What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, parksmart said:

Surprised to see WTKS SB at a local Costco today.  Picked up bottles for myself and @fosmith

Thank you my friend!  For some reason, I've never tried Kentucky Spirit.  The fact that it's usually $60+ and basically single barrel WT has kept me away.  Too other great bourbons at that price point.  But at <$50, it's worth a try...

12 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

UUUGGGHHHHHH!    An "in-yer-face" visual reminder of just how ugly the current WTKS bottles are!     I miss the 'tail fan' bottles so much every time I see these 'new, improved' ones.     Yechhh!

I don't mind the bottle although the old one was much prettier.  But I think they could have done a better job with the label.  Rare Breed is the same bottle but somehow looks so much better.

46 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Thank you my friend!  For some reason, I've never tried Kentucky Spirit.  The fact that it's usually $60+ and basically single barrel WT has kept me away.  Too other great bourbons at that price point.  But at <$50, it's worth a try...

If I’m interpreting these posts correctly I very much enjoy that Parksmart hooked you up AND that you only learned about it on this forum. 

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

If I’m interpreting these posts correctly I very much enjoy that Parksmart hooked you up AND that you only learned about it on this forum. 

While I definitely enjoy finding and sharing bottles, Fred certainly pre-approves the purchases I make on his behalf....... ?

• I like it 1

I picked up a 1.75L bottle of KC at Costco this morning. It has the old style label with no age statement on it. The new style label has been in liquor stores in the KC area for months now. At one time, I thought Costco was buying the KC by the truckload. Now I suspect that they bought a warehouse or two.

Been tempted for months by some bottles of Wild Turkey Bourbon Liqueur from the late 70s/early 80s at my dusty honey hole.  Decided to finally pull the trigger and get a couple bottles.  Waiting for when this dang COVID-19 recedes to the point where it’s safe to meet up with some local SB’ers, and share this with them.

Too tired to post some pics.  Will do so tomorrow.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, parksmart said:

Been tempted for months by some bottles of Wild Turkey Bourbon Liqueur from the late 70s/early 80s at my dusty honey hole.  Decided to finally pull the trigger and get a couple bottles.  Waiting for when this dang COVID-19 recedes to the point where it’s safe to meet up with some local SB’ers, and share this with them.

Too tired to post some pics.  Will do so tomorrow.

Ahhhhh, the 'forerunner' of so many 'flavored' varieties now available.   I actually thought this was pretty good, back when I bought 2 or 3-bottles over a period of several years.    I'd pour a small serving and sip it neat once in a while, but mostly I found it a nice "quickie" way to make a fake Old Fashioned by adding an ounce or so to a couple ounces of WT101, and shaking a few squirts of Angostura bitters into the mix.    I was bummed when it disappeared.   I don't think any of the current 'honey' Bourbons are near as well-made (at least to my taste buddies) as WTBL used to be.    I don't suppose I've tasted 'em, though.    I have tried at least 3; from Beam, WT, and EW, and none are that good.    I'm a little jealous, parksmart.   Enjoy!!!!!

Edited by Richnimrod

8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I picked up a 1.75L bottle of KC at Costco this morning. It has the old style label with no age statement on it. The new style label has been in liquor stores in the KC area for months now. At one time, I thought Costco was buying the KC by the truckload. Now I suspect that they bought a warehouse or two.

When you think how many Costcos there are in the US (500+) they a couple of warehouse of KC sounds about right. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cool. I bought a MMCS on sale in my area for the same price a while back. I haven’t cracked it yet. I sure hope mine is as good as how you’ve described yours.:P

Is the Maker’s PS you mentioned  a regular MM, MMCS, or MM 46? Just wondered. Thanks.

Biba! Joe

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?1BC8743D-4BD8-4695-98B7-8AA2E50EAC25.thumb.jpeg.d4b9d49e33128f307689d1d0ad146ddb.jpeg

7817AE7B-8EC7-4621-BECD-16CF2269DCE5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?

It doesn't matter what our opinions are, they certainly wouldn't be "professional" anyhow :D  I hope you enjoy them!

15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

No, that would be something, though.  Gene, who I met through this forum, lives ~15 minutes from me and we've gotten together to share bourbon a couple of times.  He's a master bourbon sleuth and generously texts me when he finds something good.  I've only been able to return the favor a couple of times and I honestly don't know how he manages to find so many gems in an area as picked over as is the SF Bay area...

