BOTM 04/20 Buffalo Trace

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!!!  What’s in question here, Jakey?  The “finished”, the “recently bought”, or “regular” BT?  CV induced confinement is messing with all of us, bro!!   It’s alright.  We’ll get our Baseball back soon, then we can all get back to hatin’ on the Nats...or Phillies, or Marlins, or...........................Mets.... ?

BASEBALL!  (You had to say it!!)  Slowly I turn.  Step by step.  Inch by inch . . .

While my basic BT is out of reach at a remote location, I do have a store pick from my favorite store for picks.  Their three pickers usually pick something I love.  I may have to open it as soon as I finish the VOB 100 currently on my clothes closet floor (in the bottle).

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

BASEBALL!  (You had to say it!!)  Slowly I turn.  Step by step.  Inch by inch . . .

While my basic BT is out of reach at a remote location, I do have a store pick from my favorite store for picks.  Their three pickers usually pick something I love.  I may have to open it as soon as I finish the VOB 100 currently on my clothes closet floor (in the bottle).

When I was younger, I was a big Tigers fan.

Last week I had the pleasure of watching the entire 7th game of the 1968 World Series.  That was the first complete baseball game I watch either life or on TV since the early 90's.

A local station was running some baseball game to honor Al Kaline, Mr.Tiger, who recently died.

I don't miss baseball, but I have been watching football highlights and music videos on YouTube.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s alright.  We’ll get our Baseball back soon, then we can all get back to hatin’ on the Nats...or Phillies, or Marlins, or...........................Mets.... ?

Might have to enjoy your BT while developing animosity to an entirely new set of teams to hate given one of the latest proposals for starting baseball back up in Florida and Arizona only.

Here's a look at one realignment structure:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.

SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.

EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.

WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.

NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

When I was younger, I was a big Tigers fan.

Last week I had the pleasure of watching the entire 7th game of the 1968 World Series.  That was the first complete baseball game I watch either life or on TV since the early 90's.

Ouch. You just had to make things worse by bringing up a sad, sad day for me. I was a hardcore Cardinals fan back in the day and never dreamed Bob Gibson would lose game 7.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Ouch. You just had to make things worse by bringing up a sad, sad day for me. I was a hardcore Cardinals fan back in the day and never dreamed Bob Gibson would lose game 7.

Sorry, not intentional. I probably felt the same way a year earlier when the Tigers missed the pennant by one game and allowed the Red Sox to lose to the Cards in the World Series.

2 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Sorry, not intentional. I probably felt the same way a year earlier when the Tigers missed the pennant by one game and allowed the Red Sox to lose to the Cards in the World Series.

I know it wasn't intentional, I should've worded things differently.

That was quite a year for pitchers, my Gibson had the 1.12 ERA and your McLain won 31 games! Amazing stats! Long gone are the days of any pitcher starting that many games and throwing over 300 innings in a season.

Back on topic..... Out on the porch having some of the PS BT I mentioned earlier along with a cigar. It's about 60 outside and I've discovered this bottle tastes a little better when chilled to that temp. 

Edited by Vosgar

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I know it wasn't intentional, I should've worded things differently.

That was quite a year for pitchers, my Gibson had the 1.12 ERA and your McLain won 31 games! Amazing stats! Long gone are the days of any pitcher starting that many games and throwing over 300 innings in a season.

Back on topic..... Out on the porch having some of the PS BT I mentioned earlier along with a cigar. It's about 60 outside and I've discovered this bottle tastes a little better when chilled to that temp. 

Gibson sure was the ace in the mid 60's how many strikeouts in the WS games something like 18 out of 27 outs, amazing.  After the fourth game my hopes weren't too high but a Curt Flood stumble later, everything changed.

It turns out that Denny McClain was a fraud, he didn't do so well in the WS and he had major problems later in life including destroying my favorite meat packing company, Farmer Pete's.  The country store in my little home town in the thumb of Michigan carried their lunch meats and their "hickory stick" (a summer sausage) was the best.  I'd always buy a stick when I visited my parents.

McClain winning 31 games in the regular season was amazing, but it was Mickey Lolich who went 3-0 in the series that really counted.  Lolich was had a bit of a belly already that steadily grew throughout his career.  Perhaps it was a result of his donut shop that he owned.

One of my favorites Tigers was Gates Brown, The Gator, his upper arms were bigger than my thighs.  A great pinch hitter.  Through one of my uncles, I got to met the Gator in the bowels of Tiger Stadium.  Good times.

38 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

One of my favorites Tigers was Gates Brown, The Gator, his upper arms were bigger than my thighs.  A great pinch hitter.  Through one of my uncles, I got to met the Gator in the bowels of Tiger Stadium.  Good times.

