What Dram Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, my lovely wife gifted me a whiskies of the world advent calendar. I appreciate that she seems to be shifting from tolerating this hobby to supporting it in some small and thoughtful way. Maybe it is my consistent stocking of fresh limes and willingness to making her favorite, Margaritas.

I don't know anything about the company behind this calendar but day 1 does not inspire confidence. The whisky itself, AD Rattray Bank Note 5 yr, is grainy but otherwise inoffensive, but while labeled as an Irish blend the website states Scotland as the region. Hmmm... 

Anyways, after a few sips in the provided Glencairn, it went into an Irish/Scotish/??? variant of a "crotchety old fashioned" with no simple syrup. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

PXL_20201202_042620134.thumb.jpg.7815a56306c1435255da088e410555c5.jpg

IMG_20201202_001333.thumb.jpg.1126d7ade34bdf068f9e119aaa642222.jpg

• I like it 1

Glenlivet 15 in the glass tonight, which seemed cheap at £37.99. I hate to use the word 'smooth' but this is certainly that. Easy drinking, subtle (it is 40%/80 proof). A great after-dinner sipper. 

• I like it 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:16 AM, dad-proof said:

So, my lovely wife gifted me a whiskies of the world advent calendar. I appreciate that she seems to be shifting from tolerating this hobby to supporting it in some small and thoughtful way. Maybe it is my consistent stocking of fresh limes and willingness to making her favorite, Margaritas.

I don't know anything about the company behind this calendar but day 1 does not inspire confidence. The whisky itself, AD Rattray Bank Note 5 yr, is grainy but otherwise inoffensive, but while labeled as an Irish blend the website states Scotland as the region. Hmmm... 

Anyways, after a few sips in the provided Glencairn, it went into an Irish/Scotish/??? variant of a "crotchety old fashioned" with no simple syrup. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

A.D. Rattray is a whisky blending company  based in Scotland but occasionally also blends Irish whiskey as well. That may explain the apparent discrepancy. Or not!

21 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A.D. Rattray is a whisky blending company  based in Scotland but occasionally also blends Irish whiskey as well. That may explain the apparent discrepancy. Or not!

That does explain it, thanks! Google searches showed that A.D. Rattray has both Scotch and Irish blends labeled as Bank Note, but the website's description of both listed the use of Speyside and Highland malts.  Likely a copy/paste error by that retailer, but thanks to you I can at least make sense of a Scottish blender bottling Irish whiskey. Much appreciated.

BTW, currently sipping today's advent calendar selection - a NAS Japanese rice whiskey Kujira Ryukyu. Tasting notes = charred marshmallow dipped in alcohol. Not good but not terrible. Prepping my response to the wife: "Thanks honey, I NEVER would have tried this one otherwise!" ?

I've had a few bottles of Bank Note 5 over the years, it's cheap stuff but decent on the rocks, I thought!

14 hours ago, beasled said:

I've had a few bottles of Bank Note 5 over the years, it's cheap stuff but decent on the rocks, I thought!

Ralfy gave it a fairly positive review - for a reasonably priced blend.  I saw a local store has it $25 for 1L.  I may try it.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

Ralfy gave it a fairly positive review - for a reasonably priced blend.  I saw a local store has it $25 for 1L.  I may try it.

There's also a peated version available in the US (though not here in the UK, boo!)

11 hours ago, beasled said:

There's also a peated version available in the US (though not here in the UK, boo!)

I will keep an eye out for the peated blend. For $30-40 I would be a buyer. At minimum would be a fun SBS with CB's Glasgow Blend.

My advent selection today was enjoyable. Penderyn Rich Oak, a single malt from Wales. Silky texture, delicate but present oak, and a raisin/fig finish. I think this would be a good intro to malt for a bourbon drinker. I would be a buyer of this for $45-55, but not at the $80+ it is going for here in the US.

PXL_20201205_213915035.thumb.jpg.bb7bd2f362c6627fe9eeff3235a2d8d9.jpg

Lighted plastic Christmas figures in my back yard agree with me that Laphroaig 10 yr is damn good! ?

0395EA9F-514C-4133-9B1D-152B306C206A.jpeg

• I like it 4

I had my first pour of Amrut Fusion last night. Well done, enjoyable pour. I could see craving this from time to time. 

7 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I had my first pour of Amrut Fusion last night. Well done, enjoyable pour. I could see craving this from time to time. 

One of my favorite whiskeys.  Costco currently has it at a good price, I saw this week.  
Today, I finally got the last of the Dickens Village up, it snowed down here in Georgia, and while placing the last house, I happened to notice Bishop’s Oast on the Dickens table.  Coincidence that I picked of a Cragganmore 12 yr today, too?. It’s calling to me...  ?

845EB0B4-8A6C-4735-874B-A18DECB9FC89.jpeg

• I like it 4

Out front after NYE dinner with a Padron 3000 and a pour of Glenfiddich 15.  

8E506F43-CB58-4202-88E8-8739BDC55DB4.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.