recently picked the first 11 year old Kentucky Spirit

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local bourbon club recently selected the first 11 year old Kentucky Spirit according to Eddie Russell.  Last Friday we went down and since we've picked several RR's over the last few years decided to do a Kentucky Spirit.  He had about 8 barrels that were just shy of 11 years (will be 11 years and 1 or 2 months at the time of bottling) and below 110 proof so they couldn't qualify for the RR program.  We tasted all 8 and all but one were surprisingly good.  Honestly, this is the first private pick my club has done in the last couple of years that I'm actually excited about.  I've been so disappointed in the offerings lately (at all distilleries) that I go in not expecting to find anything really "special" but was pleasantly surprised this time.  

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

My local bourbon club recently selected the first 11 year old Kentucky Spirit according to Eddie Russell.  Last Friday we went down and since we've picked several RR's over the last few years decided to do a Kentucky Spirit.  He had about 8 barrels that were just shy of 11 years (will be 11 years and 1 or 2 months at the time of bottling) and below 110 proof so they couldn't qualify for the RR program.  We tasted all 8 and all but one were surprisingly good.  Honestly, this is the first private pick my club has done in the last couple of years that I'm actually excited about.  I've been so disappointed in the offerings lately (at all distilleries) that I go in not expecting to find anything really "special" but was pleasantly surprised this time.  

That's awesome! I'm guessing it must have been from one of the bottom 4 floors of the rickhouse? 

3 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Honestly, this is the first private pick my club has done in the last couple of years that I'm actually excited about.  I've been so disappointed in the offerings lately (at all distilleries) that I go in not expecting to find anything really "special" but was pleasantly surprised this time.  

Read this several times and still cannot decide if it qualifies for “Bourbon Zen” or “Bourbon Depression”.
?

What’s your daily pleasure or common bar pour?

Edited by 0895

On 2/27/2020 at 5:20 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

I'm in Ohio...any idea what retailers these might end up at, or are all spoken for?

• I like it 1

That's awesome!!  Sub-110 proof barrels sound great.  Did he say why they still chill filter Kentucky Spirit?

I really enjoy KS, much more than RR. This sounds like it will a great bottle. Would be great if we saw some older KS pics around here.

Price point good??  I usually really like any WT with some age, unfortunately WT tends to price age accordingly.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, sbsbsb said:

I'm in Ohio...any idea what retailers these might end up at, or are all spoken for?

Well, Buckeye, you may or may not be aware that the state just began offering barrel selections last year. All of the selections are made by the state. So, if you want to be in on the selection of said barrels, your first task is to apply for a job with Ohio Liquor. Or, if you just want to buy a barrel selection, you need to do a web search to find out what store might be allowed to stock said selections. Be there early because lines begin forming long before the stores open and sell out within minutes. As far as I know, all stores are chosen by the state based on local demographics and sales history. They stores themselves have no voice in it and typically limit customers to one bottle. So far I have managed to score a bottle of Elijah Craig but am on the emailing list for notice of future selections.  Perhaps other Buckeye SBers  can provide additional insight.

20 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

Well, Buckeye, you may or may not be aware that the state just began offering barrel selections last year. All of the selections are made by the state. So, if you want to be in on the selection of said barrels, your first task is to apply for a job with Ohio Liquor. Or, if you just want to buy a barrel selection, you need to do a web search to find out what store might be allowed to stock said selections. Be there early because lines begin forming long before the stores open and sell out within minutes. As far as I know, all stores are chosen by the state based on local demographics and sales history. They stores themselves have no voice in it and typically limit customers to one bottle. So far I have managed to score a bottle of Elijah Craig but am on the emailing list for notice of future selections.  Perhaps other Buckeye SBers  can provide additional insight.

That is pretty accurate for the state barrel picks, however this is a private pick and all bottles will be going to one retailer, however all bottles are spoken for which is actually a requirement to be allowed to do private picks in Ohio.  We have guarantee that all bottles are purchased by us within 24 hours of delivery to the store.

6 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

That is pretty accurate for the state barrel picks, however this is a private pick and all bottles will be going to one retailer, however all bottles are spoken for which is actually a requirement to be allowed to do private picks in Ohio.  We have guarantee that all bottles are purchased by us within 24 hours of delivery to the store.

Dang my home state is pretty effed up in the liquor department. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Dang my home state is pretty effed up in the liquor department. 

I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!    ?

Just laughing with you as a native Oregonian . . . . . . . .   ?

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You’re from Oregon? Never would have guessed that. ?

Biba! Joe

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!    ?

LOL. I was referring to Ohio which is where my family lives. But yes, Washington is pretty effed up as well. At least we have good selection here.

• I like it 1

I may be in a minority but I have always found WTKS to be among my favorite WT offerings.  Full disclosure - I believe most of my purchases have been in the $35 to $40 range.  It is a little drier than WTRB which I also like.  However, based on QPR, the current WT101 is difficult to beat.  

• 3 weeks later...

well with the Corona shutdown maybe this will be the first 12 year old KS!

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

That’s the kind of glass half full positivity America needs right now!  ??  ??  ?????

• I like it 2

On 3/30/2020 at 10:53 AM, ThirstyinOhio said:

Wild Turkey 12/101? If it turns out well, maybe they should look at making that a regular release! :)

• I like it 1

With all this talk of Wild Turkey, I have to relate a funny story. I had a pt appointment yesterday. I got done and as I was headed for my car, I saw something beside another car  at the end of the parking lot. My car was pretty close, so I took a few extra steps to take a look. The car had backed in facing out,  and it looked like someone had sat something down by the rear door and had left it there. As I got closer, it moved. At first I thought it was a Canadian Goose. They’re all over around here. I took couple  more steps and It moved a little more. It was a wild turkey. Not all that uncommon here, even in more populated areas. Still, it was a bit of a surprise. I had to chuckle a bit as I got in my car.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

As I got closer, it moved. At first I thought it was a Canadian Goose. 

Biba! Joe

So you got close enough to check the passport of that Canada goose??? 

Sorry, I can’t help myself!

?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sorry, I can’t help myself!

?

Thanks for saving me from myself, Bruce!  I almost went for that "low hanging fruit" until I read your reply.  I need to go back to bed . . . .   ?

Edited by GeeTen

On 4/1/2020 at 9:45 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

On 4/2/2020 at 5:47 AM, GeeTen said:

Thanks for saving me from myself, Bruce!  I almost went for that "low hanging fruit" until I read your reply.  

“A host of friends. I have a host of friends.”  :rolleyes:  Vosgar knows where this quote came from.

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

“A host of friends. I have a host of friends.”  :rolleyes:  Vosgar knows where this quote came from.

Biba! Joe

Uhhhhhhh.............CRS, Joe. I haven't a clue ?

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

James Caan, El Dorado?

Edited by Phil T

23 minutes ago, Phil T said:

James Caan, El Dorado?

?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.