Looking for a recommendation

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So my normal daily sippers are ritt 100, baby saz, and bonesnapper rye(mgp). But I found that I really enjoyed lock stock and barrel 13, wp 15, and little book ch2 as special sippers. I like them very much as a special treat, but not often due to the price. I really don't mind paying those prices for the occasional bottle though. I have noticed a similarity in these bottles that really seems to scratch a certain itch. Any recommendations as to other bottles which may have similar profiles eh?

Hochstadter’s Family Reserve 16yo Straight Rye Whiskey @ 61.9% ABV.

Similar price in some cases as the WhistlePig 15yo but significantly higher in proof.

• I like it 1

I'm not really a rye guy, but many folks here have sung the praises of Old Forester Rye. I have faith in my SB brethren. That being said, I've recommended the OF Rye to others, and I'd recommend it to you too.  Enjoy!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Sounds to me like you enjoy the Canadian/ADL style. I would normally suggest WP 10 store picks but it's become next to impossible to tell whether they're MGP or ADL these days, short of asking WP over email. Maybe try Lot 40 too if you haven't.

...that said, part of me wants to say if Pikesville isn't the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

• I like it 2

I like old Forester, love pikesville. But this question was about well aged adl rye on the market I may be overlooking. Also I heard there may be a rare breed rye this year. Pretty excited to see if that comes true.

48 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sounds to me like you enjoy the Canadian/ADL style. I would normally suggest WP 10 store picks but it's become next to impossible to tell whether they're MGP or ADL these days, short of asking WP over email. Maybe try Lot 40 too if you haven't.

...that said, part of me wants to say if Pikesville isn't the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

Thanks for your interest in WhistlePig Single Barrel Rye. Each Single Barrel is aged a minimum of 10 years, with origin stated on the back of the label. The proof and individual character of the barrel make each WhistlePig Single Barrel unique. I hope this answered your question. Enjoy!

It would seem wp is becoming less forthcoming with that info as of late. I submitted my request for barrel info from a store pick with every detail on the bottle Ang got this in return.

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Hochstadter’s Family Reserve 16yo Straight Rye Whiskey @ 61.9% ABV.

Similar price in some cases as the WhistlePig 15yo but significantly higher in proof.

I liked it very well. Anything from RJ Cooper is absolutely fantastic.

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

Thanks for your interest in WhistlePig Single Barrel Rye. Each Single Barrel is aged a minimum of 10 years, with origin stated on the back of the label. The proof and individual character of the barrel make each WhistlePig Single Barrel unique. I hope this answered your question. Enjoy!

It would seem wp is becoming less forthcoming with that info as of late. I submitted my request for barrel info from a store pick with every detail on the bottle Ang got this in return.

That there is a triple distilled response that went through PR, Legal, and the C-suite.

• I like it 2

If you like little book 2, try little book 3 as well.   Even pricier but worth it.  

As far as ryes go, try new riff as well.   Only a 4 year but of the same style by my taste buds.

• 2 weeks later...

So I really liked Templeton 10 year, redemption 10 year, and backbone's x-ray... Any suggestions for what rye I might try next?

19 hours ago, Mattk said:

So I really liked Templeton 10 year, redemption 10 year, and backbone's x-ray... Any suggestions for what rye I might try next?

Rossville Union barrel proof rye (if it's available in your area).

The barrel proof really ups the flavor and richness of the liquid.  I believe it was only around 112p.

Delicious blend of both MGP rye mash bills.  I find it to be the perfect blend of spicy & sweet.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about the black Maple hills rye from last year. I have a chance at up to three bottles, one is going to be held for me. A local restaurant skipped on their shipment. Without trying one first before buying I'm kind of skeptical about spending that much right now, but haven't ever seen one in the wild.

5 hours ago, Mattk said:

Anyone know anything about the black Maple hills rye from last year. I have a chance at up to three bottles, one is going to be held for me. A local restaurant skipped on their shipment. Without trying one first before buying I'm kind of skeptical about spending that much right now, but haven't ever seen one in the wild.

It's crap. Don't do it.

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, flahute said:

It's crap. Don't do it.

This....so much this!!

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, flahute said:

It's crap. Don't do it.

I just hate it when Steve is so indecisive with his opinions :D

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tried one anyways, now I know. I have to say it's not terrible, but I'd certainly have something else first. Tastes of extra malt  and prunes, almost like the weird willet I had the other day, although slightly better.

Edited by Mattk

@Mattk

I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but I would also recommend trying Wild Turkey 101 rye if you can get it in your area.  It is very good and only $35 ish / liter here.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

@Mattk

I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but I would also recommend trying Wild Turkey 101 rye if you can get it in your area.  It is very good and only $35 ish / liter here.

I do wt 101 and 81. A few weeks ago I tried to proof down the 101 to 81 just to see. Guess I don't have the water for it. I really liked the cornerstone.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

@Mattk

Very fine suggestion.  Very good neat.  Fantastic in a cocktail.  

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been enjoying a thh, a rough rider big stick, and the last of a saos. What other high proofers would you recommend?

• I like it 1

^^^If you haven't already done so, I'd head straight to the Pikesville. 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:14 AM, flahute said:

It's crap. Don't do it.

Oh, I wish I'd seen this sooner.  I'd have also said to pass.  Somebody gave me a sip.  I'm thinking of suing for "elder abuse".:D

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Oh, I wish I'd seen this sooner.  I'd have also said to pass.  Somebody gave me a sip.  I'm thinking of suing for "elder abuse".:D

I got one, actually quite liked it. It does have an interesting profile, and is not a daily sipper, but I'm happy enough with it.

45 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I got one, actually quite liked it. It does have an interesting profile, and is not a daily sipper, but I'm happy enough with it.

Hhhhmm.  Maybe it was the circumstance.  I will try it again, but likely it will be somebody else's 750.  More than once, my first impression was off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.