What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished a basic BT and then, after finishing the dishes, opened an OF 1897 I found, thanks to a guy named "Joe", in the trunk of my car.  I think it's been in there since last November.  Had to leave the Virgin 101 in the trunk - not enough hands to carry all the bottles I had in there down to the bunker.  Without being noticed.:ph34r:

This "shelter in place" stuff is KILLING MY LIVER!!! not that I worry a lot about that at my age as I tend to fall asleep before consuming a fatal glass of booze.  OTOH, I am running out of projects around the house that DON'T require major hardware store visits.

• I like it 4

On 5/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, Paddy said:

Beside’s, I can be a bit of a sentimental purist; but in reality, I just like to disagree with you bastards.  ?

I had to re-read this sentence several times before I realized you were using the word "purist."  I knew it started with "pu" but couldn't make out the rest.  ?

A friend of mine inspired me to have a pour of this tonight. Second round from this bottle after being opened at the beginning of quarantine. The palate seems a lot rounder tonight. While still a ton of oak it doesn't have that sharp "sucked on a toothpick too long" thing tonight. The finish is awesome...slowly fading oak and spice.

20200510_210228.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Finished a basic BT and then, after finishing the dishes, opened an OF 1897 I found, thanks to a guy named "Joe", in the trunk of my car.  I think it's been in there since last November.  Had to leave the Virgin 101 in the trunk - not enough hands to carry all the bottles I had in there down to the bunker.  Without being noticed.:ph34r:

This "shelter in place" stuff is KILLING MY LIVER!!! not that I worry a lot about that at my age as I tend to fall asleep before consuming a fatal glass of booze.  OTOH, I am running out of projects around the house that DON'T require major hardware store visits.

WORD my brother.

• I like it 1

Pours from the weekend. EWBiB has been my workhorse lately and been going down fast.

E8E53EAA-CF68-4604-AEBB-CFE289E50E13.jpeg

EE0F9809-A33F-47C8-9C00-94885AEF8714.jpeg

• I like it 1

Celebrated our 1 year anniversary last night with some WLW. See you again in 364 days and counting...

B5603AE7-8A00-4322-B47B-5748C56EB8DC.jpeg

• I like it 9

I had the latest round of physical therapy for my shoulder this afternoon. It’s been a little over two months since my surgery, and I just started working with actual weights today. :) I never thought that only two pounds could cause pain. :( The Weller SR in my glass is tasting mighty fine. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 8

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had the latest round of physical therapy for my shoulder this afternoon. It’s been a little over two months since my surgery, and I just started working with actual weights today. :) I never thought that only two pounds could cause pain. :( The Weller SR in my glass is tasting mighty fine. :D

Biba! Joe

Are you actually allowed to visit a PT... or is one actually allowed to visit you?   ...Or, are you getting advice by 'remote control' over the I-net?   

The reason I ask is that I was all set to begin PT for a bad knee, just when the shutdown began, so have yet to see the PT after the initial evaluation.   He did send an e-mail with several exercises described, that I am not really able to understand.   So, here I sit (or stand... or rarely... walk) while I await the face-to-face explanations I seem to require.   If you're able to see your PT; I am officially jealous, Joey!

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

But the question is . . . can you lift the glass to your waiting lips?

• I like it 1

Well it wasn't today, actually last Saturday, but the local bourbon club was doing a barrel pick with John O's of Yellowstone.  We met at the store, since the distillery is closed, and maintaining 6' of spacing between us, tried 3 different barrels.  All barrels were dated 2/23/15 (my dad's birthday by the way) and weighed in at between 119.6 to 121.5 proof.  The final product will be bottled at 93 proof.  My pick ended up being the winner.  Since Yellowstone reminded me of the Flintstones I suggested and they are going to name the barrel . . . wait for it . . . "Yabba Dabba Boozy".  We were all surprised that a just over 5 year old bourbon would taste as good as it did.  I wish they were going to bottle it at BP but I still think the final product will taste pretty darn good.

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

But the question is . . . can you lift the glass to your waiting lips?

My other arm works just fine Kevin.^_^

19 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Well it wasn't today, actually last Saturday, but the local bourbon club was doing a barrel pick with John O's of Yellowstone.  We met at the store, since the distillery is closed, and maintaining 6' of spacing between us, tried 3 different barrels.  All barrels were dated 2/23/15 (my dad's birthday by the way) and weighed in at between 119.6 to 121.5 proof.  The final product will be bottled at 93 proof.  My pick ended up being the winner.  Since Yellowstone reminded me of the Flintstones I suggested and they are going to name the barrel . . . wait for it . . . "Yabba Dabba Boozy".  We were all surprised that a just over 5 year old bourbon would taste as good as it did.  I wish they were going to bottle it at BP but I still think the final product will taste pretty darn good.

I stopped in at John O’s last spring. I bought uhhhh, one or two(?) bottles when I was there. ;)

Biba! Joe

Running a little late with this report. I participated in a barrel pick of Old Fo Barrel Proof on Saturday with my local. The store owner divided the three sample bottles into smaller sample bottles and everyone came by the store to pick up theirs and then we did the pick over Zoom. Not as fun as in person but still pretty damn fun! It's amazing how your standards change after almost two months of quarantine.

