What are some good $250-300$ USD bourbons?

columbiasand
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:00 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Where do you live?  FWIW, there are times that location plays a rather large part in being able to find certain products.

Biba! Joe

That's quite right.  Here in Pennsylvania, prohibition has returned - no bourbon can be legally purchased at any price.   

• I like it 1

You gotta be kidding me!  Even in MI we can still buy alcohol, and we supposedly have (had?) the strictest stay at home orders of all.  What does the Gov expect you to do all day?!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

That's quite right.  Here in Pennsylvania, prohibition has returned - no bourbon can be legally purchased at any price.   

@Jazzhead, you've got to be kidding? That right there is truly cruel and unusual punishment! What's the rationale behind it? 

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that. In all seriousness, that really does sound like a cruel thing to do to people when they're confined to their homes. I hope you have enough in your bunker to tide you over! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

Yes, it really is prohibition once more in Pennsylvania.   Not for beer and wine - those are distributed through different channels.   But bourbon  (and other hard liquors)  are the exclusive province of the Commonwealth.   The state's liquor monopoly means that when the state stores are closed,  there's no way to buy a bottle of bourbon in Pennsylvania.    You can, of course,  always trek to Jersey or Delaware and bring your cooties there.  

(I did in fact make it over to Jersey last week,  and was fascinated how the real world works in the face of a pandemic.  One liquor store allowed no more than 10 customers in the store, so I had to wait for a couple of minutes,  and limited shopping time to five minutes.  I snagged a botlle of Four Roses Small Batch Select.    The other one required me to don a mask (in may case,  a ballcap held to the face).   There I supported private sector commerce and relieved their inventory of some Rock Town Arkansas Bourbon.   ( It's not bad)

Small businesses should be allowed to open so long as they enforce reasonable social distancing.   To close the Pennsy State Stores is the Commonwealth virtue-signaling to the tune of millions in lost revenue.   But that's the downside of a state monopoly.   When you order thousands of private businesses to close and millions to the unemployment lines, it's unseemly, I guess, to be running a retail operation without competition.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

I like the Wild Turkey Master's Keep idea. If you want bourbon, then the "Revival" sherry finished, or the "Decades" (if you can still find it anywhere) for a regular unfinished bourbon.

So many of the other high end bourbons that are actually legit are so hard to find I don't even recommend them anymore. But the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is somewhat available and it actually compares favorably to almost all other bottles that typically sell for $200.

• I like it 4

Bought a case of WT handles a couple weeks ago.  Best $228.31 dollar bourbon yet.  :D

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.