What water of life did you purchase - Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"The store where I bought my Dailuaine 22yr let me know he got another bottle, so I'm having a pour tonight to help me decide if I'm willing to spring for it.

Damn I love this whisky, have a feeling I'm going to cave and buy it. $160 for a quality 22yr cask strength single malt is a steal."

I posted this last Tuesday, and today I caved and bought the bottle. Sigh......

• I like it 5

On 5/7/2020 at 8:36 AM, Marekv8 said:

Still picking up bottles that have been lingering of shelves for years-- nothing new seems to be making its way through.

IMG_4433.thumb.jpg.df1ae72086c53f2bf5776d4fd15af59c.jpg

Scrolling through some of these older posts that I’ve missed, and noticed this Glencadam 21. What did you think of it? I just bought a bottle of the 13yr “Reawakening” and liked it quite a bit. I also have the 15yr, but haven’t been willing to spring for the 21yr given the price...so, is it worth it?

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Scrolling through some of these older posts that I’ve missed, and noticed this Glencadam 21. What did you think of it? I just bought a bottle of the 13yr “Reawakening” and liked it quite a bit. I also have the 15yr, but haven’t been willing to spring for the 21yr given the price...so, is it worth it?

Glencadam 21 is one of the finest single malts I've had. Here it's priced reasonably (under £100 usually), 46%, natural colour, ncf, and it's a honeyed sherried bottle of loveliness. Hugely underrated I think. 

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Sorry Jeff-- it's still sealed. I'm waiting for a bottle of Glencadam 10 yo to arrive from Connecticut to get a feel for the distillery character prior to sampling. Given Beasled's glowing review- sounds like a treat; although Stateside pricing is not as reasonable (although finding a pre-tariff bottle should pose no problem).

• I like it 1

Even the standard release of the annual Ardbeg bottle seemed tougher to track down this year…

IMG_4624.thumb.jpg.ac4c8b2d0920bafed89158aa683ef090.jpg

I picked up something different for me today. Never heard of it, but it looks interesting. 
2477F5D1-47E2-46DE-8CF2-890E35C2A83B.thumb.jpeg.20ee64012584832975faa6c22d972b66.jpeg

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I picked up something different for me today. Never heard of it, but it looks interesting. 
2477F5D1-47E2-46DE-8CF2-890E35C2A83B.thumb.jpeg.20ee64012584832975faa6c22d972b66.jpeg

I would have picked that up as well— it has “right” written all over it. 

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Cask strength, natural colour, 13yrs.....looks like a good one!

A bunch of crusty (some more than others) NAS blends to test against their modern counterparts-- other than the King Edward I. It's going to take some work to place ages on these.

IMG_4630.thumb.jpg.e6713bb471a3ac5f5bfd47ca72ea40fd.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, LCWoody said:

Certainly checks a lot of boxes for me! But these days I would likely factor in cost as well. No indication of source? The usual suspect is Cooley of course but Bushmills occasionally lets some stuff sneak out onto the market. Not sure Middleton even makes single malt these days and nothing else in the plethora of recently opened distilleries has anything old enough to qualify!

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Certainly checks a lot of boxes for me! But these days I would likely factor in cost as well. No indication of source? The usual suspect is Cooley of course but Bushmills occasionally lets some stuff sneak out onto the market. Not sure Middleton even makes single malt these days and nothing else in the plethora of recently opened distilleries has anything old enough to qualify!

Its really good, it was $100, so not bad. 

So the itch finally wore me down on Saturday.  I've been to the liquor store a fair amount during COVID season picking up wines, hard seltzer, and cocktail components.  But on the whisk(e)y side,  I haven't found much in a price range that I was comfortable with.  Well, a lone bottle of 20 year old cask strength Dimensions bottled Highland Park just wouldn't stay on the shelf.  

• I like it 1

One of the rare one times that I was able to sample prior to purchase… but getting it here required a rather complex curbside pick-up.

IMG_4644.thumb.jpg.3b2996c4ff8b583b9a0d8c72daabf903.jpg

• I like it 2

Marked down in the basement... a long way from home....

image.jpeg.9a79143db571253036a0cd250d0f3293.jpeg

• I like it 1

I think we need to have a separate thread titled "What Did Marekv8 Buy Today" :P  You find many truly amazing bottles!!

• I like it 3

On 6/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, LCWoody said:

Its really good, it was $100, so not bad. 

That seems like a pretty reasonable price for the current times. My other question is if that is truly a single cask then how big was the freaking barrel they aged it in? 675 bottles is over 130 gallons and that’s if is coming from a full barrel. I expect some serious reracking was going on in the course of the history of this whiskey!

But if it’s good then it doesn’t matter that much I suppose. It just that little mysteries like that get my attention. I suppose it’s because I don’t have much else to do!

Then again I was like that long before the pandemic started...

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That seems like a pretty reasonable price for the current times. My other question is if that is truly a single cask then how big was the freaking barrel they aged it in? 675 bottles is over 130 gallons and that’s if is coming from a full barrel. I expect some serious reracking was going on in the course of the history of this whiskey!

But if it’s good then it doesn’t matter that much I suppose. It just that little mysteries like that get my attention. I suppose it’s because I don’t have much else to do!

Then again I was like that long before the pandemic started...

I was wondering the same thing about “single cask”. That is a lot. Although, I have set in on “barrel” picks of Tequila that yield over 500 bottles. Who knows.... 

I did find this, but still not making sense, especially after 13 years. 
3E21D008-430A-4781-B339-23658BD023F2.thumb.jpeg.d42ee13c4b56eb4739941c1aa6f82883.jpeg

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I think we need to have a separate thread titled "What Did Marekv8 Buy Today" :P  You find many truly amazing bottles!!

Thanks-- the invitation is still open for you to sample them all.

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This will happen.

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

This will happen.

Lord help us. ?

Biba! Joe

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Lord help us. ?

Biba! Joe

LOL! I'll be Ubering whenever this happens since it's likely to not be pretty. Marekv8 just has far too much to try!

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

1 hour ago, flahute said:

LOL! I'll be Ubering whenever this happens since it's likely to not be pretty. Marekv8 just has far too much to try!

The hell with Uber, I'm bringing a cot  :D

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The hell with Uber, I'm bringing a cot  :D

Want to borrow our van Gary? ^_^

Bib! Joe

On 6/24/2020 at 10:07 AM, Marekv8 said:

You know, I was thinking Louisiana is lovely in the fall! Maybe we should do a new location for the SB.com get together in September now that the festival has moved to October...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.