What water of life did you purchase - Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Brought to you by the makers of White Claw… I need to try this one-- at least it carries an age statement.

Who is one of my clients. I've known about this one for a while but have been afraid to try. 

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Who is one of my clients. I've known about this one for a while but have been afraid to try. 

Do you know my pal Sanjiv?

29 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I know the name but have never interacted with him. My client is the founder of the parent company.

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A Hiram Walker era 10 year for the price of a 2020 model-- and to top it off, a pair of ancient Ballantine's Finest (scruffy labels, but otherwise perfect) for a dollar each. No ABV statement on the blends, or really much info at all.

IMG_4587.thumb.jpg.9f032fadc3cefdf7b3ee48e551f1e488.jpg

I was in a bar in Poland a couple of years back and asked for a Blanton's. What I was served was Ballantines. I think it must be the only combination of pours where one pour said phonetically and slowly equals another (well, almost at least). 

Jealous you get 43% Laph 10 over there... 

3 hours ago, beasled said:

I was in a bar in Poland a couple of years back and asked for a Blanton's. What I was served was Ballantines. I think it must be the only combination of pours where one pour said phonetically and slowly equals another (well, almost at least). 

Jealous you get 43% Laph 10 over there... 

I've had the same problem ordering Bakers and receiving Maker's Mark. If you had received a pour of this 70s-era Ballantine's vs. Blanton's, you would be pleased-- it's really nice.

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Forgot to ask - do you do work for the Mark Anthony Group?

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I've had the same problem ordering Bakers and receiving Maker's Mark. If you had received a pour of this 70s-era Ballantine's vs. Blanton's, you would be pleased-- it's really nice.

I bet. I enjoyed the pour I had as it was

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Forgot to ask - do you do work for the Mark Anthony Group?

Nope.

Today I was attending a party for some recent graduates in Bloomington.  Thank goodness liquor stores are allowing patrons inside again.  I had to make a little time for browsing before heading home.  Anyway, in my beginner's steps to learn about malts, came home with Glenmorangie 10 year.  It's very pale, so I doubt added color.  Taste is balanced, almost delicate, no rough edges.  Maybe I'll come up with better descriptions after I spend more time with it.  It was worth getting.

• I like it 1

Ok, here's my description of Glenmorangie 10.  It has basically no alcohol burn for 86 proof.  It reminds me of drinking a semi sweet white wine like Riesling.  There are some of the pepper and herbal notes I associate with single malt, but those are way in the background. 

47 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Ok, here's my description of Glenmorangie 10.  It has basically no alcohol burn for 86 proof.  It reminds me of drinking a semi sweet white wine like Riesling.  There are some of the pepper and herbal notes I associate with single malt, but those are way in the background. 

It’s my pre-flight breakfast malt at the Delta Sky Club. A gentle segue into the morning that pairs well with non-citrus fruit and granola/yogurt. 

• I like it 2

This was a little more than the standard 18. At 54.7% with that colour this seemed like great value to me.

20200602_164227.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, beasled said:

This was a little more than the standard 18. At 54.7% with that colour this seemed like great value to me.

Seeing that it was aged in a sherry butt, there should be a decent amount of colour to it. 18yr Bunnahabhain, especially at that abv, should also be delicious! ?

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

Seeing that it was aged in a sherry butt, there should be a decent amount of colour to it. 18yr Bunnahabhain, especially at that abv, should also be delicious! ?

Indeed. I'm not a massive sherry fan, per se. I prefer a well integrated Oloroso cask over an in-your-face PX blackcurrant jobby, so this should do nicely. I will report back once research has commenced! 

It finally made it - my birthday present to myself (paid for by a Zoom bourbon tasting I hosted a couple of weeks ago).  A "Year of the Rat" Commerative box with two (2) 750ml bottles of The Macallan 12yr Double Cask.  The knots on the box and bottles have special significance in the Chinese culture (longevity and good luck) and the Rat starts a new 12yr cycle of the Chinese Zodiac.  It is my birth year, so you can figure out how old, old, old I am!

The Macallan Year of the Rat Double Cask.jpg

Even tho' I've been a fan of the Sherry Oak expressions for decades (12, 18, 25 yr and the Over 25 Anniversary Edition in the wood box with the leather straps), I really like the mouthfeel and flavors of the Double Cask as well.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

31 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

It finally made it - my birthday present to myself (paid for by a Zoom bourbon tasting I hosted a couple of weeks ago).  A "Year of the Rat" Commerative box with two (2) 750ml bottles of The Macallan 12yr Double Cask.  The knots on the box and bottles have special significance in the Chinese culture (longevity and good luck) and the Rat starts a new 12yr cycle of the Chinese Zodiac.  It is my birth year, so you can figure out how old, old, old I am!

Even tho' I've been a fan of the Sherry Oak expressions for decades (12, 18, 25 yr and the Over 25 Anniversary Edition in the wood box with the leather straps), I really like the mouthfeel and flavors of the Double Cask as well.   ?

Happy Birthday to you!  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:19 PM, GeeTen said:

On 6/3/2020 at 6:19 PM, GeeTen said:

What? No fancy Loch & Key single barrel Bourbon for your birthday??? I am shocked!!! ?

Have a good one!

• I like it 1

These were too cheap to pass up. £39.99 for the Nadurra and £37.99 for the 15.

20200605_115045.jpg

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

What? No fancy Loch & Key single barrel Bourbon for your birthday??? I am shocked!!! ?

Have a good one!

I have a tough time getting the Loch & K(e)y folks to celebrate my birthday, let alone Chinese New Year.  But they all seem to like drinking my stash of amber spirits . . . . . . .  ?

20 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I have a tough time getting the Loch & K(e)y folks to celebrate my birthday, let alone Chinese New Year.  But they all seem to like drinking my stash of amber spirits . . . . . . .  ?

Perhaps if you asked SWMBO to stop in and have a chat with them, they'd change their ways ?

• I like it 1

been too long since additional springer entered the bunker...

89BBD7DC-9C4D-4AFB-BFF8-8CA6AE04D183.thumb.jpeg.1134cec19f5bd8d2784be607de66b4b4.jpeg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.