Canadian Bourbon?

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I have a really stupid question.   I understand the Canadian whiskey process but I was curious if any Canadian distillers produced a product using the bourbon process.  I also understand that it cannot be called bourbon as it is not produced in the US. I did a little research and the only thing that I could find was an article that stated that one distiller produced a product using the bourbon process but it was only used in blend and was never sold as a standalone product and that they never called it bourbon (For obvious reasons).

Anyone have anymore information on this?

So I have a really stupid question.   I understand the Canadian whiskey process but I was curious if any Canadian distillers produced a product using the bourbon process.  I also understand that it cannot be called bourbon as it is not produced in the US. I did a little research and the only thing that I could find was an article that stated that one distiller produced a product using the bourbon process but it was only used in blend and was never sold as a standalone product and that they never called it bourbon (For obvious reasons).

Anyone have anymore information on this?
Hmmm I know the majority use ex bourbon barrels but using the bourbon process I have no idea. Who was the distiller? I wouldn't mind reading up on that.

The distiller was specifically not mentioned. I assume because they did not want it disclosed. 

Crown Royal did this little tap dance a couple of years ago with their "Bourbon Mash".  The label was initially approved by the TTB (not so surprising) but they later correted their mistake and withdrew the approval. Now THAT was surprising.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:08 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Crown Royal did this little tap dance a couple of years ago with their "Bourbon Mash".  The label was initially approved by the TTB (not so surprising) but they later correted their mistake and withdrew the approval. Now THAT was surprising.

That was later re-labeled as "Blenders Mash".     I understand that it is the product of a bourbon-style mash bill (at least 51% corn) that is normally utilized as part of the CR blend.    I'm not altogether clear on that -  I had thought that what the Canadians generally do is distill "100%" grains  (e.g., corn, rye, etc,)  and then blend those separately-distilled spirits into the final product.     Another difference,  I presume, is that a Canadian corn-centric mashbill or blend isn't necessarily aged in a new charred oak barrel as a bourbon must be.

For what it's worth,   I strongly recommend Gooberham and Worts (spelling?)  Four Grain whiskey as both a tasty, satisfying pour and the closest Canadian I've found to an American bourbon.   

• I like it 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jazzhead said:

For what it's worth,   I strongly recommend Gooberham and Worts (spelling?)  Four Grain whiskey as both a tasty, satisfying pour and the closest Canadian I've found to an American bourbon.   

Gooderham & Worts. I was less impressed with it than you were. 

It’s just another young Canadian whisky, eh! B)

It's a sweet pour, to be sure,  and it may be on the young side, at least for a Canadian  (8 - 12-year Canadian being commonly available for under 25  bucks a bottle).   But I like it enough to add the dregs  to the solera bottle.    That solera bottle, which I nipped from tonight,  is nowadays on uncharted ground  - it's better than any open bottle of bourbon on my shelf.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.