What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on a handle of BH today @$79.99.  First time seeing BH in handles. ?

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I passed on a handle of BH today @$79.99.  First time seeing BH in handles. ?

Biba! Joe

Yeah, I saw those over the past weekend myself and don’t recall ever seeing them before either.

I passed on WT101 but not by choice. I can't find it. I don't want to start a "what can't you find due to quarantine hoarding?" thread so this is the next closest thread for this.

2 out of the last 3 times I went looking for WT101 it was sold out. I've read that quarantine hoarding has been skewed towards more dependable and affordable staples in the liquor aisle so that could explain it.

Or, it's the apocalypse. 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I passed on WT101 but not by choice. I can't find it. I don't want to start a "what can't you find due to quarantine hoarding?" thread so this is the next closest thread for this.

2 out of the last 3 times I went looking for WT101 it was sold out. I've read that quarantine hoarding has been skewed towards more dependable and affordable staples in the liquor aisle so that could explain it.

Or, it's the apocalypse. 

I think this is exactly why you always have several handles available before you get to the bunker. :) There's just some brands you simply can't do without, and for my little buds the WT sits on top.

Did a little scouting today in anticipation of purchasing a few bottles this weekend.  I noticed a local store has RY10.  The price is reasonable.  Obviously, there is variability in single barrel offerings.  However, I am curious how consistent the profile is barrel-to-barrel.  

I was having the same thoughts myself. ?

I did a little reconnaissance this morning. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, scoped things out.  I was hoping a delivery of BT would come in but no luck.  I am hoping to pick up a few mid-shelfers and some regular stuff tomorrow.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:55 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Did a little scouting today in anticipation of purchasing a few bottles this weekend.  I noticed a local store has RY10.  The price is reasonable.  Obviously, there is variability in single barrel offerings.  However, I am curious how consistent the profile is barrel-to-barrel.  

From my experience with three bottles, its profile is consistent.  I believe they were all from the same year, however.  Others have reported off bottles, but my experience has been very good with all of them.  One of my favorite accessible bourbons.

• I like it 1

Passed on some over priced under proof 2019 GTS. I talked myself out of the OF 13 and 15 yet bottles. 499 each 

E70A61D4-0964-4623-9877-EDB70A70B074.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 5/21/2020 at 12:03 AM, PaulO said:

I struck out today.  I was hoping for a few mid shelfers and some standard stuff.  My store had no mid shelfers of interest and many of the standard offerings were not available either.  I spoke with the liquor manager who said he had 35 people waiting in line when he got to work this morning at 7 a.m.  I have another store nearby that is less frequented that I will try tomorrow.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, flahute said:

Or, it's the apocalypse. 

I am finding the same thing.  Some stores that typically have large inventories have no Knob Creek or Old Forester.  It's odd.  Plenty of WR and EC.  Fortunately, I can always fall back on WT101 which is plentiful right now.  I was speaking with a liquor manager who told me that they have had a dry spell on KC and OF.  He told me he noticed the shelves at a few competitors were similarly low.  Maybe it is the distributor or maybe Costco bought it all.

• I like it 1

I saw the new KC 9 year in the wild for the first time, and passed.  That's only because KCSB finally made a reappearance. So I went home with some KC after all, and at a deal price. ?

• I like it 3

On 5/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, Not_That_Fancy said:

Passed on some over priced under proof 2019 GTS. I talked myself out of the OF 13 and 15 yet bottles. 499 each 

Gah. I hope it was a short conversation between the two of you.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Gah. I hope it was a short conversation between the two of you.

It’s not necessarily crazy when you talk to yourself.  But when you start answering......... ? ? ?

• I like it 2

On 5/22/2020 at 7:13 PM, Not_That_Fancy said:

E70A61D4-0964-4623-9877-EDB70A70B074.jpeg

Just curiosity, how much did the PHC run?

9 hours ago, parksmart said:

It’s not necessarily crazy when you talk to yourself.  But when you start answering......... ? ? ?

...Or arguing... and losing more arguments than you win... Wel l l l l l l l l      Just don't start actually fighting among yourselves. You could get hurt.

• I like it 3

I walked away from some OGD114 today. It's one of those buy it on a whim type of drink for me but when the price is $30 the whim diminishes quickly. The counter guy said that he was seeing a lot of the value bourbons going quickly because more folks are drinking at home and earlier in the day. That must be the home school teacher crowd.

3 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I walked away from some OGD114 today. It's one of those buy it on a whim type of drink for me but when the price is $30 the whim diminishes quickly. The counter guy said that he was seeing a lot of the value bourbons going quickly because more folks are drinking at home and earlier in the day. That must be the home school teacher crowd.

OGD114 is still $25.99 OTD around here as of yesterday - maybe you need another trip back home soon, my friend.   ?

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

OGD114 is still $25.99 OTD around here as of yesterday - maybe you need another trip back home soon, my friend.   ?

Mrs PG and I are ready to visit our family back there but the Commonwealth doesn't appear to be ready for visitors yet.

The more I look, the more I find when it comes to ECBP.   

Apparently, there is no ECBP A120 or B520 to be found in my area.  However, I have found a couple of stores that have a few B519 and (more then a few) C919 at local msrp.   I already have two of the C919, I may grab another since the first tasting was so good.  Wondering if anyone here thought the B519 was stellar.  Online reviews have been from meh to must buy.

Also, CEHT Single Barrel and Single Barrel BiB at 84,99 otd.  I have never tried any of the CEHT line, but have read mostly good things about CEHT SB, SiB, and Barrel Proof.  Wasn't sure about pricing, so even though I was very intrigued, I walked away.  But not without finding out that they hadn't sold one of the CEHT SiB since the beginning of February 2020.  There were 3 of them there, so I felt like I could walk away and maybe come back at a later tie and not be disappointed.

Trying to go light in June after I saw the damage I did in May... Have stuff coming via mail but that hopefully is it... I would think the only buys would be CEHT 18yr Marriage or WT 17yr BiB so i think its safe to safe i won't be buying anything

I've passed on nearly everything since covid hit the fan. I bought just a single bottle in all of May, our new ECPS.  

The bunker isn't even dented yet. And I've been trying!  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.