Sazerac Rye Store Pick

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was honored this past week to be a part of the very first Sazerac rye store pick in our area (Lake Street Liquor). From what I understand there are only four barrels for this side of the state. We got to choose from six different barrels, all of the barrels were from the top floor and all were at least 6 to 8 years old or older.  I have not heard very much about this single barrel program, curious how many other states are doing this.  Also got a hint that this might eventually (4years) turn into a barrel proof store pick program. 

Of the six samples only to taste it like the standard Sazerac rye (baby Saz) that you would buy off the shelf.  The rest were much bolder and in your face.  I was very impressed with how different the other four barrels tasted, but  we could only choose one. 

FA90CF0A-903A-4FB7-8FBC-28980DD64527.thumb.jpeg.deaec1e201f87ee4e713cdd1affc5a97.jpeg

38652B48-0474-4A81-B184-FD77A32248B9.thumb.jpeg.ac829defec9c535ddcc3fb58c2bb0613.jpeg

An interesting sidenote, all the samples came in the plastic old charter bottles. 

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 4

22 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I was honored this past week to be a part of the very first Sazerac rye store pick in our area (Lake Street Liquor). From what I understand there are only four barrels for this side of the state. We got to choose from six different barrels, all of the barrels were from the top floor and all were at least 6 to 8 years old or older.  I have not heard very much about this single barrel program, curious how many other states are doing this.  Also got a hint that this might eventually (4years) turn into a barrel proof store pick program. 

Of the six samples only to taste it like the standard Sazerac rye (baby Saz) that you would buy off the shelf.  The rest were much bolder and in your face.  I was very impressed with how different the other four barrels tasted, but  we could only choose one.

I was treated to a sample of a local market pick for this program on Friday and the LS owner and I agreed that it will be an unbeatable rye value— he doesn't expect the bottles to last more than a day. A complete 360˚ turn from the typically benign blended offering. It takes the “Baby" out of Baby Saz. 

• I like it 2

I talked to a Sazerac guy today and was told that Louisiana is the only state doing this barrel program as of now.  

Imagine that, Louisiana is 1st at something other than cooking...… :o

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I talked to a Sazerac guy today and was told that Louisiana is the only state doing this barrel program as of now.  

Imagine that, Louisiana is 1st at something other than cooking...… :o

I guess it helps that Sazarac's home base is there, eh?

• I like it 3

Very interesting LCWoody,

If I had the ear of the company, I'd pitch a 100 proof non chill filtered version, maybe bottled in bond.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.