What Bourbon Did You Open Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is just a magnificent bourbon straight from the bottle. With a splash of water it's..........uh.......what's beyond magnificent? Selected in 2014 with JR leading us, it's my favorite PS (so far!) 11yr 3mo OBSV, this barrel yielded only 70 some bottles. I thought I was going to get 2 or 3, but when the LS owner said I could have a case of 6, I didn't give him a chance to rescind the offer :D

Interesting side note. After we had selected this one, JR lifted up one end of the barrel and said it would only give us about 72 bottles. I can't remember the exact amount we got, but I think it was either 75 or 78. The man knows his stuff!

2014 FR.jpg

• I like it 12

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Interesting side note. After we had selected this one, JR lifted up one end of the barrel and said it would only give us about 72 bottles. I can't remember the exact amount we got, but I think it was either 75 or 78. The man knows his stuff!

2014 FR.jpg

Similar experience with one of our GBS 4R  OESO picks.  JR picked up the end and said, “This will yield 81 bottles.”  Troyce walked over to check for himself and managed to give himself a double hernia while not budging it an inch, and predicted in a squeaky falsetto while lying on the floor clutching his junk, “900 bottles, minimum...”  ?

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Similar experience with one of our GBS 4R  OESO picks.  JR picked up the end and said, “This will yield 81 bottles.”  Troyce walked over to check for himself and managed to give himself a double hernia while not budging it an inch, and predicted in a squeaky falsetto while lying on the floor clutching his junk, “900 bottles, minimum...”  ?

LMAO!!!   

Bonus: It's totally believable ?

Still opening bottles from last weeks picks. Tonight is the last night in April New Mexico will allow liquor stores to be open. Might as well start exploring some of my unopened bottles. 

First sip hits me with a young, heavy corn mash bill, simple on the palate pour. 

72898C2C-3BA5-43A5-9152-E3D37C3A2F38.jpeg

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Batch 8 from 2017.

Initial impressions are good.

98643530-B2CC-4276-8DAA-95F1D37BB2BE.jpeg

I've got a bottle of this open and I agree.  Very good and not a ton of heat for an almost 130 proof bottle.  It's one of my favorites if I'm having bourbon with a steak.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

Batch 8 from 2017.

Initial impressions are good.

This was my first batch of Stagg Jr. and it was a revelation.  A huge butterscotch bomb without the heat or rough edges of some batches.  I still have a couple of bottles and it remains one of my favorites. 

I finished off the last ounce or so of a 1.75L of WT101 and opened another 1.75L WT101 for a short pour. It's kind of like football with its "Next Man UP!" philosophy.

Once this CV thing abates and Mrs PG and I can head East to visit my family, I think I'll detour to the distillery to try to personally thank Jimmy or Eddie Russell should one of them be greeting people in the visitor's center.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Opened this one tonight. 

20200407_223001.jpg

How was this?     I've had a few Wathens' expressions/batches over the years, and pretty much always found it a little too 'smooth' or even 'bland'.   Does this one satisfy you?

Opened a good bottle and smoking a fine cigar. 80's today in Memphis so time to celebrate a very warm Spring day. Yeah!

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.efcb60f88d7a8fe1f2673cb64bf41efc.JPG

• I like it 3

I opened the first two 4R’s barrel picks that I helped pick. (Just the store owner and me) The OBSK is the best of the two. (Both are very good though)  It’s been quite a few years sense Ive had ether one, so why not open them together.  
BBBDF0D5-9495-4BF1-974A-65D6F0B49CB1.thumb.jpeg.48d7f0881e82d44121f4ff210d916f96.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 5

14 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

How was this?     I've had a few Wathens' expressions/batches over the years, and pretty much always found it a little too 'smooth' or even 'bland'.   Does this one satisfy you?

I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first bottle, and I'm gonna need a few more pours (duh!), but my initial thoughts were that it had a pretty good nose... like, vanilla was what came to mind. Flavors were, for me, pretty typical. Maybe a bit hot. Pretty solid pour, but way overpriced IMHO. We'll see how this develops. 

• I like it 1

On 4/8/2020 at 7:09 PM, LCWoody said:

I opened the first two 4R’s barrel picks that I helped pick. (Just the store owner and me) The OBSK is the best of the two. (Both are very good though)  It’s been quite a few years sense Ive had ether one, so why not open them together.  
BBBDF0D5-9495-4BF1-974A-65D6F0B49CB1.thumb.jpeg.48d7f0881e82d44121f4ff210d916f96.jpeg

That's cool LCWoody.  Small world! I have a couple of barrel picks from that same store that I picked up while passing through once a few years ago. Did you by chance pick these too? 

20200411_002217.jpg

Edited by Kepler
Now I realize the OESK is the same barrel. I look forward to tasting it!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.