What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, flahute said:

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you about my experience.

Like you, the regular Larceny just does not work for me. It's foul. I heard good things, like you, about BP so I gave it a shot.

Long story short, sometimes it was good, many times it had the same funk as regular. It was never great. I was down to the last 4-5 ounces, tried some, got the foul funk and decided I was done and poured the rest down the drain.

Thanks Steve,!  That's all I need to hear.  There are too many other great options to spend good money on rather than something that I may or may not enjoy.  Maybe I will run across it sometime and get a try but I just don't like the Larceny profile enough to take a chance, especially after hearing this.

5 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Picked these up passing through Phoenix today. Also grab a few BT 1.75’s at 39.99

08373333-68D8-4E90-B066-289246D371CB.jpeg

Good finds. I opened my bottle of Chapter 2 during quarantine, and you've given me hope I can find another. I'm digging it.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, flahute said:

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you about my experience.

Like you, the regular Larceny just does not work for me. It's foul. I heard good things, like you, about BP so I gave it a shot.

Long story short, sometimes it was good, many times it had the same funk as regular. It was never great. I was down to the last 4-5 ounces, tried some, got the foul funk and decided I was done and poured the rest down the drain.

just curious if you feel the same way about the old Fitzgerald BiB decanters?

or other HH wheated products?

Edited by 0895

Last weekend after GBS held a great Q&A with Will Schragis of Barrell Craft Spirits, I put in an order for a couple of bottles of Batch 21. Anyone have any experience with this batch?

20200523_111824.jpg.2c767bc10b09dfa4f0688c4b46fe82c4.jpg

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

just curious if you feel the same way about the old Fitzgerald BiB decanters?

or other HH wheated products?

So far I've liked all of them. Perhaps one of the best bourbons I've ever tasted was a 16yr old HH wheated that I tasted right out of the barrel. It was aged on the first floor so it had dropped in proof down to 99. Just a sublime experience. The Old Fitz's haven't been that good (I've yet to open the recent older releases) but the 9yr is good. I think my palate just needs the HH wheated distillate to be on the older side.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious, if you have had the standard Larceny, how this one compares?  I have had several bottles of the standard Larceny with each being worse than the last. I doubt I will ever buy another.  However, I have heard good things about the Barrel Proof.

Trying SBS with WLW right now. Obviously, not a fair matchup. I don't see myself reaching for it. If you don't like standard Larceny, I would not recommend the barrel proof. Similar flavors turned up to 10 (think standard EC vs ECBP). 

It has a wheat toast with honey flavor. I am not a big fan of tasting the actual grain in my whiskey, so I usually prefer stuff with some age. Bottle says it is a blend of 6-8 year old. 2-4 more years in oak would probably turn some of that grain taste to vanilla.

• I like it 2

I'm liking the ECBP A120 so much that I went out to buy three more today.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, GTStagg said:

Trying SBS with WLW right now. Obviously, not a fair matchup. I don't see myself reaching for it. If you don't like standard Larceny, I would not recommend the barrel proof. Similar flavors turned up to 10 (think standard EC vs ECBP). 

It has a wheat toast with honey flavor. I am not a big fan of tasting the actual grain in my whiskey, so I usually prefer stuff with some age. Bottle says it is a blend of 6-8 year old. 2-4 more years in oak would probably turn some of that grain taste to vanilla.

Thanks!  It sounds like a couple of votes against if someone doesn't like Larceny.  This is enough to convince me to take a pass.

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I grabbed 2 last weekend because of what I had heard.  One is half gone already. I might make a run tomorrow for another couple.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I grabbed 2 last weekend because of what I had heard.  One is half gone already. I might make a run tomorrow for another couple.

I highly recommend this course!

12 hours ago, flahute said:

I wish I could find 3 more. The lone bottle I got is down to the bottom third. I was able to get multiples of the last few batches, but the a120 was a rarity here.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, flahute said:

I did the same last week.  Glad I did since it's now sold out. C919 is still available at K&L but I have a couple of those and I think A120 is better. 

