What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I've wondered about blending up a batch.  Only problem - we don't get Weller anymore.  Maybe I could substitute MM.  Then we'd have to come up with a new name.

How about Grandpa Mark's Four Grain?

• I like it 1

Just now, fosmith said:

How about Grandpa Mark's Four Grain?

Apologies for the double post.  Sometimes the forum doesn't seem to respond when I hit "reply".  Usually it takes me to my post so, thinking that in my impaired state I didn't click in the box, I did it again.  At least I didn't triple post... ?

Sweet Wheat with ice to fight a rare Bay Area heat wave.  Not a great or complex bourbon but good for this...

sweet wheat w ice.jpg

Blind taste testing 2 store picks and a regular bottle. Does that silly little sticker make the difference on these? 

62285F80-D4AF-4F3E-982C-E6BE5A0E6B0F.jpeg

615B9340-DEB6-4968-8066-F1530697C053.jpeg

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Blind taste testing 2 store picks and a regular bottle. Does that silly little sticker make the difference on these? 

It makes A difference. I have to say I've never had a BT PS that wasn't at least as good as the standard offering. I've had a couple (only) that were MUCH better.

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

This bottle is not gonna last long. 

20200527_205514.jpg

Cool Parker's candle!  Someone in your home make them?  

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Cool Parker's candle!  Someone in your home make them?  

No..there is a local guy that makes them.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, 0895 said:

Felt like a ? Tuesday 

4CD6F1E4-33AB-4B0D-A8F4-C5CC2ADF09AA.jpeg

Did not see this! What did you think?

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

It makes A difference. I have to say I've never had a BT PS that wasn't at least as good as the standard offering. I've had a couple (only) that were MUCH better.

I just had one that was absolutely fantastic! It was on profile, but creamier with heavy notes of vanilla and butterscotch.  Never would have guessed it was BT. More EH Taylor esq.

However, I generally agree with you that BT picks have a capped ceiling  as honey barrels of MB1 will almost always end up being earmarked for a more premium brand. 

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

A little WFP sbs this afternoon.

F1986609-4A9B-4F5D-9ACC-11F1556B8F9F.jpeg

Shafted an oz because I ran out of the bigger bottles. . . 

didn’t you just get that bottle? You’ve been busy!

37 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Shafted an oz because I ran out of the bigger bottles. . . 

didn’t you just get that bottle? You’ve been busy!

Yeah, I got it at the end of April.

Took it to a driveway social distancing party to share with some friends, one of whom helped me get it by putting rewards points on my account at a local store.

Ive tried 3 different store picks and the national release now of WFP and it’s just not worth the hype to me.  No disrespect intended, but I won’t be going crazy chasing these down.  I like Antique better.

That being said, it’s still very good.

The Kenwood has more traditional peppermint candy taste to it that I associate with WFP.

Mine has a syrupy sweet profile.

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Did not see this! What did you think?

It was classic, wonderful Turkey!

Well done!

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, I got it at the end of April.

Took it to a driveway social distancing party to share with some friends, one of whom helped me get it by putting rewards points on my account at a local store.

Ive tried 3 different store picks and the national release now of WFP and it’s just not worth the hype to me.  No disrespect intended, but I won’t be going crazy chasing these down.  I like Antique better.

That being said, it’s still very good.

The Kenwood has more traditional peppermint candy taste to it that I associate with WFP.

Well there goes your Weller card! I can give you a suggestion on what to do if/when you do find one. :)

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I just had one that was absolutely fantastic! It was on profile, but creamier with heavy notes of vanilla and butterscotch.  Never would have guessed it was BT. More EH Taylor esq.

However, I generally agree with you that BT picks have a capped ceiling  as honey barrels of MB1 will almost always end up being earmarked for a more premium brand. 

Over Christmas, a couple local grocery chains had at least 3 different PS barrels each in 375 bottles. Made it easier to a bunch of SBSBS. One particular barrel (to me) was a clear standout by a pretty wide margin.

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Well there goes your Weller card!

Yeah yeah...

long live Four Roses ?!

?

• I like it 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:50 PM, fosmith said:

Apologies for the double post.  Sometimes the forum doesn't seem to respond when I hit "reply".  Usually it takes me to my post so, thinking that in my impaired state I didn't click in the box, I did it again.  At least I didn't triple post... ?

Never fear the double or triple post. You friendly neighborhood moderator will come along and clean it up!

Some vanilla infused VOB. This is well done with a good amount of vanilla (obviously) that pairs with the slightly sweet banana notes. A bit one dimensional, but to be expected. I also think the heavy vanilla helps smooth out what I know can be a slightly harsh finish. 

Will be making the rest into a old fashioned shortly. That’s gonna be gooooood

979339ED-FDFF-40E4-A157-40AEA6919602.jpeg

• I like it 2

I tried the Weller 12 SBS with WLW yesterday and I could barely taste the Weller 12. 

I revisited the Weller 12 on it's own today and it was full of flavor. Lesson learned, don't SBS 90 proofers with barrel proofers.

20200528_210416.jpg

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, GTStagg said:

I tried the Weller 12 SBS with WLW yesterday and I could barely taste the Weller 12. 

I revisited the Weller 12 on it's own today and it was full of flavor. Lesson learned, don't SBS 90 proofers with barrel proofers.

20200528_210416.jpg

Hey, at least you had the bottles to do the SBS.  I betch'a the are at least a few folks out there who would give their left pinkie finger to have either one of those on their bar.   JMHO.   ?

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, at least you had the bottles to do the SBS.  I betch'a the are at least a few folks out there who would give their left pinkie finger to have either one of those on their bar.   JMHO.   ?

Getting both at msrp makes it taste even sweeter. They were completely unobtainable before I joined the rewards club at the Florida chain that has an exclusive deal with BT on Weller products.

Healthy pour to finish this guy off last night. Didn’t last long during the current situation.

6754184B-F2AB-4737-89BC-C2016D3040F0.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 5/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, 0895 said:

I read this and thought no chance, he crazy.  Had another pour myself and maybe it’s the power of suggestion, but I get it. Hints on both the nose and palate.  Specifically those red/white individually wrapped peppermints that are often by the register at fancy restaurants. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.