A great blast from the past!  As you say, Gates Brown was a great pinch hitter.  Our high school baseball team back in the late ‘70s would give the honorary salute of “Gates Brown!”, to the guy who got a big pinch hit for us.  

Funny story (to me anyways, as I’m the only one who got it...?), our since moved next door neighbors had their first son ~1992.  They named him Gates...after the mom’s maiden name.  As he grew into a toddler, and would run around playing in our yards when we had cookouts and stuff, I’d yell after him, “Hey, Gates Brown!   “.  They never asked why, but I could see the wheels turning in their heads (particularly mom) trying to figure what the heck I meant.  Not sure they know why to this day!  ?.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Fuggetabowt Gibson and McLain!   That series was ALL about Mickey Lolich!   ...He of the (shall we say) large front porch, courtesy of all them doughnuts.

• I like it 1

I am not a big fan of BT at its regular price.  As @PaulO noted, you can occasionally find it for <$20 in the Indy area.  However, I prefer WT101 or OGD BIB in the same price range and I can find EC NAS for a few $ more.  I have had some stellar BT private selections.  Standard BT does work well in cocktails.  I have used it in a Manhattan with Vermouth, Bitters and Frangelico.  Of course, I add a few maraschino cherries.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:28 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Slowly I turn.  Step by step.  Inch by inch . . .

Love the reference to the “Niagara’s Falls” bit Harry. The Three Stooges or Abbot And Costello? FWIW, I like both, but I prefer The Theee Stooges.  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I enjoy BT off the shelf and I've had SPs that can be described as sublime. The big difference in tasting of any and all bourbons is the condition of my sinuses. They also affect whether I have some bothersome tinnitus (misspent youth) and hearing in general.  I've found that using a saline nasal rinse such as the Neilmed kits for a few days to a week makes a big difference, especially at 4PM when Happy Hour starts at Casa de PG. A healthy pour, some good tunes, and life during the Bore-antine seems much better.

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Love the reference to the “Niagara’s Falls” bit Harry. The Three Stooges or Abbot And Costello? FWIW, I like both, but I prefer The Theee Stooges.  ;)

Biba! Joe

STOOGES is the one I remember seeing first.  It was in a short film that preceded "Cartoon Saturday" at the local movie theater.  I remember it well as we all took turns being the madman on the way home.  Was tough to do on bicycles but we managed.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

STOOGES is the one I remember seeing first.  It was in a short film that preceded "Cartoon Saturday" at the local movie theater.  I remember it well as we all took turns being the madman on the way home.  Was tough to do on bicycles but we managed.

As long as it appears that there is tacit approval to drift way off topic, it seems to me that both the Stooges and Abbot & Costello inherited it from a still older vaudeville act. But I may be still older than youse.

• I like it 2

My favorite lls always gets great trace barrels. I have lots with my favorite being the case I call "baby bourbon" as it was gifted to a friend celebrating baby #3. 

Ludens cherry nose, rich coating texture, and cherry pie on the palette.  Sweet rich delicious bourbon. I'm enjoying a pour of it right now. Thanks for the nudge. Prost!

• I like it 2

I'm actually enjoying two different BT store picks tonight. One is an excellent classic representation of BT, and the other is a unique oak heavy barrel. Interesting contrast, but both are good.

• I like it 1

Back on topic, BT is one of those bourbons I took for granted. Always available at a decent price. Too often, though, my eyes got big when I ran across something that was not readily available so got that instead. (Mrs. F, on the other hand, picked up a bottle whenever she saw it and was willing to share.)  Now I miss it. because the bunker is depleted--not of everything, just BT. Some of you are fortunate to have access. A LS clerk in Gardiner, MT told me it was made by some itty bitty distillery that could not keep up with demand. I didn't argue.

• I like it 4

I think BT is a good standard bourbon when you are at restaurant, plain, ext. And every time I have one when I'm out I think, "I should pick one up for the house" then I get back home and realize why I don't have the standard, because I have a bunch of vary good store picks.  

Standard bottles of Buffalo Trace are ho-hum for me, but at the same time, for $25 it's an OK deal and worth having on the shelf.  Plus, you can get 3, or so, bottles for the price of a Blanton's.  But like someone else mentioned, it's about the same price as Elijah Craig, which is a phenomenal bourbon for $27 (older, higher proof), and WT 101 is even better at ~$20.  I would even pick an Eagle Rare for ~$32 over a Buffalo Trace at $25.  I just don't think it really competes well with other Buffalo Trace offerings or its competition.  

The standard bottling is solid and consistently good for the price, but not something I would chase.  I have had some amazing store picks, but  it blows my mind that that the standard bottling  rarely even hits the shelves at many places and is considered allocated.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.