Recommendations for 9 year age stated “special” bottle

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last November I opened a Weller CYPB in celebration of my 8 year wedding anniversary. I would like to keep the tradition going forward and am looking for ideas for anniversary #9.

Thus far all I can really think of is the Old Fitzgerald 9 year BiB. Other thoughts could be a 9yr MGP like Belle Meade, Smooth Ambler . . . 

Thoughts? 

You MIGHT get lucky and find a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel of that age.    Most (all?) were 10 years old for many years; but around 5-or-6-years ago ages began to creep downward.   Not sure what might be 'out in the wild' now; but you might get a nine-year.

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Nice idea.  However, I expect you may come to regret this tradition in another ten years or so! ?

Haha. What, are you saying you don't have any extra 19yr WLWs laying around?  I got the wife involved last year and she got a kick out of a special bottle being opened for her.  

I have thought a bit about it and looking ahead 13, 14, will be moderately difficult, but 16, 19, 21 & 22 will be pretty hard.  13/14 I can probably find a KC pick or possibly some MGP release.  With the others maybe I take a year off or find something similar, I do have years to prepare!  I probably won't continue much past 23.  One thought is to use a 23 EC for year 21; 23 Evan Williams for 22; and finish with the PVW23.  

I think the 9 yr age stated Knob  Creeks have shown up around  some places.  Perhaps, that could be an option.  

• I like it 2

You might keep an eye out for some PS FR SB picks. Another option would be PS from Signatory, G&M or other darkside bottlers if you're OK with going that direction.

• I like it 1

I'd buy a shit ton of 9 yr KC now . . . and a year from now point out that it was distilled 10 yrs ago, and a year after . . . you get the idea ;)  

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, GaryT said:

I'd buy a shit ton of 9 yr KC now . . . and a year from now point out that it was distilled 10 yrs ago, and a year after . . . you get the idea ;)  

Heehee!  ?? Them’s good Country smarts!  ?

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Last November I opened a Weller CYPB in celebration of my 8 year wedding anniversary. I would like to keep the tradition going forward and am looking for ideas for anniversary #9.

Thus far all I can really think of is the Old Fitzgerald 9 year BiB. Other thoughts could be a 9yr MGP like Belle Meade, Smooth Ambler . . . 

Thoughts? 

You can find Redemption 9 year barrel proof MGP releases. A little pricey of course

• I like it 2

Back this train up for a minute, I want to know what nasty a$$ 1 year old whiskey you had to drink on your 1st anv.  :rolleyes:

• I like it 4

IMO Knob Creek is the quintessential 9 year old bourbon, so it has my vote. If you're not a fan then 9 years is the typical age for WT RR single barrel as JJ mentioned above.

• I like it 1

On 2/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, LCWoody said:

Back this train up for a minute, I want to know what nasty a$$ 1 year old whiskey you had to drink on your 1st anv.  :rolleyes:

Hahaha  Starting this one last year so 8 was the first bottle.  I think I may retroactively put a 7 year Bakers and a 6 year HH BiB on the same shelf, but not going back any further then that!  

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts/suggestions so far!

• I like it 1

Interesting & kewl topic!

Back when my son was born I got a bottle of EC SiB 18yr. I had a drink from it from time to time up till my daughter was born (5 1/2yrs later). Suddenly I ready things how other people had celebrated occasions, and a few that even bought bottles of the year of the kids birth.  So I started this too. I got a bottle of EW SiB of the year my son was born, as well as year my daughter was born. I may open them when they turn of age, but who knows. I also decided that I wanted something to commemorate by 20th Anniv. so over a year ago I began searching for a 20yr scotch (since I was kinda into them more at the time). I found the 1 I wanted and last yr I opened it on such an occasion! 

Being prices are getting higher and higher, I'm already attempting to look for a 25yr, 30yr and maybe (if I can afford it) a 40yr. We'll see though, as I have had a very small sampling of a 30yr scotch and it was a bit over matured IMO. Maybe my palate will change in the next 4-5 yrs so who knows. Meanwhile I'll just keep enjoying the things I've been able to get, and have it with the people who've been around me all this time as well.

Cheers!!

• I like it 1

If the OP has some flexibility, tracking down bottles that he knows were produced in 2011 would be a bit easier.  EW SiB 2011 are on many shelves right now.  Blanton’s with 2011 dump dates could be found in bunkers.  

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thoughts? 

Belle Meade released a nine year old MGP bourbon that was sherry finished a couple of years ago if that sort of thing interests you. A little pricey but might still be around.

• I like it 1

A lot of the KC SiB PS bottles around here recently have been 9 years old.  I recently did a barrel pick and we chose a 9 year one.  My vote would be one of those.

• I like it 1

I don’t think you can go wrong with a Knob Creek Single Barrell 120 proof for this year and next year go with either Russell Reserve 10yr or Henry McKenna 10 yr Bottled in Bond. You will have to hunt for your 11 yr Old Fitzgerald and definitely start look now for your Weller 12. 

• I like it 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:23 AM, parksmart said:

If the OP has some flexibility, tracking down bottles that he knows were produced in 2011 would be a bit easier.  EW SiB 2011 are on many shelves right now.  Blanton’s with 2011 dump dates could be found in bunkers.  

I've considered this, but the idea of trying to find a specific date sounds difficult.  On that note anyone with and 11-7-11 Blanton's or HMK or EVSiB please shoot me a PM!

On 3/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Belle Meade released a nine year old MGP bourbon that was sherry finished a couple of years ago if that sort of thing interests you. A little pricey but might still be around.

I will look into this, thanks.  I really would prefer a bottle that is a bit more obscure than a particular store pick if possible.  The wife sees me buying/drinking cases of KC and RRSiB and Four Roses all the time so even though a particular bottle may be distinct to me from her point of view its the same thing as what she sees all the time.  I know, silly, but such is life with women. :)

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I really would prefer a bottle that is a bit more obscure than a particular store pick if possible.  The wife sees me buying/drinking cases of KC and RRSiB and Four Roses all the time so even though a particular bottle may be distinct to me from her point of view its the same thing as what she sees all the time.  I know, silly, but such is life with women. :)

If that's the case my vote would be the Old Fitz BiB 9 year.  Love mine.  However it's long gone from store shelves so unfortunately you'd have to go secondary or trade.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.