Sweetens Cove

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oh good, Peyton Manning has a new whiskey brand. $200 for what I’m assuming is Dickel juice? Not sure where else they’d get 13 year old TN bourbon. Sounds like a hard pass to me unless proven otherwise somehow. My apologies if this has already been discussed in another thread, as I certainly may have missed it 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peyton-manning-bourbon-legit-t-100000210.html

While I won't be a buyer at that price, I have to give Manning kudos for giving all the credit to Marianne Eaves for her work in doing the blending. Plus, he's not claiming to be some big time whiskey fan and coming up with a ridiculous story about a family history with some long lost distillery. He even admits to not being a expert and is a beer drinker. What a shot of honesty!

• I like it 2

Sweetens Cove?  Didn’t that star Jenna Jameson?  ?

• I like it 9

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

No. You’re thinking of Sweeten’s Cave.

Oh sorry, I meant to say I don’t think so. ?

Bib! Joe

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

While I won't be a buyer at that price, I have to give Manning kudos for giving all the credit to Marianne Eaves for her work in doing the blending. Plus, he's not claiming to be some big time whiskey fan and coming up with a ridiculous story about a family history with some long lost distillery. He even admits to not being a expert and is a beer drinker. What a shot of honesty!

Those are valid points. I just don’t see how the pricing can be justified. But, there are plenty of people who think more expensive = better, or they buy just to collect it on a shelf and never actually drink it, or whatever. I guess it doesn’t affect me how others spend their $

I actually enjoyed the interview and love the story about that golf course. I won't be buying a bottle however.

• I like it 1

My guess is the whiskey came from "Omaha, Omaha Omaha!"  The source was originally Tennessee but he called an audible.

• I like it 5

$35 for 13 year Dickel BiB or $200 for 13 year old distilled at Dickel?  An interesting take is this was distilled in TN, but aged in KY and then bottled in TN.  It does NOT meet TN law to be called a TN Whiskey, but TN law never mentions bourbon, so they call this a TN Bourbon.   My thought is if you want to put a state of designation on the bottle, it needs to be mashed, fermented, distilled and aged all in 1 state.

• I like it 5

• 1 month later...

You aint gonna get $200 unless you ask $200 right? Wouldnt be surprised to see these sit there forever like peerless and fourgate...and then eventually coming down quite a bit. But who knows, people seem to be paying up for the bardstown stuff. 
Probably wouldve been smarter to price at $70-$90.

• 2 weeks later...

For that price, when the bottle is half empty, Janet Jackson should show up at your door and have a wardrobe malfunction.

• I like it 4

On 8/2/2020 at 2:29 PM, The Black Tot said:

For that price, when the bottle is half empty, Janet Jackson should show up at your door and have a wardrobe malfunction.

Given that nowadays Janet is considerably more “mature” than the bourbon in that bottle it would take a lot more than than that to make it worth $200! ?

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Given that nowadays Janet is considerably more “mature” than the bourbon in that bottle it would take a lot more than than that to make it worth $200! ?

She's probably closer to a Bardstown Bourbon age statement-- with multiple components of various ages in the mix.

• I like it 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:05 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I did say you drink half the bottle first, right...?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I at least missed any inference that it should be in a single sitting, though it’s quite obvious now.

4 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

I at least missed any inference that it should be in a single sitting, though it’s quite obvious now.

Did you miss that by accident or on purpose?  ?

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Not sure that would help! Even drinking half the bottle in a single setting I would still be annoyed at the cost of the bottle...

?

• I like it 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, The Black Tot said:

I think you’ve been at sea too long again Paul! ?

On 8/7/2020 at 4:14 AM, lcpfratn said:

I think you’ve been at sea too long again Paul! ?

This time it is that I've been on LAND too long...

• I like it 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:57 AM, Mako254 said:

Got sent a sample. Tastes like Dickel. 

Well, of course it tastes like Dickel, but if you are a Dickel fan, is it some of the best Dickel you’ve ever tried? I’m a Dickel fan, and will soon have an opportunity to buy a bottle if I want one...just not sure that I can justify the purchase since it is clearly overpriced.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

....it is clearly overpriced.

Keep that part in mind, and don't let that 'desire to find out if it's stellar' cloud your common sense.    Just go buy some reasonably priced Dickel, if Dickel is yer cup o' tea... so to speak.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, of course it tastes like Dickel, but if you are a Dickel fan, is it some of the best Dickel you’ve ever tried? I’m a Dickel fan, and will soon have an opportunity to buy a bottle if I want one...just not sure that I can justify the purchase since it is clearly overpriced.

I would not call myself a Dickel fan though I did enjoy a single barrel pick some years back. Having tasted some of the ‘better sourced Dickel’ the sweetens cove didn’t stand out one way or the other. 
If cost is a concern, I would pass. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, smokinjoe said:

On 8/8/2020 at 8:57 AM, Mako254 said:

...Tastes like Dickel. 

I remember that line from the movie...?

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I would not call myself a Dickel fan though I did enjoy a single barrel pick some years back. Having tasted some of the ‘better sourced Dickel’ the sweetens cove didn’t stand out one way or the other. 
If cost is a concern, I would pass. 

I’ve had bottles from many great Dickel single barrels as well as many good Dickel sourced brands. I suspected that this was no better than many of them, so I’ll probably be passing on this. The cost isn’t necessarily a concern, but I usually want to get comfortable that the asking price is somewhat justified before making a purchase, and I haven’t been able to get comfortable with the price...and likely won’t purchase for that reason. 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I remember that line from the movie...?

Wait, I dont know what you are talking about. Pretend I didnt put a thumbs up on that.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.