

Ok, mystery builds...

I opened my other bottle and it’s 94 proof. 

Have you you ever heard of a bottle not being cut?  Is the cut done in a vat or in each bottle?

aAKPBiz.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

Can some one do this math for me?

a 10 year old barrel, let’s say 130 proof, cut to 94 proof, what should the yield be?

They got 192 bottles

I have an RRSiB that is 3 weeks from 10 yrs old that yielded 80 bottles at 110 proof. You never know. 

48 minutes ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

Ok, mystery builds...

Have you you ever heard of a bottle not being cut?  Is the cut done in a vat or in each bottle?

aAKPBiz.jpg

They add water then bottle. Could have forgot to cut, started bottling, realized the mistake and corrected it without dumping the BP bottles??

Or your scales are off and it just came off hot after opening. 

Edited by CUfan99

3 hours ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

Ok, mystery builds...

aAKPBiz.jpg

HUH?   Now that's another head-scratcher, ain't it?   This just keeps getting more and more peculiar, don't it?

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

Was this the 25th anniversary release?  Those were cask strength and had Freddie's signature printed on the label. 

No it was just a single barrel. Freddie signed maybe 5 bottles all of which were barrel proof and the others the standard 120 proof. 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Theantiquetiger2 said:

Ok, mystery builds...

aAKPBiz.jpg

If you have a column and a hydrometer (and have an accurate reading of the ambient temperature and conversion scale) you can measure proof directly. Ok, maybe not so easy but perhaps more definitive. 

Actually you don’t even need temperature if you just want to see if the proof is the same or not.

14F7EF27-7339-43C1-80EC-F90A3B095B9E.jpeg.ec5ebec295447b88c36ab0aea2c88d22.jpeg

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.