What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped by a friend’s store today.  It was the first time he’s allowed foot traffic since March.  He pulled me in the back and showed me 3 cases of Weller FP.  He offered two at $69.99/each.  Hell yes!  OK, I am a Weller whore.?

• I like it 5

Not exactly bourbon, but close.  Today I was in a large supermarket.  I spotted Mellow Corn on sale.  I just had to get a couple.  ?

The funny thing is I went in there to check out the malt selection.  A man has to keep an open mind.  I noticed some Tequila too, but the sale goes on, and there was plenty for next time.

• I like it 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, Richnimrod said:

But.... But... It comes with it's own warm little 'Snuggie!   ...At No Extra Charge!   How do you not love that?

I guess it's good enough for John Wick

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Rockefeller said:

I guess it's good enough for John Wick

There ya' go!   

This is the sort of rationale we're failing to grasp here! 

Judging Bourbons only by our satisfaction with the contents versus the cost is sooooooo missing the entire point!   Wake up folx!!!!!

Nice to see some age statements again, and relatively big ones at that…

IMG_4598.thumb.jpg.74b5d90237c143a973e514c3ee54e75e.jpg

• I like it 8

Local grocery chain's whiskey club had a virtual dinner/tasting/class tonight with Heaven Hill. Bernie Lubbers from HH on the Zoom call telling stories and singing songs. The dinner was awesome. It is our 27th wedding anniversary today so that's how we celebrated.  Also picked up a couple HH bourbons today and picking up a HMcK10 tomorrow that I "won" in the raffle that was part of the event.  They had about 9 bottles of OF BIB 15 and was really hoping for one of those!!

20200605_195143.jpg

20200605_190314.jpg

20200605_174901.jpg

• I like it 8

31 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Local grocery chain's whiskey club had a virtual dinner/tasting/class tonight with Heaven Hill. Bernie Lubbers from HH on the Zoom call telling stories and singing songs. The dinner was awesome. It is our 27th wedding anniversary today so that's how we celebrated.  Also picked up a couple HH bourbons today and picking up a HMcK10 tomorrow that I "won" in the raffle that was part of the event.  They had about 9 bottles of OF BIB 15 and was really hoping for one of those!!

20200605_195143.jpg

20200605_190314.jpg

20200605_174901.jpg

You may have missed out on the OF BIB 15 but it looks like you did well!  I really like the ECBP A120.  Happy Anniversary!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Mattk said:

I grabbed this one up for my dad today

IMG_20200605_140425.jpg

IMG_20200605_140414.jpg

This is my last purchase also. I got a SiB Select from Warehouse Liquors in Chicago a couple of days before the store was looted in the protests. Always a good one and a fair price.

• I like it 1

I have never had a store pick ER, but I recently purchased my first ER bottle locally and will empty it in the next week.  At $40 otd for me, not such a value, but I did really enjoy.  I like the phrase, "...it punches above its weight..." for this bourbon.  I am hoping to continue to find them on the shelves locally, even if they are marked slightly above average because of allotment in our state.

Not today but this week for the first time this year I bought some bourbon, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Larceny Barrel Proof.  I've yet to sample either.  Perhaps this evening I'll give them a taste.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Mattk said:

I grabbed this one up for my dad today

IMG_20200605_140425.jpg

IMG_20200605_140414.jpg

It's always appropriate that we thank our fathers for overcoming their reluctance to let us go out into the world to make our own mistakes or better yet, to grow up and develop a taste for good whiskey. I hope you scooped up one of those for yourself when you had the opportunity.

• I like it 2

My haul on Wednesday.  First EHTSB will open the evening I get permit from the city to start construction on my first totally owned business.  Hopefully sooner rather than later....

FB52F739-7B70-44BE-B55E-B034A872FE42.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Richdel said:

I have never had a store pick ER, but I recently purchased my first ER bottle locally and will empty it in the next week.  At $40 otd for me, not such a value, but I did really enjoy.  I like the phrase, "...it punches above its weight..." for this bourbon.  I am hoping to continue to find them on the shelves locally, even if they are marked slightly above average because of allotment in our state.

The store picks are usually a bit different from the standard ER bottles imo.

If you come across one at a fair price, I would recommend picking it up for a different experience.

