What Bourbon Did You Open Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks Kepler. It’s all good. My two week head start was because of shoulder surgery. 

Oh yeah. How are you doing after shoulder surgery? I had one of those a long time ago, I feel your pain ?

I recovered so I'm confident you can too Joe. ?

Just now, Kepler said:

Oh yeah. How are you doing after shoulder surgery? I had one of those a long time ago, I feel your pain ?

I recovered so I'm confident you can too Joe. ?

Thanks. So far so good. ?

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Our office has been working from home starting this week and we had our first ever virtual beer:30 yesterday via Microsoft Teams which is a platform that I didn't even know existed until this week.

It worked out exceptionally well and it was so good to see the familiar faces of my co-workers. We may have to do a virtual gazebo in late April.

I know people who have started having these virtual happy hours. Glad to hear it worked ok. Crazy times we are living in these days.

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks. So far so good. ?

Good to hear. Your PT will be challenging with social distancing. Hopefully you can do some remote PT with the therapists via facetime or whatever. Wishing you a speedy recovery, SB needs you! ?

22 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

OK.  Bottle opened (I hope you're happy Vosgar & smokinjoe).  Recently picked up a bottle of Fighting Cock and decided that would be the pour de jour (it rhymes . . . get it).  Anyway I really enjoyed it while watching Secretariat. 

Am I happy? Not really, had higher expectations for what you'd open. Nothing against FC, it's a good whiskey, but starting the new thread should've involved opening something better than a $20 bottle.

18 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Am I happy? Not really, had higher expectations for what you'd open. Nothing against FC, it's a good whiskey, but starting the new thread should've involved opening something better than a $20 bottle.

??? 

53 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

BOTY layin' down the law right there.

Figured I couldn’t go wrong with my first purchase of a handle WT101

CD1C2237-3B8C-461A-AEB5-DBF4D6C39BD1.jpeg

Edited by BlueMonk
  • I like it 7

23 minutes ago, BlueMonk said:

Figured I couldn’t go wrong with my first purchase of a handle WT101

CD1C2237-3B8C-461A-AEB5-DBF4D6C39BD1.jpeg

You couldnt be more right. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

BOTY layin' down the law right there.

Nah, just responding to a statement directed to me. I'm just another schmoe with an opinion. :D

• I like it 3

53 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Nah, just responding to a statement directed to me. I'm just another schmoe with an opinion. :D

Downplaying it, just as a BOTY would do. Zen deflection right there.

• I like it 2

Yesterday (Sunday) early afternoon, I opened something I've never had and featured it as VBT # 721 (which nobody's yet guessed).  It was more than $20 but not outrageous.  I shall continue to evaluate it late this evening and probably late tomorrow.  Why late?  Doing chores I've postponed for years - attic cleaning, anyone?  Well, maybe not THAT chore.

• I like it 1

Been doing the Social Distancing thing and decided to crack a few bottles that have been hiding in the back of the cabinet. Tonight it's going to be a bottle of Booker's (Toogie's Invitation) from 2016. Never had Booker's before, so I'm looking forward to it. I've got more "Special Occasion" bottles than I'll ever have "Special Occasions", so I've decided to open a few.

• I like it 9

3 hours ago, BDanner said:

Been doing the Social Distancing thing and decided to crack a few bottles that have been hiding in the back of the cabinet. Tonight it's going to be a bottle of Booker's (Toogie's Invitation) from 2016. Never had Booker's before, so I'm looking forward to it. I've got more "Special Occasion" bottles than I'll ever have "Special Occasions", so I've decided to open a few.

Well!    The Toogie's may spoil you for most other Booker's batches, if your palate is fond of the sweeter, caramel notes, BD.   

There have been other good ones; but, for my palate (which is such a one) Toogie's is right up near the very top.    ENJOY!!!!  ?

• I like it 3

I opened another Costco jug of Larceny this afternoon. It's a pleasant enough whiskey but HH missed out on the bottle itself by not including one of those widgets at the mouth of the bottle that prevent gushing pours and the resultant waste from spillage or wasted imbibers who'd never think of trying to put the whiskey back in the bottle.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, BDanner said:

I've only had a few bottles of Booker's over the years. A couple of numbered batches, Dot's Batch and Toogie's invitation. Toogie's was my favorite. It might be the power of suggestive thinking though. I know I've posted the story about meeting Fred Now and Toogie at Kurtz before, so I won't bother posting it again. Enjoy your bottle of Toogie's Invitation. Pic of Toogie below. :)

Biba! Joe

Unknown.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 3/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, Vosgar said:

In the best Steve Martin voice I can muster, "WELL EXXXCUUUUSSSEEE ME!"  What could I do, all of my $150 - $200 dollar bottles have already been opened. :P:D

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I've only had a few bottles of Booker's over the years. A couple of numbered batches, Dot's Batch and Toogie's invitation. Toogie's was my favorite. It might be the power of suggestive thinking though. I know I've posted the story about meeting Fred Now and Toogie at Kurtz before, so I won't bother posting it again. Enjoy your bottle of Toogie's Invitation. Pic of Toogie below. :)

Biba! Joe

Unknown.jpeg

That's awesome!  And, it would be really cool to have gotten her to sign a bottle of Toogie's Invitation.  It's of my favorite batches also.  Glad I bunkered a few as I don't feel the recent batches are as good. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Well!    The Toogie's may spoil you for most other Booker's batches, if your palate is fond of the sweeter, caramel notes, BD.   

There have been other good ones; but, for my palate (which is such a one) Toogie's is right up near the very top.    ENJOY!!!!  ?

4 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That's awesome!  And, it would be really cool to have gotten her to sign a bottle of Toogie's Invitation.  It's of my favorite batches also.  Glad I bunkered a few as I don't feel the recent batches are as good. 

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

HOLY SMOKES! That was one of my favorite pours ever. Jet Fuel. Clingy, Syrupy, Delicious Jet Fuel. A little water turned it into an old school McDonald's Caramel Sundae with the chopped peanuts sprinkled on top. I bought this online for $40 a few years ago and now wish I had bought a couple. Nice that you have met the legend herself. 

To be honest, the pic of Toogie is one I got from the web. Unfortunately, I don’t take my camera with me when I/we eat at Kurtz. I sure wish I would have had it with me the day we saw and talked to Fred Noe and his wife there. It was priceless.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Didn't mean to derail the thread.  

On topic, since I'm self-quarantined, I've had time to drink down some stinkers and open some good bottles of bourbon to mark this auspicious epoch.  I just opened the Larceny A120 and tried a small neck pour.  This bottle needs lots of air time!  

I squirreled a few bottles of the 7year Virgin Bourbon away and had one more at hand to open now.  I'm drinking it along side one of my last bottles of the old-bottle shape Elijah Craig.  

I'm loving the Legent, and I've just opened a couple of teenage KCSiB PS bottlings acquired a few years ago.  

I also just opened the RRSiB bottling from Camp Nelson A.  Some damn fine Turkey.  

I've been ripping through a bottle of the Willett 4 year rye, which is why I can't open them very often.  

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!!  

• I like it 1

Popped this one tonight - from MOM before they stopped shipping.  Barrel was dumped on 6/20/2016

image.jpg

• I like it 4

Opened a new OBSV today.

9y, 11m

124.8p

delicate, fruity, spicy, & creamy, just like the cheat sheet says!

Yum!

F00EC326-D877-4A81-A379-97A7297A89F2.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.