What Dram Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Dave, let it be known that hours later from across the Atlantic Ocean I enjoyed a pour with you in solidarity. Hope everything is good!

y4mXbqtJ36MLctHTbXlsUFuJ0oxMsQhF8XIaf-2P

Cheers Kevin, great to share a pour with you again! :D Everything good here, hope you and yours are keeping safe too. 

All the best, sir! 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Opened a Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira because why not, better than I remember. 

I really don’t get the shade thrown at this release. I found it to be delicious. Sweet smoke- yum!

• I like it 2

On 5/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, kevinbrink said:

Opened a Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira because why not, better than I remember. 

That was a good one! 2020 is reported to be a blend of whisky fully matured in a combination of ex'bourbon and second fill ruby pot which is then finished in unspecified red wine casks.

Sounds intriguing! 

If I can find it. 

Which is sometimes a challenge.

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

At $60 this is a good time. But did these always come with screw caps?

E42E1D7F-7552-4EF8-8175-28A928B013D1.jpeg

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, Kane said:

At $60 this is a good time. But did these always come with screw caps?

E42E1D7F-7552-4EF8-8175-28A928B013D1.jpeg

Yes, I am pretty sure the did, at least for the last 10 years or so. Although the screw caps are generally much more substantial than the cheap metal ones. I rather like them. No chance of cork failure!

17 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, I am pretty sure the did, at least for the last 10 years or so. Although the screw caps are generally much more substantial than the cheap metal ones. I rather like them. No chance of cork failure!

Oh no complaints there at all. This is my combo breaker after so many disintegrated corks. The whiskey also tastes nothing like I remember, it’s been a very long time since my last bottle. 

Not the most complex malt in the world but every now and then, it's just what's needed. 

20200609_214730.jpg

Rainy night in Georgia has me looking into my dark side offerings.  I’ll pick the Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish to keep me comfy.  

201CB627-6CE4-4018-B0B3-34A3CFF24EF9.jpeg

The store where I bought my Dailuaine 22yr let me know he got another bottle, so I'm having a pour tonight to help me decide if I'm willing to spring for it.

Damn I love this whisky, have a feeling I'm going to cave and buy it. $160 for a quality 22yr cask strength single malt is a steal.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, Vosgar said:

The store where I bought my Dailuaine 22yr let me know he got another bottle, so I'm having a pour tonight to help me decide if I'm willing to spring for it.

Damn I love this whisky, have a feeling I'm going to cave and buy it. $160 for a quality 22yr cask strength single malt is a steal.

Go for it-- you're correct in that it's one hell of a deal.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, Vosgar said:

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Go for it-- you're correct in that it's one hell of a deal.

He needs little or no encouragement M. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

He needs little or no encouragement M. :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

Now that I'm on Social Security, gotta watch these expenditures! (trying like hell to talk myself into believing that)

• I like it 2

I ended up watching many Ralfy reviews because of the quarantine.  I felt this was the perfect time to educate myself about Scotch (the dark side).  I came up with a hunting list.

Today I found one - Old Smuggler blended Scotch.

I almost didn't buy it because it's inexpensive, but I'm glad I did.

I'm still on the lookout for Black & White, Vat 69, and several others.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:31 PM, PaulO said:

If you want proper 750mL or 70cL bottles of these iconic blends, you'll need to dig deep in dustyland or bring them in from the UK. I'm pretty sure that only 1.75L versions make it Stateside, and the VAT 69 is the "Gold" variant.

IMG_4620.thumb.jpg.ac3baaf7b6500d9769decb7810e465f4.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked this up on a recommendation from Liquor Hound-- $52.99 for a age-stated, cask strength single malt whiskey with very well-done primary and secondary cask work. Well done.

IMG_4616.thumb.jpg.914898f83524b65e25c7bb3197d4d776.jpg

HIDE NOTHING. FEAR NOTHING. 

Another 7-year age statement and all sorts of trickbag cask work resulted in a modern Bartle & Jaymes wine cooler. I pulled out a few other wine-finished bottles and it's very close to the Starward in general ready-to-drink cocktail sensibility.

IMG_4617.thumb.jpg.54ba28a7fb3f972cc456d5269d58cfd1.jpg

IMG_4619.thumb.jpg.614f1b94107421462c366b32bb62cb0d.jpg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

If you want proper 750mL or 70cL bottles of these iconic blends, you'll need to dig deep in dustyland or bring them in from the UK. I'm pretty sure that only 1.75L versions make it Stateside, and the VAT 69 is the "Gold" variant.

IMG_4620.thumb.jpg.ac3baaf7b6500d9769decb7810e465f4.jpg

So, how would you rate those Dave?  I have no problem with a 1.75L.

I'm planning to visit a place I know that has had a old inventory in the past.

I think something like these may fly under the radar.

At least I know where I can get more Old Smuggler - and it's a deal on the liter bottle.

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

So, how would you rate those Dave?  I have no problem with a 1.75L.

I'm planning to visit a place I know that has had a old inventory in the past.

I think something like these may fly under the radar.

At least I know where I can get more Old Smuggler - and it's a deal on the liter bottle.

Both very benign-- young and grain forward. For reference, this modern Justerini & Brooks is very similar. I'll try to track down an earlier bottle of each for comparison.

IMG_4613.thumb.jpg.de88c1b4f389f5f75216ab5852227218.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:31 PM, PaulO said:

I ended up watching many Ralfy reviews because of the quarantine.  I felt this was the perfect time to educate myself about Scotch (the dark side).  I came up with a hunting list.

Today I found one - Old Smuggler blended Scotch.

I almost didn't buy it because it's inexpensive, but I'm glad I did.

Ralfy reviews are entertaining.  I used to watch them all the time.

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

Ralfy reviews are entertaining.  I used to watch them all the time.

One thing about Ralfy, he won't make and post a review of anything to say it's bad.

If there is a Ralfy review, he thought the product was at least OK.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Both very benign-- young and grain forward. For reference, this modern Justerini & Brooks is very similar. I'll try to track down an earlier bottle of each for comparison.

IMG_4613.thumb.jpg.de88c1b4f389f5f75216ab5852227218.jpg

This, Vat 69, and JW Red were the norm where I grew up. I blame that trio for my late appreciation of Scotch.

Well, I wasn't able to get away and do a little dusty hunting in Marion Co. - yet.

Never the less, I'm enjoying the Old Smuggler.

Been traveling to The Darkside the last couple of days with some personal favorites that were both bottled in 2015. Yesterday it was a 26yr Signatory Balmenach and tonight it's a 17yr Caol Ila Unpeated. Both are at cask strength and are outstanding ?

I managed to track down a bottle of Black & White.  Dave was correct.  I was only able to find 1.75L size.  The good news is I like it.  I'll give better tasting notes later.  It's very mild, with a sweet and tart citrus note in the after taste.

When I was a child, one of my uncles had the basement with a pool table, bar, and color tv.  Among other things, there was a bottle of this on the bar.  My cousin and I liked the label with "the little dogs".   As an adult I read books.  Hemingway and Ian Fleming name dropped the brand.  I had to eventually try it.

I figured the cork on this super dusty King Edward I was going to blow, which is why I didn't open it at home last night. Another solid vintage blend, rumored to have heavy Macduff (Glen Deveron) componentry.

IMG_4632.thumb.jpg.6f81dcf2e1f6ec800dfe244769729f0d.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.