Dickel

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Could it be the yeast strain they use that imparts the vitamin flavor?  Or a combination of yeast and the Lincoln County process? Whatever it is, I don’t particularly care for it.

Biba! Joe

It's been rumored that the 10 foot of sugar maple charcoal used for Lincoln County process tank is separated every 3 feet by a double layer of virgin wool blankets. 

Since "virgin" anything is difficult to find these days, Dickel may be using old salty army blankets or even used horse saddle blankets which impart the mineral flavor.......

Dickle has arrived!  Same price as GTS at a LLS...
371922590_Dickle500.jpg.2103f4e4e212b65eaf0ade64c7fcd007.jpg

I am an avowed drinker, not a collector or reseller. However, if I was walking out of the liquor store with a GDBIB and someone stopped me and offered five Franklins....well, I don’t want to think about that. It gives me a shudder like the devil running his fingers down my spine.
  • I like it 3

On 2/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, BigRich said:

I am an avowed drinker, not a collector or reseller. However, if I was walking out of the liquor store with a GDBIB and someone stopped me and offered five Franklins....well, I don’t want to think about that. It gives me a shudder like the devil running his fingers down my spine.

Hell, if there is a market where folks are paying that much for GDBIB, I say we buy a few cases, make a road-trip, and use the proceeds to buy . . . well . . . anything.  Guessing that bottle will be collecting dust for many years.  

That's just silly.  Seriously hope someone just wasn't paying attention and trying to tag it at $49.99 (still too high) and then thought "Damn, we better lock this up!"

Thinking back on the polarizing opinions on Dickel and it’s house vitamin note, I think it should be said that the note itself is not a defect, fault, or sign of a poorly made whiskey.  It’s just a house note that some have a huge aversion to, while others quite enjoy.  I liken it to peated scotch.  Some people, even every day scotch enthusiasts, positively despise the bandaid and ashtray flavor, while others crave it. For both, It’s simply a matter of personal taste, and not a reflection on quality.  

• I like it 5

On 2/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, VAGentleman said:

It's interesting that the white unaged corn whiskey doesn't have any of the vitamin flavor so it must be a combination of things and related to aging in the barrel.  I also have an original 1960 something "Romulan Ale" bottle and a 1970 something pint bottle that does not have the vitamin flavor in it.  So not entirely sure when that flavor profile started showing up and what changed

Does the moonshine go through the same filtration process as 8 and 12? Don't see how the barrel could be responsible or the vitamin note would be a feature of all bourbons. 

Thinking back on the polarizing opinions on Dickel and it’s house vitamin note, I think it should be said that the note itself is not a defect, fault, or sign of a poorly made whiskey.  It’s just a house note that some have a huge aversion to, while others quite enjoy.  I liken it to peated scotch.  Some people, even every day scotch enthusiasts, positively despise the bandaid and ashtray flavor, while others crave it. For both, It’s simply a matter of personal taste, and not a reflection on quality.  

I whole heartedly agree. And now that you liken it to scotch it got me thinking reflectively. I really enjoy “pronounced” flavor in scotch much more than the middle of the road types. Sherry bombs and peat monsters are my jam. But when it comes to bourbons, I find those heavy nuances (which I believe are yeast driven until proven otherwise) from houses like Beam, Daniels, and Dickel to be rather off putting. Different strokes for different folks. The variety allows for a little something for everyone.
  • I like it 3

Hmmm....just like some people despise the tar and burning tire funk in some quality rums perhaps? [emoji3]

3 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Does the moonshine go through the same filtration process as 8 and 12? Don't see how the barrel could be responsible or the vitamin note would be a feature of all bourbons. 

According to their website it does

George Dickel No. 1 is the foundation where all of George Dickel’s handcrafted corn-based whiskies begin. Crafted in Tullahoma from the same mash bill as our No. 8, No. 12 and Barrel Select whiskies, and finished with the signature Dickel "Chill Charcoal Mellowing" process, our No. 1 Foundation Recipe is the finest un-aged whisky around.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:31 AM, ebo said:

Dickel is a favorite of mine. The vitamin note  is what makes it unique to me. I don't find it off putting at all.... I kind of like it. 

Same here.   Dickel's flavor is unique, and when I'm in the mood for it,  I'm glad to have a bottle around.   In a world where many of the legacy distillers' bourbons may be difficult to distinguish when tasted blind,  I like Dickel's different and distinctive take.

I wonder whether that difference is mostly the result of the  mashbill -  a much higher percentage of corn than most other bourbons. 

Query - is it possible for a NDP to get  barrels of Dickel that haven't gone through the "Lincoln Country Process"?    Charcoal mellowing impacts flavor (supposedly in the name of "smoothness" or as Budweiser likes to say, drinkability),  and I think it would be interesting to compare Dickel both with and without the charcoal mellowing.  

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Same here.   Dickel's flavor is unique, and when I'm in the mood for it,  I'm glad to have a bottle around.   In a world where many of the legacy distillers' bourbons may be difficult to distinguish when tasted blind,  I like Dickel's different and distinctive take.

I wonder whether that difference is mostly the result of the  mashbill -  a much higher percentage of corn than most other bourbons. 

Query - is it possible for a NDP to get  barrels of Dickel that haven't gone through the "Lincoln Country Process"?    Charcoal mellowing impacts flavor (supposedly in the name of "smoothness" or as Budweiser likes to say, drinkability),  and I think it would be interesting to compare Dickel both with and without the charcoal mellowing.  

I have really good palate memory so distinguishing between the different distilleries blind tends to be easier for me than others. It's also why the Dickel vitamin is so obvious to me!

I'm pretty sure the vitamin note is from the yeast. BT is very high corn and doesn't have it. Corn whiskey doesn't have it.

The Lincoln County Process occurs before the whiskey goes in the barrel so It's unlikely any NDP can get it without.

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, smokinjoe said:

Well said Joe. I for instance have a strong aversion to JBW and to varying degrees sub 8yr BEAM in general, excluding OGD which I love (different yeast AFAIK).  Beam is without a doubt a quality product, just not in my wheelhouse, or my wheel houses wheelhouse or...  however the quality was never in question, just the flavor profile. That said I certainly am glad that the various distilleries have and nurture a house style. Regarding Dickle, I remain fan as I was since my first sip many years ago, the flavor profile is certainly recognizable, unique and to my taste downright delicious. Vive La Difference!!

• I like it 3

On 2/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, BigRich said:

Well I have seen it online for a Franklin and a quarter.  If I can find it in a LS here its goes for around 60.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.