What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

The more I look, the more I find when it comes to ECBP.   

Apparently, there is no ECBP A120 or B520 to be found in my area.  However, I have found a couple of stores that have a few B519 and (more then a few) C919 at local msrp.   I already have two of the C919, I may grab another since the first tasting was so good.  Wondering if anyone here thought the B519 was stellar.  Online reviews have been from meh to must buy.

Also, CEHT Single Barrel and Single Barrel BiB at 84,99 otd.  I have never tried any of the CEHT line, but have read mostly good things about CEHT SB, SiB, and Barrel Proof.  Wasn't sure about pricing, so even though I was very intrigued, I walked away.  But not without finding out that they hadn't sold one of the CEHT SiB since the beginning of February 2020.  There were 3 of them there, so I felt like I could walk away and maybe come back at a later tie and not be disappointed.

EH Taylor single barrel is a $59.99 MSRP bottle. Some love it here, some prefer the small batch. I certainly would not pay $85 for it personally

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

EH Taylor single barrel is a $59.99 MSRP bottle.

Good luck EVER finding it for that.  I've personally never seen it locally below $79.99. 

42 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Good luck EVER finding it for that.  I've personally never seen it locally below $79.99. 

The variations of distribution and pricing state to state or region to region are significant. For whatever reason, EHT seems to be pretty regularly available here. I can usually find the small batch for $40 or less. The single barrel isn’t always around but it’s usually at or close to $60 when I see it. The rye is often available right around $65. 

I definitely understand that it isn’t as commonly available in other markets, or the pricing is worse. To me personally, I’m not a buyer at $85 but I certainly understand if others are fine with that price. 

• I like it 1

Thanks guys, I felt it was a bit much at $85 as well.  Especially when I can spend $65 on a ECBP C919 and fortify the bunker.   But the pull of the sirens regarding a new (to me) bottle of a "legendary" brand was almost too much.  Will look for a SmB at a reduced price and taste what all the fuss is about then.  Also decided to not to buy a bottle of the ECBP B519 as well.  Will keep searching for the next holy grail.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, BottledInBond said:

EH Taylor single barrel is a $59.99 MSRP bottle. Some love it here, some prefer the small batch. I certainly would not pay $85 for it personally

On 6/2/2020 at 5:16 PM, Clueby said:

Good god man. $80 for the SINGLE barrel?!?  Are you sure you didn't mean Barrel Proof?  I get the SiB for $56ish... but granted now it's very hard to find and has the dreaded "allocated" tag now (sham). 

(Note to other people out there, please do us all a favor and never pay ridiculous upcharge prices to these Tater Retail stores. Just pass.)

• I like it 2

On 6/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, Richdel said:

But the pull of the sirens regarding a new (to me) bottle of a "legendary" brand was almost too much.  Will look for a SmB at a reduced price and taste what all the fuss is about then.  Also decided to not to buy a bottle of the ECBP B519 as well.  Will keep searching for the next holy grail.

CEHT is not actually a "legendary" brand.  I'm certainly no bourbon historian but I believe Sazerac/Buffalo Trace created the brand out of thin air around 2011 or thereabouts (site experts feel free to chime in here).  The Colonel EH Taylor brand capitalized off the historic "Old Taylor" brand name.  I certainly enjoy CEHT whiskies as much as the next guy, but if I'm not wrong, the brand itself is pure contemporary BT marketing hype. 

On 6/2/2020 at 3:33 PM, Guss West said:

The bunker isn't even dented yet. And I've been trying!  

Yeah, no kidding!

You’d think for all the empties I’ve been generating there would be some kind of visible dent.
(*sigh*)

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Good god man. $80 for the SINGLE barrel?!?  Are you sure you didn't mean Barrel Proof?  I get the SiB for $56ish... but granted now it's very hard to find and has the dreaded "allocated" tag now (sham). 

(Note to other people out there, please do us all a favor and never pay ridiculous upcharge prices to these Tater Retail stores. Just pass.)

No, I'm talking about the Single Barrel. I haven't personally paid that much but is VERY RARELY seen locally. I've been able to get it a few times in other markets in the $50s. The Small Batch runs about $50 here locally as well, which I also won't pay. I can very occasionally find it around $40.  As for EHTBP...forget it. I have never, ever, ever seen a bottle in a store in Missouri at any price. When I do see it across the river in Illinois its usually $125 to $150.  The rye is $75 to $90.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

CEHT is not actually a "legendary" brand.  I'm certainly no bourbon historian but I believe Sazerac/Buffalo Trace created the brand out of thin air around 2011 or thereabouts (site experts feel free to chime in here).  The Colonel EH Taylor brand capitalized off the historic "Old Taylor" brand name.  I certainly enjoy CEHT whiskies as much as the next guy, but if I'm not wrong, the brand itself is pure contemporary BT marketing hype. 

I guess I transposed the historical person CEHT with the bourbon, and figured they both were historic.  Thanks for sharing.

I get that it is a newer brand (not sure I realized it was that recent) but its still really good juice by my pallet.  I do like all of them, with the BP and rye being my favorites.   The single barrel like any single barrel product van be inconsistent, but still ranging from good to great.   I do respect that BT has held the line on CEHT pricing.   This is perceived as a premium brand, but it's MSRP does not reflect that.  

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I believe 2011 is correct for when BT created the Colonel EH Taylor line as we know it today. They purchased the original Old Taylor brand in 2009. 

35 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I believe 2011 is correct for when BT created the Colonel EH Taylor line as we know it today. They purchased the original Old Taylor brand in 2009. 

