Dickel

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Would George D do better if they could lose the vitamin flavor?  Or are they doing just fine with it? (even though seemingly most bourbon lovers (On SB at least) have something negative to say about it? 
Also.. i think i recall at BT them saying Dickel was distilled there during prohibition..wonder if their distillate from that era had any vitamin flavor.. or if it tasted like GTS?

• I like it 1

Is it possible that they use limestone water for proofing down? I know most distilleries use RO water which is very neutral. I'm curious to find more cask strength dickel to see if that note is there.

Apparently it has people buying it.  Liquor stores and some grocery stores have carried it for years in my area.  It's not hard to find.  Personally, not a fan of the vitamins aftertaste.  I do like their rye (sourced from MGP).

In the interest of diversity, I stand with Dickel!!   ✊

• I like it 7

I enjoy Dickel on occasion and have a bottle on the shelf. I generally drink it on the rocks. It’s not the best and not my go to but, it’s a fine drink. 

I don't mind GD; but absolutely do find that 'green apples'/flintstones vitamins note to be quite obvious.   

My personal opinion is that some folx find it very dominant, and some find it pretty subtle; not sure why the difference.   Could it be that some folx have a genetic variation one way or the other . . . like asparagus' known effects are 'unknown' to some, and well-known to others?

I don't reach often for Dickel; but the 'new' BIB is a strep up for my taste buddies (or a step down for vitamins, maybe?).   

Anyway, I say they are doing just what they want to be doing and doing exactly the way the should.   It gives them a kind of guaranteed niche in the ever-more-crowded field of Bourbons.   

...And, there a good many (here included!) that find their profile to be right in their wheelhouses!

Edited by Richnimrod
Oooops: Typo. Fixt.
  • I like it 2

Dickel is a favorite of mine. The vitamin note  is what makes it unique to me. I don't find it off putting at all.... I kind of like it. 

• I like it 4

I can usually almost instantly tell a Dickel distillate from the nose alone. The vitamin note is very off putting to me. I found  it still there heavily in the new bib and couldn"t even finish a 1 oz pour.

I've always assumed it is their water source that imparts that smell/taste, but I don't know. Whatever it is, I don't like it. I understand that there are many that do. They seem to be doing just fine as a company. 

Could it be the yeast strain they use that imparts the vitamin flavor?  Or a combination of yeast and the Lincoln County process? Whatever it is, I don’t particularly care for it.

Biba! Joe

I really enjoy the Dickel flavor.  The 9 Year Hand-Selected Barrel is a favorite of mine.  I haven't seen it in a year or two but will buy it if it becomes available in my area again.

Edited by Journeyman

55 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Could it be the yeast strain they use that imparts the vitamin flavor?  Or a combination of yeast and the Lincoln County process? Whatever it is, I don’t particularly care for it.

Biba! Joe

I'd bet on it being the yeast for sure.

• I like it 2

I have a "been here before in a previous lifetime" bond with the Cascade Hollow facility-- I visit as often as possible.

Right now I'm savoring a 9yo Middlebrook Liquors PS in a George Dickel glass. Yes, it's distinctive, polarizing and difficult to get along with-- but so am I.

• I like it 4

This is the most positive stuff ive heard about Dickel on here ever. I liked the BiB 13 quite a bit. In the original question, I wasnt Dickel shaming.. just asking a question because it gets so many negative comments on here.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Didn't think of that. I guess really just a combination of everything that gives its signature. 

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

The vitamin note is very off putting to me. I found  it still there heavily in the new bib 

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Whatever it is, I don’t particularly care for it.

Squarely in this camp. The Dickel minerality or vitamin or whatever is just not my cup of tea currently.  I also thought it was very present in the BiB.  

I’m a Dickel fanboy...always have been. I agree that the vitamin note is always present, but sometimes it’s very subtle, especially as it gets older. Like some others have stated, I can also usually tell if it’s Dickel just from the nose. I’m not always in the mood for the Dickel taste profile, but when I am it’s hard for me not to have another pour...and then another! I suspect the vitamin note comes from the yeast, the very high corn content in the mash bill, and maybe even the type of corn used. The taste reminds me of some cheap cornbread mixes that I ate a lot of growing up. That cornbread had a very similar mineral vitamin note in the flavor.

• I like it 3

What's wrong with the vitamin flavor? I can't be the only one who spends 5 minutes huffing my vitamin box every day.

Nothing “wrong” with it anymore than the Jim Beam funk or any other distillery characteristic. Just personal preference and taste buds.
  • I like it 4

I'm a Cascade Hollow Fanboy, but even so, at times I'm just not in the mood for that profile. I do find it less in the BIB than the 12. 

• I like it 1

It's interesting that the white unaged corn whiskey doesn't have any of the vitamin flavor so it must be a combination of things and related to aging in the barrel.  I also have an original 1960 something "Romulan Ale" bottle and a 1970 something pint bottle that does not have the vitamin flavor in it.  So not entirely sure when that flavor profile started showing up and what changed

• I like it 1

I enjoy it on occasion, as well as some of the Barrell bottlings, but the mineral/vitamin note, for me, is not very enjoyable.  I would recommend taking the tour at Dickel though, really nice grounds and setting for a distillery, and informative tour (as of 2010 or so).

33 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

I enjoy it on occasion, as well as some of the Barrell bottlings, but the mineral/vitamin note, for me, is not very enjoyable.  I would recommend taking the tour at Dickel though, really nice grounds and setting for a distillery, and informative tour (as of 2010 or so).

If you toured Cascade Hollow in '10 or so, you must have been in that TINY visitors center / gift shop, eh?   Was that place a hoot or what?    Even with the relatively small selection of souvenirs, it was still totally crammed, and almost impossible to get around the front part (where the gifts were) without bumping into someone.   ...And, that little tasting 'bar' in back ...so cute!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.