Looking for a recommendation

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhmm.  Maybe it was the circumstance.  I will try it again, but likely it will be somebody else's 750.  More than once, my first impression was off.

Definitely an odd profile, full of prunes, not a $90 bottle. But very cool if you are in the mood. I find it to be nice in between a daily and something really strong flavored. Lately my final pours have been of copper fox or big stick. But I just picked up a willet 4 I'm really happy with.

• I like it 1

Has anyone tried a thistle Finch wheated rye from this year?

20 hours ago, Mattk said:

Definitely an odd profile, full of prunes, not a $90 bottle. But very cool if you are in the mood. I find it to be nice in between a daily and something really strong flavored. Lately my final pours have been of copper fox or big stick. But I just picked up a willet 4 I'm really happy with.

No kidding.  Copper Fox?  I still  have a partial bottle of Rick Wasmund's early malt "less than 90 days old".  Bought it 2007-2010 or so on a whim as it was a malt whisky "Made in Virginia".  Maybe I'll go find it . . .

• I like it 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mattk said:

Has anyone tried a from this year?

Never heard of it. Have to admit at first read I thought maybe it was some rare bird species! Given it appears to be exclusive to PA which is in full liquor lockdown I am not going to see one anytime soon. But given it is a 2yo craft rye at $47 I am not likely to buy one anyway. Given the PA Big Brother liquor sales monopoly I am not inclined to buy liquor in PA in general.

Now if someone is pouring some...

Edited by tanstaafl2

Anyone see an old Carter batch 5 or 6 straight rye yet? I've come across many more then I thought I would. I'm going to at least try one of each.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, Mattk said:

Anyone see an old Carter batch 5 or 6 straight rye yet? I've come across many more then I thought I would. I'm going to at least try one of each.

Did you end up trying one of the new batch 5 or 6 ryes yet? Looks like they will show up here soon, so curious what it’s like.

8 hours ago, kipe said:

Did you end up trying one of the new batch 5 or 6 ryes yet?

I have not. I'm planning on opening it on father's day. I am hoping it drinks like a higher proof bonesnapper. But I'll make sure to post after I taste it

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the rye version 5 - taste like the holidays to me.   Brown sugar, molasses, cherries, etc.   Not as powerful as I would have hoped for the price, but great nonetheless.

So I actually ended up drinking a hotchsteader's 16 on father's day. Still haven't gotten around bro opening the old Carter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.