everclear

mross
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you put Everclear 190 prrof into a charred barrel to age will anything happen flavor wise? I am curious because I came into possession of 1.75 liters of Everclear this weekend. Have you tried to find hand sanatizer? Well Everclear is 190 proof , so that plus some aloe and wa-la homemade hand sanitizer that you can do jello shots with. Anyway I was wondering what to do with the rest and barrel aging came to mind.

I think you'd be better off using it in a tiki torch than putting it in a barrel. 

Last time I drank everclear I was 20 years old, and it destroyed my gut. Cut your losses and toss it. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mross said:

If you put Everclear 190 prrof into a charred barrel to age will anything happen flavor wise? I am curious because I came into possession of 1.75 liters of Everclear this weekend. Have you tried to find hand sanatizer? Well Everclear is 190 proof , so that plus some aloe and wa-la homemade hand sanitizer that you can do jello shots with. Anyway I was wondering what to do with the rest and barrel aging came to mind.

Something will happen flavor wise but the question is what.

Certain flavors are more soluble in alcohol while others are more so in water. We'd need someone like Nancy to tell us which ones though I know that generally speaking, the sugars are more soluble in water. So, your everclear may be a tannic mess.

If you really wanted to do this I would suggest you cut it to about 125-140 first and check its progress frequently. But I don't think for me that it would be worth the effort to have small barrel likely heavily tannic flavored aged vodka.

But hey, that's just me! :blink:

It's also not the best possible disinfectant or sanitizer. 60-70% is ideal, more is NOT better, actually worse. We've just established that Eversource sucks on every level.

Edited by Kane

I would pass on the small barrel idea.

You could steep fruits, herbs, or spices.  Then add water to proof it down to 100 or so.

Find a lemon cello recipe, or make gin, or bitters.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Eversource sucks on every level.

This is how you know I've been fighting my gas supplier to drag their asses down here and fix my heating for two days now.

But Everclear also sucks.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok, here is the plan. I decided to try this and see what pans out. My wife got me this barrel for Christmas, it has a #3 char in it so the mad scientist in me is going for it. I am going to need about 3 gallons of Everclear and 1.75 gallons of water to drop it to the entry proof of 120. I decided to go a little light so as not to over due the tannins. What I should get is a pure barrel flavored spirit as the mash bill is non-existent since Everclear is a neutral spirit. I was going to use well water but in keeping with the experiment I will use distilled. That way the only flavor should come from the barrel. We shall see.

barrel.jpg

WHAT?!!!!  You still alive????!!!  I thought you crumped MONTHS ago after sipping on thishere atrocity.  My bad.

Uh, how's it taste?  I have this barrel here that . . .;)

16 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WHAT?!!!!  You still alive????!!!  I thought you crumped MONTHS ago after sipping on thishere atrocity.  My bad.

Uh, how's it taste?  I have this barrel here that . . .;)

Nah, still mostly here although some may argue that point. Some of my Everclear I made a 101 proof tincture of Elderberry. I'm ready for Covid or a nice cold winter night. 

Hope it works out well for you Ross. I have very fond memories of Everclear from way back in the day, when I was in the Army. 🤯😳🤮😵

FWIW, we made “punch” using Everclear for my units summer parties. Here’s our very basic recipe. DISCLAIMER: This recipe may or may not have been quite, exactly, or entirely followed during my six year tenure in the Army. 🤪 

One large plastic trash can, completely and thoroughly cleaned. A dozen bottles of Everclear. (Back then it was quarts.) A 50/50 mix of around twenty cans of Minutemade frozen lemonade and orange juice. A half dozen or so small bags of ice. Mix it all together in the large trash can while adding water till it’s a couple of inches from the top of the trash can, all the while stirring thoroughly. If my memory serves me correct, we used a small canoe paddle. 🤨 I will also neither confirm nor deny if anything else may have possibly found it’s way into our concoction. :rolleyes:

Have fun, enjoy, and please keep us posted at to how this is going.👍

Biba! Joe

17 minutes ago, mross said:

Nah, still mostly here although some may argue that point. Some of my Everclear I made a 101 proof tincture of Elderberry. I'm ready for Covid or a nice cold winter night. 