• I like it 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, Tucker said:

Last weekend after GBS held a great Q&A with Will Schragis of Barrell Craft Spirits, I put in an order for a couple of bottles of Batch 21. Anyone have any experience with this batch?

It's the first Barrell Bourbon that I've had that I feel is worth the price. I've had a few others that were highly rated but the quality/price ratio didn't do it for me. I have half a bottle left and wish I had another. Let us know what you think of it.

• I like it 1

Spent a couple hours searching locals by my home.  Found two that had to be purchased.  Eagle Rare was from the same store I bought them from 2 weeks ago.  That was my first ER, and I have to say I enjoyed that bottle quite a bit.  One of the few bourbons I currently have open below 100 proof. I went to 9 stores locally, 3 of them had ER, 1 of those stores had it on the shelf for 39.99 OTD.  The other two had them on shelves as though they were premium bottles, and priced accordingly.  Both at ~$80+.  

The ECBP C919 was on the shelf at what may have been msrp in my locale, $62.  It sure is high proof, as it is close to the Batch 12 ECBP I have in the bunker.  Going to make room in the cabinet for this and open it as a Birthday present to myself.  If I like it I may go back and grab another.  Was looking for the new expression of ECBP, A120, but was happy to find this one still on the shelves.

20200524_163516[1].jpg

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Been wanting to try this. 

20200524_161759.jpg

Let us know how it is!  I too purchased the pair through the whiskey club but have not decided when it will be prudent to pick it up.   Very excited to try it.

New Riff is also doing great things with their whisky club, the Balboa Rye was really good!

On 5/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, Tucker said:

I just finished this bottle a few weeks ago, and its really good. I have a few in the bunker for down the road. I don't think you will be disappointed.. 

• I like it 1

Ventured into FL on a whiskey run for the first time in a couple of months.  One FRSmBS and the Dickel are to be gifted.

0525201429.jpg

• I like it 1

On 5/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, BoilerinIL said:

It's the first Barrell Bourbon that I've had that I feel is worth the price. I've had a few others that were highly rated but the quality/price ratio didn't do it for me. I have half a bottle left and wish I had another. Let us know what you think of it.

First post?  Welcome to the forum.  Boiler?  Purdue Grad?

6 hours ago, dean_martin said:

Ventured into FL on a whiskey run for the first time in a couple of months.  One FRSmBS and the Dickel are to be gifted.

0525201429.jpg

Look at you!  Pilfering bourbon from neighboring states.  ?

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Look at you!  Pilfering bourbon from neighboring states.  ?

It was easy.  They were at the beach.

• I like it 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, Tucker said:

Didn't Fred Minnick declare this the best whiskey of the year last year? 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:27 AM, geclbxf said:

Let us know how it is!  I too purchased the pair through the whiskey club but have not decided when it will be prudent to pick it up.   Very excited to try it.

New Riff is also doing great things with their whisky club, the Balboa Rye was really good!

It's good.

I was worried that it would be a peat bomb, but it's not. To my palate,  it's subtle.  

I like it.

As far as pick up, a friend of mine just pulled up to the distillery,  and called them. Someone will bring it to your car. I think that you can pop the lid on your trunk, and they'll put it in there. They put them in one of those Whiskey Club bags

I’m a sucker for good deals! Today I met my sister for lunch in Ruidoso NM. She drove up from El Paso, Tx and made a stop for me at her Costco. Had 1.75ltrs of BT at a steal so she grabbed a case for me. A few more stops yielded me a BT store pick, some Booker’s (17-3, 17-4, 18-1). The makers Bespoke are planned to be gifts as friends have kids, ect. I couldn’t pass on the 1792 Store pick in all of its ugly 1.75lt bottle. Lastly, the Woodinville PS 113.6 pf caught my eye an I couldn’t say no. 

like a say every week. I’m stocked up and ain’t buying anything for a month. ??

E010F673-1355-45B0-A92E-368FE44342EA.jpeg

Edited by Not_That_Fancy
  • I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

like a say every week. I’m stocked up and ain’t buying anything for a month. ??

Okay, who’s gonna start the pool?  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.