What Dram Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Thanks same to you and yours, my grandmother who is in her 90's tested positive nearly two weeks ago and is still holding up despite a rough patch earlier this week. Hoping for the best for everyone. 

Stay strong! 

• I like it 1

An 11yr Ballechin cask strength aged in a Manzanilla Sherry cask in the glass tonight. Not the biggest fan of sherry cask whiskies but this one is pretty darn good.

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

An 11yr Ballechin cask strength aged in a Manzanilla Sherry cask in the glass tonight. Not the biggest fan of sherry cask whiskies but this one is pretty darn good.

Manzanilla is so not like what most people expect when they think of sherry that it can be surprisingly good as a finishing cask.

• I like it 1

Thank goodness. An ex-bourbon indie Bowmore from a real bar, what a great segue into the new normal. The bartender was just as thrilled as I was.

IMG_4464.thumb.jpg.a2b83507e09f525ef1bca5d50efbeb3e.jpg

I opened this bottle about a year ago and thought it was the pretty good but didn’t get the hype, but after letting sit for almost a year, wow!  I’m getting tons or orange and dried cherry notes, it’s really transformed into a great dram, cheers!

QbYXD7o.jpg

• I like it 1

Royal Brackla 11yr cask strength from Signatory. Reminds me of the Harry & David pears my wife just got for Mother's Day, but with a wonderful, lingering whisky finish

• I like it 2

Quire a few changes over the last 35 years or so. I sampled this one against the modern version of Black Label and it's so much fuller, creamer and complex (even with the 40% ABV). The DNA is still there on a very base level, but I'm guessing much of this blend was older that the stated 12 years…

IMG_4493.thumb.jpg.907f1c51994f68b69508e1712135fd2a.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Quire a few changes over the last 35 years or so. I sampled this one against the modern version of Black Label and it's so much fuller, creamer and complex (even with the 40% ABV). The DNA is still there on a very base level, but I'm guessing much of this blend was older that the stated 12 years…

IMG_4493.thumb.jpg.907f1c51994f68b69508e1712135fd2a.jpg

Even old Red Label is about as good as Black Label today. Almost certainly had older (and likely more malt) in the blend.

I had a Red Label purchased sometime between 1960-72 in London. I know nothing more and I never saw the original bottle.

It was a completely different whisky to today's Red label. I won't say better or worse, just different. Very herbal with notes of sweet garlic. Never had that in a Scotch. Interesting, but I didn't think it was worth sipping back then either.

2 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

My current scotch inventory:

fullsizeoutput_2a80.jpeg

That's 100% precision on awesomeness, we can ignore the low recall which'll eventually correct itself. (I've been peer reviewing data science papers all day. I need a drink)

Opened this one up today, and it's wonderful. Very deceptive initially since it's very light in colour for it's age and the nose is also light, but nicely floral and fruity. I'm doubtful it was aged in a first refill cask. However, take a sip, roll it around in your mouth for a bit, and it explodes with flavors and has just the right amount of spice. The finish is nice, but the lingering flavors in your mouth are exceptional, IMHO. Side note: it pairs very well with an Illusione Rothschildes cigar. The last thing I need is another bottle of booze, but I might have to spring for another one of these.

I think Tom Helt, bless his soul, would approve of this bottle. 

Dailuaine.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Opened this one up today, and it's wonderful. Very deceptive initially since it's very light in colour for it's age and the nose is also light, but nicely floral and fruity. I'm doubtful it was aged in a first refill cask. However, take a sip, roll it around in your mouth for a bit, and it explodes with flavors and has just the right amount of spice. The finish is nice, but the lingering flavors in your mouth are exceptional, IMHO. Side note: it pairs very well with an Illusione Rothschildes cigar. The last thing I need is another bottle of booze, but I might have to spring for another one of these.

I think Tom Helt, bless his soul, would approve of this bottle. 

Dailuaine.jpg

That one has “home run” written all over it— especially with the Winebow seal of approval. I’m sure they’ll be gone by the next time I can get up north. 

Rye and Panocha(almond/sunflower seeds brittle)

Cheers from the North!

79F6CF82-5332-46A3-8394-B33D1FC72E27.jpeg

23 hours ago, DRAMachine said:

Rye and Panocha(almond/sunflower seeds brittle)

Cheers from the North!

79F6CF82-5332-46A3-8394-B33D1FC72E27.jpeg

Cheers from here in the Deep South!  Now...tell me more about this panocha...Looks and sounds dang good.  

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Cheers from here in the Deep South!  Now...tell me more about this panocha...Looks and sounds dang good.  

Hi joe! Panocha is just your usual brittle. Nuts in melted cane sugar. In the Philippines, we love to pair Panocha with giñebra san miguel ( our favourite gin)

Gloriously warm day here in the UK. I find myself reaching for some tropical peat.  Cheers! 

20200525_192732.jpg

Moved onto this. The PC10 has definitely dulled this, but admirably so. This is awesome. 

EY5KWkVXsAE5YG8.thumb.jpeg.e64940665b89a22d0207bd60f7e0fd59.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:41 PM, DRAMachine said:

Hi joe! Panocha is just your usual brittle. Nuts in melted cane sugar. In the Philippines, we love to pair Panocha with giñebra san miguel ( our favourite gin)

Well, that don’t look like my momma’s peanut brittle...Sorry, momma, it looks better...  ?.   Thanks, Dram.  ??

Did some bunker maintenance today, stumbled across a Kilkerran 12. Wasnt too impressed with the first bottle I had, found it to be a bit light.

Perfect for a warm evening though. I'm enjoying this. 

20200528_205212.jpg

• I like it 2

Opened a Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira because why not, better than I remember. 

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Did some bunker maintenance today, stumbled across a Kilkerran 12. Wasnt too impressed with the first bottle I had, found it to be a bit light.

Perfect for a warm evening though. I'm enjoying this. 

20200528_205212.jpg

Dave, let it be known that hours later from across the Atlantic Ocean I enjoyed a pour with you in solidarity. Hope everything is good!

y4mXbqtJ36MLctHTbXlsUFuJ0oxMsQhF8XIaf-2P

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.