Some of the store picks are rumored to be mashbill #2, and I personally know of at least one local stores pick that is/was.

The one I have open now I would some days swear it's Blanton's or ETL, but it could just all be in my head.  Other days it doesn't taste like anything familiar.

But it's darn good!

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The store picks are usually a bit different from the standard ER bottles imo.

If you come across one at a fair price, I would recommend picking it up for a different experience.

Some of the store picks are rumored to be mashbill #2, and I personally know of at least one local stores pick that is/was.

The one I have open now I would some days swear it's Blanton's or ETL, but it could just all be in my head.  Other days it doesn't taste like anything familiar.

But it's darn good!

What he said. ? 

After Wellers, ER was my next experience with BT bourbons. I've had, or at least tried to have at least one in my stash ever since. A couple or three years ago, finding it became a bit of a struggle, and when you did find it, some stores really jacked up the price. Thankfully it appears to be more readily available nowadays, and the pricing has stabilized. Well, at least in my area. FWIW, I'm glad to see my name is still on the back the bottles. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

'Nuff Ced! ?

Biba! Joe C.

DSC_0007.thumb.jpeg.0a86e13ae672f182f2cd043ac17fa657.jpeg

• I like it 1

HH bourbons have been hitting the spot lately. I've been out of EC all of 2020, and I'm not sure I've bought a bottle of EWB since college. I'm pretty excited to open it. 

20200606_180044.jpg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

'Nuff Ced! ?

Biba! Joe C.

A celebrity in more ways than one! 

Several years ago Westport in Louisville purchased two ER 10 barrels that aged side-by-side in the rickhouse.  The profiles couldn't  have been more different and each was stellar in it's own right.

29 minutes ago, Paddy said:

MMCS for 39.99.  Hella yeah!?

Wow. Bargain basement pricing right there.

Reload on another Wild Turkey 101, today. Listening to some Seger tonight, and this bit from “Like a Rock” pretty much sums up my thoughts on what this whiskey represents:

And I stood arrow straight
Unencumbered by the weight
Of all these hustlers and their schemes
I stood proud, I stood tall
High above it all
I still believed in my dreams

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

'Nuff Ced! ?

Biba! Joe C.

Joe C is Joe Congiusti. He was once the whiskey buyer at Sam’s in Chicago, and later went to work at Binny’s. Funny story here. I was at BT a couple of years ago and they had just put out some ER. A young lady that worked there was putting the last of the bottles on the shelf when I said to her I was glad they were finally putting some of my bottles of ER out. She looked at me funny and asked “Your bottles?” I said yes and that my name was on the back. She said “ No way.” I said yes way, then showed here the back of the bottle, and then my drivers license. All she could say was “Oh, cool.” When all my shopping was done, I spotted her when I was on my way out. I fessed up and told her the truth. Thankfully she took it in good stride and we both had a good laugh. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe C is Joe Congiusti. He was once the whiskey buyer at Sam’s in Chicago, and later went to work at Binny’s. Funny story here. I was at BT a couple of years ago and they had just put out some ER. A young lady that worked there was putting the last of the bottles on the shelf when I said to her I was glad they were finally putting some of my bottles of ER out. She looked at me funny and asked “Your bottles?” I said yes and that my name was on the back. She said “ No way.” I said yes way, then showed here the back of the bottle, and then my drivers license. All she could say was “Oh, cool.” When all my shopping was done, I spotted her when I was on my way out. I fessed up and told her the truth. Thankfully she took it in good stride and we both had a good laugh. ?

Biba! Joe

Hey, I believed you!   ?

11 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, I believed you!   ?

Thanks pal.?

On 6/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, Special Reserve said:

Not today but this week for the first time this year I bought some bourbon, Four Roses Small Batch Select and Larceny Barrel Proof.  I've yet to sample either.  Perhaps this evening I'll give them a taste.

Well I tasted both last night.  Th Four Roses was a fine pour very pleasing $50/bottle probably a fair price but the state price is $60/bottle.

Now Larceny Barrel Proof, I knew I was drinking a fine bourbon, I'd easily buy more very nice mouth feel and finish, for kicks, I had a little pour of WLW to compare, now there is a reason why WLW is more expensive.  Larceny BP not up to WLW but not totally out of the game either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.