That Everclear/elderberry liqueur sounds just fine.  My wife makes limoncello every few years, but the elderberry is more to my liking.  We have about 400 ml of Everclear left over from her last batch. I may claim it for experimental purposes.  Thanks for the nudge.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hope it works out well for you Ross. I have very fond memories of Everclear from way back in the day, when I was in the Army. 🤯😳🤮😵

FWIW, we made “punch” using Everclear for my units summer parties. Here’s our very basic recipe. DISCLAIMER: This recipe may or may not have been quite, exactly, or entirely followed during my six year tenure in the Army. 🤪 

One large plastic trash can, completely and thoroughly cleaned. A dozen bottles of Everclear. (Back then it was quarts.) A 50/50 mix of around twenty cans of Minutemade frozen lemonade and orange juice. A half dozen or so small bags of ice. Mix it all together in the large trash can while adding water till it’s a couple of inches from the top of the trash can, all the while stirring thoroughly. If my memory serves me correct, we used a small canoe paddle. 🤨 I will also neither confirm nor deny if anything else may have possibly found it’s way into our concoction. :rolleyes:

Have fun, enjoy, and please keep us posted at to how this is going.👍

Biba! Joe

Alligatorpiss and pantherpiss were ours.  The former was made with Everclear (or equivalent) and orange soda/juice and the latter with any grape soda/juice although Orange Crush in the former and Nehi Grape in the latter were preferred.  Welches grape juice - either white or red - were the acceptable alterrnatives.

• I like it 1

LOL Harry. I’ve heard of the term pantherpiss, but not alligatorpiss. What’s so odd about this, is that on my brothers first tour of Nam, he flew as a member of the 119th Assault Helicopter Company. AKA, The Gators. My stepbrother survived two tours of Nam as a helicopter pilot no less. 😲 He once told me of a favorite concoction of chopper pilots from back then. I’ll be darned if I can remember what was in it, but I do remember what their name for it was. They called it “Kickapoo Juice”.  I’d be curious to know if that rings any bells with you, or any of our other “seasoned vets” here.

Biba! Joe

I have fortified mead that I  made with Everclear.  Chilled it and served as shots. Trick is not to add too much everclear so that you still get the taste of the mead. 

And thanks to any of you that do or have served our country! 

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • I like it 1

54 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

LOL Harry. I’ve heard of the term pantherpiss, but not alligatorpiss. What’s so odd about this, is that on my brothers first tour of Nam, he flew as a member of the 119th Assault Helicopter Company. AKA, The Gators. My stepbrother survived two tours of Nam as a helicopter pilot no less. 😲 He once told me of a favorite concoction of chopper pilots from back then. I’ll be darned if I can remember what was in it, but I do remember what their name for it was. They called it “Kickapoo Juice”.  I’d be curious to know if that rings any bells with you, or any of our other “seasoned vets” here.

Biba! Joe

Alligatorpiss pronounced alligaTORpiss and pantherpiss pronounced panTHERpiss were faves.  Some Huey pilots I knew and loved (Tom Beukelman, I'm thinking of YOU) made this stuff called Kickapoo Joy Juice which was named after a fruit juice plus torpedo alcohol propellant mix made famous during WW II and referenced by Al Capp in his Lil Abner comic strip.  IIRC, it was some proportion of ethanol (like Everclear) and Mountain Dew.  The Mountain Dew always made me burp for days so I was not a fan of KJJ.

• I like it 1

All good guys. Back in the day, way back. My frat had Grape and Grain parties. Just what it sounds like Grape juice powder, water and Everclear. It got kinda iffy as the brothers who were making it tended to indulge, for quality assurance purpose I'm sure. But as the batch progressed, it tended to be a crap shoot as to what the ratios where. No lie I watched a kid at aparty chug a glass of it, as he tilted his head back to keep going he kept going right to the floor. Those where the days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.