Larceny BP opinions

Whiskeythink.com
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently got a push notification giving a chance to buy a Larceny BP. Almost pulled the trigger, but hesitant after all the purchases in the end of '19 & mixed feelings on Larceny. After some reading, this seems to be a very polarizing release. I'm not a fan of the regular stuff, but enjoyed a recent store pic SB I finished (of course part of my cheap ass's enjoyment was a SB for $20, vs a BP thats $50-60 +).

So of those that have had this inaugural release, what are your thoughts on the taste & value on this bottle?

For the proof it drank pretty smooth. It is an easy sipper, but you won't find much complexity in it similar to the standard 92 proof bottle. It is not a bad pour, but I find it a little underwhelming for the $50 price point.

• I like it 2

I liked it quite well.  Thicker and juicier than standard Larceny, which I find more dry like in the Maker's vein.  Sweeter, too.  I haven't spent a ton of time with my bottle yet, but it has shown a nice chocolate note mid and late palate, which I have been enjoying so far.  Very reasonably price for a BP wheater too, IMO.   I'll buy a second.  

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I liked it quite well.  Thicker and juicier than standard Larceny, which I find more dry like in the Maker's vein.  Sweeter, too.  I haven't spent a ton of time with my bottle yet, but it has shown a nice chocolate note mid and late palate, which I have been enjoying so far.  Very reasonably price for a BP wheater too, IMO.   I'll buy a second.  

I am now doomed into making a purchase!

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I'd buy one, if I could find one in town, for under $100 which is what they were asking for the one bottle I did see.

3 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I'd buy one, if I could find one in town, for under $100 which is what they were asking for the one bottle I did see.

Ouch.  That’s at least 2X MSRP, so I   can’t blame a pass there.  

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ouch.  That’s at least 2X MSRP, so I   can’t blame a pass there.  

This particular store is notorious for excessively marking up anything remotely scarce.  I guess sooner or later some sucker walks in and pays what they're asking.  I'm not that sucker however.

• I like it 1

I’ve enjoyed it so far.  I do think they can improve on it, but it’ll be purchased again on the next batch too. 

I realize there's a fairly big proof difference, but I'm interested to hear someone's opinion after doing a sbs with MMCS. Comparably priced and likely comparably aged big wheaters. 

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Got one for $55 plus tax. Pick it up next week. If youre gonna be down here (nashv) anytime soon i can grab another for ya.

Haven’t seen it in Memphis yet, but if Nashville has it, we’ll hopefully see it soon. I’m looking forward to trying it.

So I’m the only person here that finds it to be another line extension of a low shelf product that all of a sudden becomes an allocated bottle that commands a premium. It just makes zero sense to me that most people here would not buy a bottle of Larceny to save their mothers life but all of a sudden they make a “rare” variety of it and you will gladly pay twice as much for a product nobody cared about.  

• I like it 4

Just now, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

So I’m the only person here that finds it to be another line extension of a low shelf product that all of a sudden becomes an allocated bottle that commands a premium. It just makes zero sense to me that most people here would not buy a bottle of Larceny to save their mothers life but all of a sudden they make a “rare” variety of it and you will gladly pay twice as much for a product nobody cared about.  

I agree in principle (I say 'in principle' because I have not tasted a BP version).  

Buy a store pick single barrel Larceny instead for just $22.  That's what I did. Great value for a hand selected product.

4 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Please temper your comment in remembrance that there are indeed many people here that enjoy and regularly purchase Larceny. Allocating this is pure BS, but in my experience it's not all that common. I got mine for free, but every store I walk into (and we're talking Boston downtown and Cambridge MIT area) shelves are three deep with the stuff at $45-50. If I have to pay next time, I'd gladly take Larceny BP over two bottles of the regular.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.