What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn't buy it today but it arrived today via UPS from Seelbach's.  Been curious about this one for quite a while and Seelbach's had a "store" pick at cask strength so I pulled the trigger.  If anyone here has had this, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Revival.jpg

• I like it 1

The wife asked me to swing by the grocery store on the way home for a few things.  After that melee,  I needed to decompress .

The liquor store next door tends to hold back some things for their better customers.  I asked what he had.  He asked if I would want a EC 18 and a Weller Antique for $209 + tax?

Yes, yes I would.  Cheers!

• I like it 5

8CF64B50-6476-45ED-A21C-23FDCB5BEBB5.thumb.jpeg.c82bf8303fc5da586e3eb9f3f6397b70.jpeg82244F48-D431-4771-9C93-D990AB18BD5A.thumb.jpeg.69e71813ef2c532a372d41c8faefe77b.jpegthey really get me when they add $2.00 off. Never tried it but I’ll try almost anything under $30 

• I like it 5

It's been a "handle" week. EWBIB today, WT101 yesterday, EWB the day before.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, fosmith said:

Didn't buy it today but it arrived today via UPS from Seelbach's.  Been curious about this one for quite a while and Seelbach's had a "store" pick at cask strength so I pulled the trigger.  If anyone here has had this, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Revival.jpg

I too am very curious about this one. Let us know once you've had a taste or 3.

Kicked myself all week that I passed on this. Had 2 bottles left when I went back today. KC 15yr BP by the “New Mexico Amigos”. 

will get cracked open tonight.

8DA06B5C-B00E-4EDA-832D-AF75ADCFC351.jpeg

• I like it 4

Just picked up a backup ECBP C919 here in Indiana today.  Really enjoy this batch.  The A120's haven't hit here yet, but looking forward to trying that one soon!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Provisions just in case they force LS to close. 

20200321_155237.jpg

How is the wt101 rye? 

11 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

How is the wt101 rye? 

Dollar for dollar it's my favorite rye. I like OF, KC, Ritt BIB, and Saz also, but not as well as WT101 rye. 

Ran over to IL and grabbed one of these today.

Just needed to get out and do something...

it’s a plastic bottle, for anyone curious.

A910BF60-28B0-41F7-99ED-0BFEC0B26C34.jpeg

• I like it 3

Broke my personal code and bought a HHBiB7 yesterday. Curiosity got the best of me. So far not really noteworthy. Has anyone done a SBS with the 6yr? If I remember correctly the 6 was better.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Ran over to IL and grabbed one of these today.

Just needed to get out and do something...

it’s a plastic bottle, for anyone curious.

Illinois is closed. Stay on your own side of the river and keep the f**k out! ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Picked up a 14 year and an 8 year this week. 

1765F12D-245F-4062-9D78-2F3EAA3BD64E.jpeg

F40BDE85-B12A-4089-AB3F-86127985CE0D.jpeg

He’sbaaack!

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Illinois is closed. Stay on your own side of the river and keep the f**k out! ^_^

Biba! Joe

Hey!

Why don't you come down here with your bottle of Weller Blend and say it to my six foot away face !

(I'll leave you a clean, sanitized glass in the mailbox at the end of the driveway).

:P

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Hey!

Why don't you come down here with your bottle of Weller Blend and say it to my six foot away face !

(I'll leave you a clean, sanitized glass in the mailbox at the end of the driveway).

:P

Well seeing as how you put it that way..........?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Picked up a 14 year and an 8 year this week. 

1765F12D-245F-4062-9D78-2F3EAA3BD64E.jpeg

F40BDE85-B12A-4089-AB3F-86127985CE0D.jpeg

#winning

12 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Broke my personal code and bought a HHBiB7 yesterday. Curiosity got the best of me. So far not really noteworthy. Has anyone done a SBS with the 6yr? If I remember correctly the 6 was better.

I did a SBS with the 6 and 7 yr HH BiB and liked the 6yr better.  Even threw in a EW BiB and preferred it to the HH7.  Not going to be spending $40 for HH7BiB again.  Don't get me wrong, it's not bad.  Just not $40 good IMO. 

• I like it 5

13 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I did a SBS with the 6 and 7 yr HH BiB and liked the 6yr better.  Even threw in a EW BiB and preferred it to the HH7.  Not going to be spending $40 for HH7BiB again.  Don't get me wrong, it's not bad.  Just not $40 good IMO. 

My 7 tastes thin . Has some dough flavor .. i dont know if thats what people call baking spices .. just doughy flavor but doesnt make it feel thick. Does not have the traditional HHcharacteristics to me. Like you said .. notbad but not $40 good. Tastes like a craft to me.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

My 7 tastes thin . Has some dough flavor .. i dont know if thats what people call baking spices .. just doughy flavor but doesnt make it feel thick. Does not have the traditional HHcharacteristics to me. Like you said .. notbad but not $40 good. Tastes like a craft to me.

Yeah, even  regular $25 shelf stock Elijah Craig is significantly better in my mind.

Also, The Old Ezra 7y 117p is better and cheaper than the HH7

• I like it 2

On 3/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, kcgumbohead said:

I too am very curious about this one. Let us know once you've had a taste or 3.

High Wire Distilling "Revival" Jimmy Red Bourbon - Seelbach's selection, Cask Strength

Story:  There were only 2 cobs of Jimmy Red corn left in existence after the last man known to grow it passed away. His family gave the seeds to local farmer and seed saver Ted Chewning and he was able to bring it back to life. From two ears in 2013 to an estimated 250,000 lbs in 2017 this bourbon is now able to be produced from a mashbill of 100% Jimmy Red corn.

nose: oily corn grain, buttered corn bread.  Fred Minnick reviewed this and said it's over oaked on the nose but I don't get that at all.  It does smell young, though, which it is at 2 yrs, 8 mos.  But not in a bad way...

palate:  full bodied and oily on the palate, viscous mouthfeel. Delicious sweet ripe corn and cinnamon spice.  Long, sweet, spicy finish.  overall:  This is really unique and like it a lot.  Not sorry I bought it but wouldn't buy another bottle at $110.  If it was half that I'd buy a couple of backups. 

revival notes.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, fosmith said:

I did McKenna 10 year BIB(paid $40), HH 7 yr BIB(paid $43), and Evan Williams BIB(paid $17).  I will keep 1 of all 3 on the shelf just because it makes for a fun blind test when people are over, but yeah, EW BIB will be the one I pour more often just based on value. It is not far off from the other two that cost $23-$26 more, and I am sure many would prefer it blind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.