What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/21/2020 at 3:22 PM, Buckeye82 said:

Just picked up a backup ECBP C919 here in Indiana today.  Really enjoy this batch.  The A120's haven't hit here yet, but looking forward to trying that one soon!

Got one of theC919's 2 days ago at a Publix in SW Florida. Interested to hear your thoughts on the C919. Drinking a C918 currently, very nice.

2 hours ago, GTStagg said:

I did McKenna 10 year BIB(paid $40), HH 7 yr BIB(paid $43), and Evan Williams BIB(paid $17).  I will keep 1 of all 3 on the shelf just because it makes for a fun blind test when people are over, but yeah, EW BIB will be the one I pour more often just based on value. It is not far off from the other two that cost $23-$26 more, and I am sure many would prefer it blind.

Man that EW tasted like cardboard to me. May give it another try. 

53 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Cardboard? That’s interesting. Mine was all brown sugar.

• I like it 1

Picked up one of my groups KC Rye pick and then grabbed a Redwood Empire Batch 002... Not cracking anything for a while... Trying to lose some weight during my “house arrest”

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Which?  The EW or the cardboard?

• I like it 2

If cardboard tastes like EW BIB, i will stop recycling and start eating it, lol.

Try it blind, the $17 bottom shelf boring label plays tricks on your mind. Granted, it isn't a flavor punch like 12 year old barrel proof Elijah Craig, but what is there is well done for a 4 year old.

• I like it 2

On 3/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, fosmith said:

High Wire Distilling "Revival" Jimmy Red Bourbon - Seelbach's selection, Cask Strength

Story:  There were only 2 cobs of Jimmy Red corn left in existence after the last man known to grow it passed away. His family gave the seeds to local farmer and seed saver Ted Chewning and he was able to bring it back to life. From two ears in 2013 to an estimated 250,000 lbs in 2017 this bourbon is now able to be produced from a mashbill of 100% Jimmy Red corn.

nose: oily corn grain, buttered corn bread.  Fred Minnick reviewed this and said it's over oaked on the nose but I don't get that at all.  It does smell young, though, which it is at 2 yrs, 8 mos.  But not in a bad way...

palate:  full bodied and oily on the palate, viscous mouthfeel. Delicious sweet ripe corn and cinnamon spice.  Long, sweet, spicy finish.  overall:  This is really unique and like it a lot.  Not sorry I bought it but wouldn't buy another bottle at $110.  If it was half that I'd buy a couple of backups. 

revival notes.jpg

I have a friend that recently relocated to SC. I plan to visit the distillery when I go up there to see him. At 110.00 or anything like it I am going to need to try it first but I appreciate that they resurrected a special strain of corn and I am sure that process wasn't inexpensive. I wonder if they plan to up the age as stock accumulates year over year,  2.8 as you say is young and I wonder how 4-6 would taste?  Either way when I am nearby I will have to stop in there. Thanks for the notes!!

21 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Got one of theC919's 2 days ago at a Publix in SW Florida. Interested to hear your thoughts on the C919. Drinking a C918 currently, very nice.

Managed to grab 4 bottles of ECBP A120 today for $54.95. 2 are for me and the other 2 for a fellow SBer. At that price, even in this uncertain economic time, it is hard not to grab a few extra for the long haul. 

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, GTStagg said:

If cardboard tastes like EW BIB, i will stop recycling and start eating it, lol.

Heehee!  ? Good one!  

59 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Don’t tell @fishnbowljoe , but I snuck over to IL again

What’s a mother to do?  <_<

Biba! Joe

I took the long way home after work and checked out three stores that are within a mile of each other.  First stop had two CEHT Straight Ryes. Second stop had a ETL, OE7 & a Stagg Jr.  Stop three yielded two Weller Antique.  All were at  msrp.  All of them said beer was flying out the door but bourbon was slow.  

My wife just rolled her eyes when I walked in.

• I like it 7

4 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Ahhhh. Yet another member of “the look” club. ?  Welcome.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:00 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Which?  The EW or the cardboard?

EW.. but wont be in any hurry.  

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I have a friend that recently relocated to SC. I plan to visit the distillery when I go up there to see him. At 110.00 or anything like it I am going to need to try it first but I appreciate that they resurrected a special strain of corn and I am sure that process wasn't inexpensive. I wonder if they plan to up the age as stock accumulates year over year,  2.8 as you say is young and I wonder how 4-6 would taste?  Either way when I am nearby I will have to stop in there. Thanks for the notes!!

Remember that my notes are for a private barrel selection bottled at cask strength.  I think the regular release is proofed down a bit and is less than $110.  That said, the further I get into this bottle, the more I'm enjoying it.  Just delicious sweet cinnamon corn cake/candy!  I'm starting to think I may break down and order another bottle before Seelbach's free shipping offer expires at the end of March... 

• I like it 1

Just purchased a bottle of baby Saz from K&L's web site for $23 marked down from $30.  Haven't had this for a while so I couldn't resist.  Their store is closed due to corona virus so I'll have to have it delivered or wait until the lock down is over to pick it up. 

41 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Just purchased a bottle of baby Saz from K&L's web site for $23 marked down from $30.  Haven't had this for a while so I couldn't resist.  Their store is closed due to corona virus so I'll have to have it delivered or wait until the lock down is over to pick it up. 

They're giving that stuff away down here… 

IMG_4071.thumb.jpg.b68af24486cb3af323e36dd76a0fd320.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

They're giving that stuff away down here… 

IMG_4071.thumb.jpg.b68af24486cb3af323e36dd76a0fd320.jpg

I thought it came out of the tap in your neck of the woods?

"Hot"

"Cold"

&  "Rye"

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I thought it came out of the tap in your neck of the woods?

"Hot"

"Cold"

&  "Rye"

That would be Crown Royal Peach

• I like it 3

stopped in at the Binny's to check out the offerings, walked out with a VOB100 $18.xx otd. Everytime I convince myself to pick up something new, I bite on the cheap good stuff. Just like the orange label VOB90 last week, I'll prob be back tomorrow for another one white label since I hit the limit of 1 for the day.

Edited by TehRegion219
somehow quoted myself?
  • I like it 3

Picked up an A120 ECBP in just the knick of time because i am getting down to the bottom of my C919. Best of all i was able to snag a Weller Full Proof which I am super excited about.

• I like it 5

16 hours ago, Moose3218 said:

Picked up an A120 ECBP in just the knick of time because i am getting down to the bottom of my C919. Best of all i was able to snag a Weller Full Proof which I am super excited about.

You pick both of those in the city?

Little order from woodencork

Could not find the bourbon cream anywhere local - friend recommended woodencork - and while on there saw that had Redemption products on sale for 19.99 - so stocked up some.   

Then added some wine to keep the wife happy ?

IMG_0663.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:45 PM, markandrex said:

I took the long way home after work and checked out three stores that are within a mile of each other.  First stop had two CEHT Straight Ryes. Second stop had a ETL, OE7 & a Stagg Jr.  Stop three yielded two Weller Antique.  All were at  msrp.  All of them said beer was flying out the door but bourbon was slow.  

Even though you didn't say "on the shelf" when you get ETL, CEHT Rye, and Jr. without quibble for retail price-on the same day-maybe the boom is over?

Oh yeah, I pick up SP EC 11yr 3month for $29.99+ and found a WT Master's Keep Decades squirreled in a hole in the back. At first I felt awkward about using the bathroom but changed my tune after that find. 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

You pick both of those in the city?

Western burbs. I would imagine it will be hitting binnys in the next couple weeks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.