• I like it 2

On 5/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, Richnimrod said:

UUUGGGHHHHHH!    An "in-yer-face" visual reminder of just how ugly the current WTKS bottles are!     I miss the 'tail fan' bottles so much every time I see these 'new, improved' ones.     Yechhh!

Those new bottles are FUGLY, a total misstep. The only reason for the inflated price of KS was to justify that fan tail bottle, finding them at COSTCO though likely means they were a bit more reasonable. I miss CA COSTCO.

10 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?1BC8743D-4BD8-4695-98B7-8AA2E50EAC25.thumb.jpeg.d4b9d49e33128f307689d1d0ad146ddb.jpeg

7817AE7B-8EC7-4621-BECD-16CF2269DCE5.jpeg

Ohio released three others as well - for a total of 5 that are available all over the state of Ohio.   I bought and tried the Toffee Almond and was impressed.   Very rich and baking spice forward, more of a winter drinking bourbon.

• I like it 2

On 5/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, parksmart said:

Surprised to see WTKS SB at a local Costco today.  Picked up bottles for myself and @fosmith

B9D9B5AD-316F-4D1B-9571-AECAC44A69E6.jpeg

@parksmart, would you mind PMing me about which Costco you found these at? 

35 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@parksmart, would you mind PMing me about which Costco you found these at? 

PM sent

13 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhhhh, the 'forerunner' of so many 'flavored' varieties now available.   I actually thought this was pretty good, back when I bought 2 or 3-bottles over a period of several years.    I'd pour a small serving and sip it neat once in a while, but mostly I found it a nice "quickie" way to make a fake Old Fashioned by adding an ounce or so to a couple ounces of WT101, and shaking a few squirts of Angostura bitters into the mix.    I was bummed when it disappeared.   I don't think any of the current 'honey' Bourbons are near as well-made (at least to my taste buddies) as WTBL used to be.    I don't suppose I've tasted 'em, though.    I have tried at least 3; from Beam, WT, and EW, and none are that good.    I'm a little jealous, parksmart.   Enjoy!!!!!

Awesome perspective.  Hope this doesn’t make you too wistful!

59F5A4AB-BFD6-46B0-A5D9-C579C507681A.jpeg

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

I didn't even know this stuff existed!

8 hours ago, parksmart said:

Just to be sure it still tastes the same, I think you should send me bottle.... for testing and stuff, ya' know?  ??     PM me, and we'll exchange addresses and such, eh?  ?

Picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof B520 today. Looking forward to popping it and comparing to the only other BP wheater on my shelf, WLW.

20200522_144753.jpg

Took advantage of a sale on WTRB before the end of the month comes.

304747AE-E6D5-4FF7-AF0D-567DF2D708B5.jpeg

• I like it 4

Picked these up passing through Phoenix today. Also grab a few BT 1.75’s at 39.99

08373333-68D8-4E90-B066-289246D371CB.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Picked these up passing through Phoenix today. Also grab a few BT 1.75’s at 39.99

08373333-68D8-4E90-B066-289246D371CB.jpeg

I'm jealous of that little book ch2 at $100 cheapest I've got one for was $110 in Maryland. I sure love seeing them though, enjoy.

6 hours ago, GTStagg said:

Picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof B520 today. Looking forward to popping it and comparing to the only other BP wheater on my shelf, WLW.

20200522_144753.jpg

Just curious, if you have had the standard Larceny, how this one compares?  I have had several bottles of the standard Larceny with each being worse than the last. I doubt I will ever buy another.  However, I have heard good things about the Barrel Proof.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious, if you have had the standard Larceny, how this one compares?  I have had several bottles of the standard Larceny with each being worse than the last. I doubt I will ever buy another.  However, I have heard good things about the Barrel Proof.

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you about my experience.

Like you, the regular Larceny just does not work for me. It's foul. I heard good things, like you, about BP so I gave it a shot.

Long story short, sometimes it was good, many times it had the same funk as regular. It was never great. I was down to the last 4-5 ounces, tried some, got the foul funk and decided I was done and poured the rest down the drain.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.