Jump to content

What wine to buy?


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

I saw this article on-line which says there is (or will be) a surplus and some great deals in wine.  We don't drink much wine (and what we do is the sub-$20 variety; we know what we like).  Not looking to get into wine in a big way, but curious if any SB'ers are "in the know" and have any suggestions on bottles they'd recommend folks pick up on the cheap now (that might punch above their weight in a few years)?

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/business/grape-surplus-cheap-wine-trnd/index.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Boone's Farm is pretty much a must have... :D

I’m with Bruce. ?

 

Biba! Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 6:48 PM, GaryT said:

I saw this article on-line which says there is (or will be) a surplus and some great deals in wine.  We don't drink much wine (and what we do is the sub-$20 variety; we know what we like).  Not looking to get into wine in a big way, but curious if any SB'ers are "in the know" and have any suggestions on bottles they'd recommend folks pick up on the cheap now (that might punch above their weight in a few years)?

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/business/grape-surplus-cheap-wine-trnd/index.html

 

Gary, I see you’ve already received several great responses to your question, but I thought I’d try to add a few thoughts. ?

 

I’m by no means a wine expert, and I don’t have any specific wine recommendations for you, but in general I’d say that there are probably very few wines at the sub $20 price point that are truly cellar worthy. However, there are a lot of wines below $20 that are really great for the price and are ready to enjoy now or over the next few years. There are also quite a few more expensive wines, particularly some of the conglomerate owned brands, that are not really worth the price they command these days. Good luck on your wine journey!

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Gary, I see you’ve already received several great responses to your question, but I thought I’d try to add a few thoughts. ?

 

When I saw this pop this morning, I thought "I posted in a thread about wine??"  and was REALLY surprised to see "Oh no - I STARTED a thread about wine" :lol:  

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GaryT said:

When I saw this pop this morning, I thought "I posted in a thread about wine??"  and was REALLY surprised to see "Oh no - I STARTED a thread about wine" :lol:  

Well, I’m sure you just forgot because your question was so eloquently answered by the earlier wine authorities on the forum. ??

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to Trader Joe's and try some of the different Charles Shaw varieties.  It's basic table wine from CA.  Also, there are red wines from Argentina and Chile that may be worth your attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.