True, but Old Taylor does go back aways. 

Biba! Joe

P1040761.jpeg

Last week, when I was on the road, I passed on Saffel and Bond & Lillard.  Both were $45 a 375ml.  I know some will say the Saffel is so good, and they would have bought it.  When I do the math, and the out the door price is $100 a 750ml, I can't do it.  

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Last week, when I was on the road, I passed on Saffel and Bond & Lillard.  Both were $45 a 375ml.  I know some will say the Saffel is so good, and they would have bought it.  When I do the math, and the out the door price is $100 a 750ml, I can't do it.  

I dont blame you... Bought 1 for myself and it was good but not 100 for 750ml good.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

P1040761.jpeg

Indeed it does. And Colonel Taylor himself certainly is an important person in the history of American whiskey, including his role with getting the BIB act passed. 

By the way, thank god someone saved the castle before it was too late. I still need to get there for a tour

35 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Indeed it does. And Colonel Taylor himself certainly is an important person in the history of American whiskey, including his role with getting the BIB act passed. 

By the way, thank god someone saved the castle before it was too late. I still need to get there for a tour

Indeed you do!   The place has been under a systematic restoration/salvage effort for a few years now, as well as distilling juice of their own (also some contract distilling) for a while.   

It is absolutely a "must see" for Bourbon Geeks.   Get thee hence forthwith!    (...After you find out when the corona-virus-shutdown ends and their tours begin again.)

37 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Indeed you do!   The place has been under a systematic restoration/salvage effort for a few years now, as well as distilling juice of their own (also some contract distilling) for a while.   

It is absolutely a "must see" for Bourbon Geeks.   Get thee hence forthwith!    (...After you find out when the corona-virus-shutdown ends and their tours begin again.)

Yeah it’s been on the top of my list. It’s a little sad that I’m going to be on a road trip this weekend that would normally allow me to stop at a few distilleries. They can start re-opening on Monday per the state. Sounds like some are and others are waiting longer. I’ll be heading back through on Monday/Tuesday but unfortunately I’m going to have a new puppy with me (purpose of the trip to pick this guy up) so I won’t be able to go in anywhere since I can’t leave the pup in the car that long either. Oh well, I’ll get there soon enough 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Yes you do. This place has quickly become one of my favorite tours. As of now you get some great cocktails at the end. Here's hoping the forthcoming whiskey lives up to the rest of the experience.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, Richdel said:

The more I look, the more I find when it comes to ECBP.   

Apparently, there is no ECBP A120 or B520 to be found in my area.  However, I have found a couple of stores that have a few B519 and (more then a few) C919 at local msrp.   I already have two of the C919, I may grab another since the first tasting was so good.  Wondering if anyone here thought the B519 was stellar.  Online reviews have been from meh to must buy.

Also, CEHT Single Barrel and Single Barrel BiB at 84,99 otd.  I have never tried any of the CEHT line, but have read mostly good things about CEHT SB, SiB, and Barrel Proof.  Wasn't sure about pricing, so even though I was very intrigued, I walked away.  But not without finding out that they hadn't sold one of the CEHT SiB since the beginning of February 2020.  There were 3 of them there, so I felt like I could walk away and maybe come back at a later tie and not be disappointed.

I've passed on the ECBP A120 so far. I have seen it in 2 stores at $90. I have been buying the releases for $70 for the past year. I liked the B519, I thought with the lower proof I could get more of the nuanced flavors than with the higher proof C919 initially. I like them both, but I had to use ice and a little water to appreciate them. Part of the process for me. 

CEHT SiB is really hard to find. I have bought one bottle in the past year, $65 at Total Wine in SW Florida. That was an accident, they thought they handed me a SmB.

I like the SiB alot. For me, the hunt is trying to find these bottles somewhere around MSRP, whatever that is today.

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

P1040761.jpeg

If I may Joe, it's time for a slightly updated pic or 2:

465412518_CK11-21-1820181121_173613.thumb.jpg.c8179ec8d139f525c5ca624c6d1119e0.jpg922972134_CK20181121_151830.thumb.jpg.fa7bc1e0dfd7f65e9be6d4744cb305ad.jpg

And to keep on topic, I passed on 1792 BIB at $50 - have had no problem finding it in the $35-45 range (when released), and have bunkered a few accordingly.

Edited by PowderKeg
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

If I may Joe, it's time for a slightly updated pic or 2

I tried PK, but evidently when I transferred everything from my old computer to my new one, a few files were lost. ^_^

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I tried PK, but evidently when I transferred everything from my old computer to my new one, a few files were lost. ^_^

Biba! Joe

I'd wager a few of your files were lost before the computer was even involved... ?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

9 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I'd wager a few of your files were lost before the computer was even involved... ?

Here, hold this for me.?      ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Found 'em, and transferred 'em! (Pain in the ass.) These were from 2017 when C&K allowed us to be the first group other than customers or potential customers to tour their facility. Brian/mosugoji64 set this up for us.

Biba! Joe

P1110605.jpeg

P1110610.jpeg

P1110571.jpeg

P1110576.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 6/5/2020 at 8:09 AM, geclbxf said:

I get that it is a newer brand (not sure I realized it was that recent) but its still really good juice by my pallet.  I do like all of them, with the BP and rye being my favorites.   The single barrel like any single barrel product van be inconsistent, but still ranging from good to great.   I do respect that BT has held the line on CEHT pricing.   This is perceived as a premium brand, but it's MSRP does not reflect that.  

I'm actually a big fan of them too. They are quality whiskies which in the end is what matters the most.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.