What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Blinded the Weller family. We did Blue, White, Black, Red, and Green. I was very confident going in. Shattered after the reveal. Went a pitiful one for 5.

First impression was decent but after the adjustments I sux'd. The one I settled on correctly was Blk. Surprise was white, because after it's been panned on the board I liked it as #2 best (thinking it was a SP red)...wrong again. :) 

You need to edit to list them in order of how you liked them. I'm especially interested in where FP and WSR landed. 

Still not all that great for me.

Damn those dirty raspberries... get outta my glass!

545E2C0A-4F40-42A6-94D3-60C0771D1234.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 4/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Mako254 said:

Thanks @CUfan99 for this one !

12F92B48-BC05-4F9D-A4EE-561C08F0A385.jpeg

What do you think? Is it even in the neighborhood of the tear label H cause I haven’t opened either one yet? 

yesterday I capped off the work day with a pour of EW BIB, then after I got home from fishing I had a pour of OF 100pf.

1 hour ago, Double C's said:

yesterday I capped off the work day with a pour of EW BIB, then after I got home from fishing I had a pour of OF 100pf.

How'd fishing go?  My son and I went last Sunday.  When we got to the lake most of the ramps were closed but we found one open.  They were closed because the lake was 17' over summer pool.  We didn't get a single bite.

I picked up a bottle of EWSB 2012 a couple days ago.  First one in a few years, at least.  It had been such a treat for me for years, as a “must have” premium bottle when I went from a simple bourbon drinker to an enthusiast.  The 1994 still gives me goose bumps when I think how awesome that year was.  Became an infrequent buyer when the age dropped, but I never had any ill will towards the brand.  Drinking this bottle is like going home to momma.  Not that it’s on par with those early years I remember, but it’s a damn solid and well made whiskey.  Extremely well balanced, Everything from nose to finish is controlled within its intended lane, but the lane has some speed.  This control separates it from its younger batched namesake, and its higher proof (and longer aged options in the HH family) brethren.  And, priced right ($22) for an 86.6 proof 8 yr bourbon.  Happy to say, I’ve come back to momma and I’ll be visiting again on a more regular basis.  ?

17B7C1D1-5643-4955-84BA-97590F83F852.jpeg

• I like it 6

20 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

You need to edit to list them in order of how you liked them. I'm especially interested in where FP and WSR landed. 

I was really concentrating on which was which, and not so much which one I liked the most. I will say the Red was a store pick and drank well below it's 107. I think if I was picking for best taste that would have been the one. In fact I said several times that I really like it. The disclosed order was Red, Blue, White, Black, Green. Originally I had Blue, Blk, and Green picked correctly BUT after repeatedly going back and forth I changed to the wrong pick. Trust your first impression and don't overthink it would be good advice for tastings. IMHO Would rank Blue next with White slightly below that.

My tasting buddy had done this same tasting a couple of months back, and was 3 for 5. I assured him I could pick em all easily. YEAH! Even though I did pick the Black I kept searching for the one with more oak and I can't say I ever got that. I picked it based on smoothness and well rounded flavors. The White (my first time tasting that) was big and for my palette very close to the Blue, but as you know very different in proof. Going in I thought the proof would give away the 114 and 107 so I'd pick those and back into the others. On this night, with that plan, it just didn't work for me. 

I could go on but it doesn't matter I sux'd. By gosh I'm ready to go again and see if I can do better! We topped off the tasting with a 16 Jack SiB Proof at 135+ and the 15 WLW and damn if the Jack not only held up but was excellent against the Weller (but of course wasn't better). :) 

Thanks Joe! I've been wondering what bottle to open next and now I think it'll be either my 1997 or 1998 EWSB, both of which are from the good old days of 10yr whiskey.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

How'd fishing go?  My son and I went last Sunday.  When we got to the lake most of the ramps were closed but we found one open.  They were closed because the lake was 17' over summer pool.  We didn't get a single bite.

Fishing went okay. Caught 3 bass in just under 2hrs. I caught 5 on sunday in the same amount of time. I was just bank fishing in a subdivision pond.

Bookers - Big Man Small Batch.  I’m glad I have a few in the bunker. 