At any rate, we threw out one barrel right away and then considered the other two for a while. I decided on barrel three pretty much right away and that's the one we picked. The other barrel in consideration was also good and I'd buy multiples of it if the store took two barrels. The winning barrel just really stood tall and is an outstanding whiskey. We weren't given age info but the proof is 128+.

I think people are really going to like Old Fo BP in general. 

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Are you actually allowed to visit a PT... or is one actually allowed to visit you?   ...Or, are you getting advice by 'remote control' over the I-net?   

The reason I ask is that I was all set to begin PT for a bad knee, just when the shutdown began, so have yet to see the PT after the initial evaluation.   He did send an e-mail with several exercises described, that I am not really able to understand.   So, here I sit (or stand... or rarely... walk) while I await the face-to-face explanations I seem to require.   If you're able to see your PT; I am officially jealous, Joey!

Medical facilities were allowed to stay open here in Illinois. I visit the facility for my physical therapy. They’ve taken steps to try and insure the safety and well being of patients there for doctor visits and pt appointments. Masks are required, you can show up no more than 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, questions are asked, temperature is taken, and safe distancing Is enforced. Also, no one other than the patient is allowed in unless said patient requires assistance. All the preliminary stuff is taken care of in the entryway before you can even get into the building. As a matter of fact I had a doctors appointment this afternoon. My benefits coordinator was there, but had to stay in her car. She needed direct info. I called her when my doc came in the examination room. I put my phone on speaker and that was that. Oh, one more thing. A lady showed up at the same time that  I did. She also had an appointment with my doctor. She said she wasn’t sure, but she thought her appointment was at 1:00, which was the exact same time as my appointment. When  she went to check in at the admin desk, she was politely informed that her appointment wasn’t until 1:30. She made a half assed apology, and said she’d wait in her car. Judging by the look on her face, she seemed a little upset that she got caught trying to sneak in early. At least that’s my take on it. <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Back on tropic, I’m having another pour of Larceny this afternoon. So far so good with this bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

Running a little late with this report. I participated in a barrel pick of Old Fo Barrel Proof on Saturday with my local. The store owner divided the three sample bottles into smaller sample bottles and everyone came by the store to pick up theirs and then we did the pick over Zoom. Not as fun as in person but still pretty damn fun! It's amazing how your standards change after almost two months of quarantine.

At any rate, we threw out one barrel right away and then considered the other two for a while. I decided on barrel three pretty much right away and that's the one we picked. The other barrel in consideration was also good and I'd buy multiples of it if the store took two barrels. The winning barrel just really stood tall and is an outstanding whiskey. We weren't given age info but the proof is 128+.

That's good to hear. Did you save a little to try it beside 1920? 

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

That's good to hear. Did you save a little to try it beside 1920? 

By the time we split up the sample bottles for all the tasters there was about 3/4 oz. per person. My wife was tasting with me and because of that I didn’t have any left.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

*. *. *. *. *

Thanks for this.  I love tHe prohibition OFs, soI will be happy to try these.

Just now, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for this.  I love tHe prohibition OFs, soI will be happy to try these.

Though I wasn't able to try it sbs with 1920 as suggested by Whammie, I did open a 1920 just a day after the pick and given that I'm blessed with good palate memory I can say that good barrels of OFBP will be better than 1920. Not all barrels will be.

• I like it 3

Starting the night with some RC6. I like this one. A bit like 46 or a good PS blend of staves. Sweet on the front. Lingering spice at the end. OE7/117 on deck next.

20200512_211307.jpg

• I like it 1

I tried some barrel samples for a RRSB pick. I only tried two but they were both very good, similar ages, and similar proofs. But even though I am fully aware of how much barrel to barrel variation there, it always amuses me how different these can turn out. Out was really bold and spicy, and the other was a lot smoother and buttery. The bold/spicy one was the higher proof of the two, but the difference was only 3 points. RRSB picks have been really good for the last couple years. Now let’s just hope the bottle yield is decent, because the last one that I really loved was a disappointingly low yield. 

• I like it 1

Yesterday I enjoyed a pour of HM10yr that seemed to favor my palate at the time. Currently I am doing a little side by side between baker's and booker's 2019-02. I even experimented with eating some chocolate chips and then trying each one. The booker's wins this battle, especially with the chocolate. I was getting a brownie note when drinking the booker's after eating the chocolate chips and it was wonderful.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, PaulO said:

I was a big fan of OF Sig, starting with the diamond label that replaced the OF bottled in bond.  It was in my lineup for years.  Around seven or so years ago, I got two bad bottles in a row.  I moved on to other things.  When they came out with the throwback white paper label, I tried one.  It was a small improvement over the bad bottles, but not good enough to make me buy more.

Then the 100 proof rye came out, and got some good reviews.  I tried it, and really like it.

Meanwhile, Steve, Paddy, and probably some others start posting - now OF 100 is so good.  I had to see for myself.  I picked one up today.  This is very similar to how I remember it back around 2013 or a little earlier.  ?

I may have to give this another chance. I had some many years  ago, liked it, bought a bottle 4 or so yrs ago and it was, to be VERY charitable, forgettable. I too enjoy the rye which has at the midway fill point lost its green bell pepper note, I will have to find a new defining characteristic for that one but it’s definitely a winner.

On topic, a delightful pour of the original GBS RRSmbSB barrel pick, an all around outstanding pour.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.