What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:12 AM, flahute said:

ECBP A120 is ?

It is.  136.6 proof is more than I want to tackle.  I found a sweet spot around 108 proof.  Quite delicious!  I plan to pick up another bottle.  Sometimes I struggle to find the sweet spot with ECBP, although I enjoy trying.  However, the last three - B519, C918 and A120 - I found it pretty quickly.  I am also happy that each release seems to be easier to find.  There was a period I had to search some to find a bottle.  The last three releases have been easier to find.

15 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

In celebration of my birthday (a bit early; but who's watching, right?) I poured out the sample bottle of a special Jockey Club Pick of EWSB that I'd been saving for about 8-or 9-years.    I enjoyed it far more sniffing & drinking it than I ever had by just looking at it.   A lesson in there somewhere, I think.

Wait, are we talking hours, days, weeks, or months early?  Either way, cheers to you my friend, I will celebrate your birthday any day you wish.  Just tell me when and I will have a pour in your honor!

• I like it 1

I made a tongue in cheek post in the Bourbon Zen thread the other day. Maybe I’ve achieved Bourbon Zen, maybe I haven’t, and Binny’s is opening a store here in town. Well..........

I have a number of bottles on my open shelf right now. Some of ‘em are pretty darned good. All kidding and innuendo aside, I’m really enjoying the hell out of a couple of pours of Four Roses this evening. ‘Nuff Ced. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Follow up pour of 2018 WLW in memory of Tom H. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I'm enjoying ET BIB, well earned pour after a pre rain grass mowing marathon.

• I like it 1

Old Forester 1897 BiB is a nice, well rounded whiskey that flies under the radar. Yes suffers in the shadow of the superior 1920 at nearly the same price. But the 1897 is an excellent daily drinker and would make a great choice for a higher end old fashioned or other cocktail.  To me it's noticeable better than the base OF Sig/100 proofer, which I don't care for (at least the ones I've tried).

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Follow up pour of 2018 WLW in memory of Tom H. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Am I missing something?

Long time member Tom Helt passed away two years ago today. Just paying homage.

22 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Long time member Tom Helt passed away two years ago today. Just paying homage.

I see, thanks for the fill in.  Obviously I didn't have the privilege of knowing him, but I certainly appreciate the connection.  I see the tribute now over in the other thread.  My condolences. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Started off the evening with Willett Pot Still SiB (enjoyed 2 pours,) went to 4R 2017, now last pour is WT101. This was almost a trip around Kentucky.  I enjoyed them all. 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

They used to have stellar FR picks!

If you are in The Cult, TPS was definitely a go to store!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Is this an OBSV 100 proof, or a cask strength?

This one was the hundred proof version. 

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

In celebration of my birthday (a bit early; but who's watching, right?) I poured out the sample bottle of a special Jockey Club Pick of EWSB that I'd been saving for about 8-or 9-years.    I enjoyed it far more sniffing & drinking it than I ever had by just looking at it.   A lesson in there somewhere, I think.

Happy birthday Rich!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wait, are we talking hours, days, weeks, or months early?  Either way, cheers to you my friend, I will celebrate your birthday any day you wish.  Just tell me when and I will have a pour in your honor!

...A few days.    My son-in-law and I each have birthdays in Mid-May, less than a week apart.   We traditionally celebrate 'em together at one gathering, somewhere near one, the other, or halfway between.    My actual b'day is on Tuesday, his was late last week.   So Saturday worked perfectly, though it wasn't actually either of our birthdays.   The weather was fine (for a change) for outdoor games, and we enjoyed take-out in support of a favorite local restaurant.   

...AND, of course a few pours!  ?

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

This one was the hundred proof version.

Wow, that's awesome, doubt they will ever be that old again.

1 hour ago, Soberiquet said:

Wow, that's awesome, doubt they will ever be that old again.

True. 9 yr old standard single barrels and 11-12 yr old barrel strength single barrels used to be the norm.

• I like it 2

A wee Blenders' Select in my groovy new Bulleit glass…

IMG_4534.thumb.jpg.cee6c8945f0d4a67a0a9e726a5640f49.jpg

IMG_4533.thumb.jpg.7aff23a3e47383554a80dcab814b3ecf.jpg

• I like it 4

From the weekend. MMCS, Batch 13 and not pictured some EW BIB and a BTPS.

DE8475D1-D684-4AAB-8C5B-80C3770B1085.jpeg

D2B5F62F-C75A-40D8-8EB0-4AB305284208.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had calls today fro 9 am to 3 pm then drove 1.5 h North to our RV to start the opening process. Broke winterization. We are still practicing social distancing  and our govenor now  allows us to go to a seasonal R as it is considered a second home. I always leave a few bottles in the RV over the winter so I pulled out a Longbranch from the RV stash for tonight. Typical WT juice with  a little smoke on the finish. 

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 1

I picked up an EWSB 2012 in early April, and polished it off alarmingly quickly.  ?. Picked up another last week, and am enjoying this one even more.  Tonight, while sitting out in the front listening to the quiet except for the frogs and insects after a day of on and off thunderstorms, I’m getting a wonderful cocoa note from nose to finish.  ?

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Tonight, while sitting out in the front listening to the quiet except for the frogs and insects after a day of on and off thunderstorms, I’m getting a wonderful cocoa note from nose to finish.  ?

Ah yes, the sounds of the South and the Midwest. We don't get that here in the PNW. I forget about it and then get nostalgic when back home visiting family and I hear it again.

On topic, trying to figure out this recent purchase of HMcK10 which finally showed up after a couple years of being impossible to find thanks to a certain award.

• I like it 1

Finished setting up the RV site today. Glad to have it over for another year. Having a bit of 1792 from the RV stash. 

F04A9E1A-8E58-4FAE-98CD-F53A44498D08.jpeg

79ABA5E2-AC2E-4FA2-B54A-A3BDBC848658.jpeg

• I like it 6

Enjoying my first ever bottle of Eagle Rare.  Don't know why it took so long to grab a bottle, since I like most things Buffalo Trace.  I am not great with descriptors for aroma and flavor, but I do smell cherries from the bottle when it is opened.

As far as taste, to me, this is a really sweet bourbon.  Very enjoyable, not too complex.  I paid $40 locally for this, and would do so again, just not right away.  Going to enjoy this while watching Korean Baseball on that I DVR'ed this morning.

20200519_214148[1].jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

Enjoying my first ever bottle of Eagle Rare.  Don't know why it took so long to grab a bottle, since I like most things Buffalo Trace.  I am not great with descriptors for aroma and flavor, but I do smell cherries from the bottle when it is opened.

As far as taste, to me, this is a really sweet bourbon.  Very enjoyable, not too complex.  I paid $40 locally for this, and would do so again, just not right away.  Going to enjoy this while watching Korean Baseball on that I DVR'ed this morning.

20200519_214148[1].jpg

Your spot on with the Swetness and Cherries. I am a big fan of ER. I cant say it’s a top favorite of mine personally but as I introduce friends into sipping bourbon it’s always well received. I feel like $40 a bottle is slightly high though. 

• I like it 1

Started with a pour of ECBP A120 and followed up with a small pour of Little Book 3. I really like them both but in different ways. The ECBP is more brash and in-your-face flavor with a lot more sweetness. The LB actually has a bit of elegance to it and has a bit more nuttiness although I get nuts from HH and Beam. Beam is more peanuts and HH is more almonds. A lot more baking spices in LB and the spicy finish tingles for a lot longer but it doesn't have that deep sweetness and hug that ECBP has.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.