C01B00D6-6856-437F-B4E9-ED6E674BABFD.jpeg

OBSO is probably my favorite recipe (although have had some OBSK that gives it a run), and this particular bottle is a damn fine representation.  Sipping this, and hoping Jim gets to break ground soon and get some spirits in the barrel.  And if he never distills another drop - will still be one of my heroes in that profession.  

IMG_20200402_195728.thumb.jpg.ecd3114dcca992f4445d6424a0c79e52.jpg

• I like it 6

22 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

My dog, me, HM 10y, and a fire.....

4B79FD18-7AB9-42BC-93EF-8A570CDECDC1.thumb.jpeg.c997106dd1c760ad84c060842d9f5a84.jpeg

Tonight, Heaven has shone in Louisiana.  ??

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Last night. 

326EFEBF-20A1-414A-9A35-B5183C536BBB.jpeg

You are an enabler.  I had a nice pour of FRSBS and was thinking I was done for the night.  Then I started thinking about an unopened bottle of ER.  Seeing your post must be a sign.  

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

C01B00D6-6856-437F-B4E9-ED6E674BABFD.jpeg

That's a pretty solid pour!  Those aren't Elton John's glasses in the background are they?  Sorry, I just watched Rocket Man.

• I like it 2

I'm having a little pour of Rebel Yell 100.  It's like a trip down memory lane, back to the days when Old Fitz BIB sat on shelves.  That is the HH version of Old Fitz.

Started out the evening with 4R OESV.  Moved onto WTRB 116.8. 

I have to say WTRB wins. Hmmh. 

Not a surprise really. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm having a little pour of Rebel Yell 100.  It's like a trip down memory lane, back to the days when Old Fitz BIB sat on shelves.  That is the HH version of Old Fitz.

I've got a bottle of the RY 100 and part of an Old Fitz BIB.  Sounds like I'm going to have to do a SBS to compare.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, markandrex said:

That's a great batch!  My second favorite of all time right after C07-B-7.  Glad I have one more of each somewhere in the basement...

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I picked up a bottle of EWSB 2012 a couple days ago.  First one in a few years, at least.  It had been such a treat for me for years, as a “must have” premium bottle when I went from a simple bourbon drinker to an enthusiast.  The 1994 still gives me goose bumps when I think how awesome that year was.  Became an infrequent buyer when the age dropped, but I never had any ill will towards the brand.  Drinking this bottle is like going home to momma.  Not that it’s on par with those early years I remember, but it’s a damn solid and well made whiskey.  Extremely well balanced, Everything from nose to finish is controlled within its intended lane, but the lane has some speed.  This control separates it from its younger batched namesake, and its higher proof (and longer aged options in the HH family) brethren.  And, priced right ($22) for an 86.6 proof 8 yr bourbon.  Happy to say, I’ve come back to momma and I’ll be visiting again on a more regular basis.  ?

17B7C1D1-5643-4955-84BA-97590F83F852.jpeg

Ahhh!    Happy to hear that at least an occasional bottle of EWSB can still be a nice pour.   It's been about 4-years, or close to that since I bought one.   Having been "burned" by 4 or 5 subpar bottles over two years, I had totally bailed on the brand.   Up here in The Mitten State, it con't be had for anything like $22, though.   Add $10 or more.   That's another reason I felt 'betrayed' when it went downhill.    I still have a few left from 'better-than-average' barrels . . . back when even average barrels were quite decent.   So, not sure I'll jump in yet; but I may....

17 hours ago, GaryT said:

OBSO is probably my favorite recipe (although have had some OBSK that gives it a run), and this particular bottle is a damn fine representation.  Sipping this, and hoping Jim gets to break ground soon and get some spirits in the barrel.  And if he never distills another drop - will still be one of my heroes in that profession.  

IMG_20200402_195728.thumb.jpg.ecd3114dcca992f4445d6424a0c79e52.jpg

Indeed!!! My first 4RBS was a giftshop OBSO from back when only the giftshop had the barrel strength versions, there may have been a couple stores that got them too but not many, not like now. The OBSO blew me away and I was already a 4R fanboy, the JR OBSO just sent it into the stratosphere. Cheers Gary!! On topic it was OGD114 for me, another one that knocked me out the first time I tried it but not to the level of that 4R, that's some rarefied air there!!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.