What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

Some B519 last night.

896987FB-C532-467A-84D0-B6C024A670A0.jpeg

I finished my B519 a few days ago. I liked it a lot. Now starting on my C918, it's got more bite, but very nice. Enjoy!

I was scheduled to fly to Las Vegas today to start setting up for the Nightclub & Bar Show— so paying homage to Delta with a 50ml Woodford Reserve in an official Delta Alessi glass...

FC185FCC-2F55-4573-BEBC-D7C2DC60D8C6.thumb.jpeg.af34854e72878978f8df14958b0205a9.jpeg

• I like it 3

Some MM46, a darn tasty pour on it's own. However,  this evening,  a few dashes of strawberry bitters were added.?

• I like it 1

We decided to do a Facetime virtual happy hour last night.  Had fun talking to some friends while enjoying some Fighting Cock and some OF 100 proof rye.

• I like it 1

Thanks for the get well wishes @El Vino, @WhiskeyBlender, @Kepler, @Harry in WashDC, and the rest I might have missed. Feeling much better now, but that sure was a rough week. Still can't smell a thing, though. My co-workers are now doing social hours over the Internet and taunting me with their bottles. It's annoying.

Meanwhile I've been experimenting with taking small sips from everything I have, for science. It's not recognizable as whiskey when you take the nose out of the equation, but focusing on taste alone was educational. I realize that some personal favorites are reduced to undrinkable swill. Balcones True Blue was the most striking one. The common denominator is that these are all flavor bombs without a lot of complexity or age, take that out and the base material isn't all that good after all? 10yr+ stuff (mostly rum and Scotch, I don't have much bourbon atm) doesn't have that problem, nice unoffensive mild flavors that flow easily.

It's even more fun with rum. It's either flavorless vodka (all the good stuff from Foursquare), or a spoonful of white sugar (Diplomatico, Zacapa, El Dorado). I think I've discovered a sure fire way to test rum authenticity.

• I like it 4

Makers Mark Cask Strength.  I sometimes wonder why I drink anything else.  This is SO good.

• I like it 1

Finishing the Jim Beam BIB tonight.  Another tuition whiskey that will not be replaced.  It's actually a good representation of the classic Beam profile, a damn sight better than white label.  

For Beam bottlings in this bottle shape, the Distiller's Cut blows all of the others away for my palate.  I don't think there's much else to try on this branch of the Beam tree.  The rest of the Beam bottles I own are of the "small batch" line varieties.  Mostly Bookers and KC.  

• I like it 2

Another MM46, this time with coffee-pecan bitters. Oh so good!

Got into this bottle of ECBP C919 a few weeks ago, pretty damn hotttt. I guess that’s to be expected. After it sits for awhile it’s not bad. I’ve had other ECBP of similar proof that was a lot easier to drink from the 1st pour. Overall it’s a really good EC

24741B14-3ADD-4F23-B3DD-39229272F351.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

44 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the get well wishes @El Vino, @WhiskeyBlender, @Kepler, @Harry in WashDC, and the rest I might have missed. Feeling much better now, but that sure was a rough week. Still can't smell a thing, though. My co-workers are now doing social hours over the Internet and taunting me with their bottles. It's annoying.

Meanwhile I've been experimenting with taking small sips from everything I have, for science. It's not recognizable as whiskey when you take the nose out of the equation, but focusing on taste alone was educational. I realize that some personal favorites are reduced to undrinkable swill. Balcones True Blue was the most striking one. The common denominator is that these are all flavor bombs without a lot of complexity or age, take that out and the base material isn't all that good after all? 10yr+ stuff (mostly rum and Scotch, I don't have much bourbon atm) doesn't have that problem, nice unoffensive mild flavors that flow easily.

It's even more fun with rum. It's either flavorless vodka (all the good stuff from Foursquare), or a spoonful of white sugar (Diplomatico, Zacapa, El Dorado). I think I've discovered a sure fire way to test rum authenticity.

Don't recall if someone mentioned it above but loss of smell is one of the coronavirus symptoms. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Hi,

Age stated Knob Creek!! Glad it’s back as there is definitely a taste difference!1BB0E0D8-EEED-4115-AF8C-6A96E058C7CA.jpeg.f05f0ad29dcd50cd37a038d9871b2e54.jpeg

Edited by Bzilla
Spelling
  • I like it 2

Prepping some food for a long work week! Just one pour to get me through cooking...ok maybe 2

Im so glad I went back and picked up this KC SiB. 15yr 5 months and a handful of days. 

my take: At 120pf, it come off hot but a deep leather and oak. Almost thick on the palate between those. It immediately mellows and opens up to a dark chocolate, salted pretzel mix with a hint of sweet Carmel to finish. 

831F7138-3594-44AA-B8DF-E91349DE0A49.jpeg

• I like it 2

Working on a bottle of Old Grand Dad BIB.  A solid pour that I don't have often. 

On a side note, while I have been able to able to workout to stay in shape and to work in the yard as we have had some warm weather here in Indiana, I do find myself enjoying the brown water significantly more than I typically would.  I am not overdoing it but I am just not used to having so much free time and boredom in the spring.  I have emptied a few (or more) opened bottles over the past month to further clear out the bunker.  I actually see some open space that may need to be filled before my wife decides to reappropriate it for something else.

This bottle of OGD BIB will be hitting the recycle bin soon.  Watching the movie Rocketman today makes me think of it as a part of the Circle of Life.

Since I had a couple freshly opened bottles of W12 and OWA I mixed up some SB Blend. Then an after dinner pour of Little Book 3 and some homemade ice cream. LB3 is one of the best bottles out in the last year imho. I had a chance at a 2nd bottle of it for just under $100 and passed up. I'm regretting that decision.

20200329_192834.jpg

20200329_203511.jpg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Loving the turkey tonight...

52A38F49-32E0-49BC-9A85-83934B5A1599.jpeg

Nice pic. I like the looks of that bottle!

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Bzilla said:

Age stated Knob Creek!! Glad it’s back as there is definitely a taste difference!

Glad to see it back but did the price go up?  Hopefully not...

14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Got into this bottle of ECBP C919 a few weeks ago, pretty damn hotttt. I guess that’s to be expected. After it sits for awhile it’s not bad. I’ve had other ECBP of similar proof that was a lot easier to drink from the 1st pour. Overall it’s a really good EC

24741B14-3ADD-4F23-B3DD-39229272F351.jpeg

Nice to see the proof going up. Is this the highest proof since the new bottle change?

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Since I had a couple freshly opened bottles of W12 and OWA I mixed up some SB Blend. Then an after dinner pour of Little Book 3 and some homemade ice cream. LB3 is one of the best bottles out in the last year imho. I had a chance at a 2nd bottle of it for just under $100 and passed up. I'm regretting that decision.

20200329_192834.jpg

20200329_203511.jpg

Living well is the best revenge-

attributed to George Herbert, a English poet

• I like it 1

The governor declared a stay at home order in MD.  Going with Dant BIB, in the hope that going with something "normal" will bring some normalcy to the world.  Wishful thinking but it's all I have right now.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Nice to see the proof going up. Is this the highest proof since the new bottle change?

Yes it is. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Yes it is. 

Is this one currently available?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.