Brown Forman sells three brands......

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw in a different story that Sazerac is getting existing aging stocks along with the brand so it theoretically shouldn't change profile in the near term unless BT distillate gets blended in.

Long term, I'm seeing a lot of skepticism in that this will become yet another allocated product from BT. It will also be interesting to see if they hold the price point or try to make it a premium product like EH Taylor.

• I like it 2

I just saw a youtube video from Mr. Ascot himself talking about this.  Not sure what it will mean down the road with regards to the value/quality of the ET BiB, but if you are a fan of it you may want to add some to your bunker. I just wish it was available in my area.

Uhhhh, not being snarky, but I already posted about this in the Industry News Forum.

Joe

Hmmmmm.   Early Times whiskey has not been a brand I spent a single thought about in a long time.   Early Times Bourbon, and especially the recent Early Times BIB, however are two that carry that branding that have been in my thoughts.   ...Especially ET BIB!   That Bourbon was (for my own taste buddies anyway) the best reasonably priced Bourbon to be introduced in years.     I certainly hope SAZ shows the kind of thoughtful shepherding and development they have in other cases, and continues to hold up the quality (and keeps the profile close, if they're able), as well as keep the price at the current reasonable level for ET BIB.   I guess we'll know for sure in about 5-years (if not sooner), eh?

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Uhhhh, not being snarky, but I already posted about this in the Industry News Forum.

Joe

Yeah, but this post has Mr. Ascot (minus the ascot this time). Fred does a nice job on his short "Hot Take".

42 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

(and keeps the profile close, if they're able), 

I don't see how they can unless they bring the yeast over which won't happen because it's the yeast BF uses for their other products. Early Times has the distinctive BF DNA that you taste in Old Forester and Woodford. I can't think of a single BT product that comes close to that profile.

• I like it 3

Grabbed a ET BiB today but may get the other 5 for $22per  that the store has... I really love it and don't feel guilty about finishing them fast at that price. 

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

I don't see how they can unless they bring the yeast over which won't happen because it's the yeast BF uses for their other products. Early Times has the distinctive BF DNA that you taste in Old Forester and Woodford. I can't think of a single BT product that comes close to that profile.

Maybe not BT distillate, but particularly with the estery  banana note, they might look to Barton distillate as a source.  

• I like it 1

Okay, in case there's any confusion, I merged the two threads.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Maybe not BT distillate, but particularly with the estery  banana note, they might look to Barton distillate as a source.  

That’s a really good point. Barton distillate would get them closer than BT for sure.

My reaction ? 

As long as there is the B.I.B. designation, there won't be any blending of different distilleries product.  At some point the label will change DSP #.

I see four possible scenarios for ET BIB.

It gets discontinued.

It becomes BT mash bill #1.

It becomes VOB with a different label.

BT tries to keep up the quality and distinctness.  Bottle gets a cork and moves into manager's office $$$.

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

My reaction ? 

As long as there is the B.I.B. designation, there won't be any blending of different distilleries product.  At some point the label will change DSP #.

I see four possible scenarios for ET BIB.

It gets discontinued.

It becomes BT mash bill #1.

It becomes VOB with a different label.

BT tries to keep up the quality and distinctness.  Bottle gets a cork and moves into manager's office $$$.

More excellent points! I am really off my game today.

I suppose we'll have to see if they stick by the BIB designation.

I see a blend of options 3 and 4 playing out here.

22 minutes ago, flahute said:

More excellent points! I am really off my game today.

I suppose we'll have to see if they stick by the BIB designation.

I see a blend of options 3 and 4 playing out here.

Does this mean BT has finally caught up with demand for its own brands?  I haven’t noticed them staying on the shelves.  Some of the Barton Distillery brands are, but BT products still seem spotty on availability.

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Does this mean BT has finally caught up with demand for its own brands?  I haven’t noticed them staying on the shelves.  Some of the Barton Distillery brands are, but BT products still seem spotty on availability.

BT has definitely not caught up with demand. Smokinjoe's comment about Barton above seems like the most plausible route. They have capacity. Barton distillate has been going into Bulleit and we know their barrels go into the bulk whiskey market. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmmm.   Early Times whiskey has not been a brand I spent a single thought about in a long time.   Early Times Bourbon, and especially the recent Early Times BIB, however are two that carry that branding that have been in my thoughts.   ...Especially ET BIB!   That Bourbon was (for my own taste buddies anyway) the best reasonably priced Bourbon to be introduced in years.     I certainly hope SAZ shows the kind of thoughtful shepherding and development they have in other cases, and continues to hold up the quality (and keeps the profile close, if they're able), as well as keep the price at the current reasonable level for ET BIB.   I guess we'll know for sure in about 5-years (if not sooner), eh?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.  I expect the BIB won't continue at the current price point as Saz - and as it won't taste the same (maybe close), not sure it would matter.  The two most exciting new releases in the last few years for me were this and OF Rye.  While not in danger of running out of bourbon, I'm stocking up on this while I can.  Worst case I'll have a bunch of 1 L bottles of pretty damn good bourbon for $25 a throw to compare to the new stuff in the future.

• I like it 3

And the stocking begins!  Checked on-line at a few stores last night, and inventory was already running low.  Didn't clear the shelf at this store either (leaving that many behind).

Cue Saz announcement that they'll be moving inventory with a 'clearance sale' on all ET BIB at a lower price . . . because karma :lol: 

IMG_20200616_123333.thumb.jpg.bacedf6c12e8511ed91f5de658fe5600.jpg

• I like it 2

On 6/15/2020 at 9:57 PM, flahute said:

BT has definitely not caught up with demand. Smokinjoe's comment about Barton above seems like the most plausible route. They have capacity. Barton distillate has been going into Bulleit and we know their barrels go into the bulk whiskey market. 

THX.  That is my guess,  but I don't have any hard info.  I sure hope that, if this is where ETimes will come from, 1792 FP doesn't suffer as it is my fave of the 1792 line.

It doesn't make much sense for Sazerac to add another BT #1 product when they can't meet demand for their distillery's own namesake product (at least in this state anyway). And they have the upcoming new Benchmark expressions as well. My immediate thought, like many here, was that this is going to be distilled at Barton moving forward. It certainly seems more likely that Barton would add a new mash bill and production specs to their work than BT (assuming Sazerac intends to keep these - obviously they could just ditch them).

I really wonder about the BiB designation staying, given the required disclosures. But I also wonder if Sazerac is going to keep the regular Early Times. I would imagine they will, at least for a while, but long term? Not sure, as they seem intent on going to all premium offerings. I wouldn't think used barrels would be in short supply, but are there are any other issues that could arise in producing Early Times Kentucky whiskey? If nothing else, it is good to see a historic brand go to a company that treats its brands well. If only Mark Brown had the hookup with Beam Suntory and could take Old Crow off their hands!

I am not yet convinced BT “can’t” meet demand so much as they don’t particularly want to.

It is possible I suppose but with every year that ticks by it seems less plausible.

• I like it 5

I didn't think it possible to be less enthusiastic about this move than I was when I first heard it, then I read through this whole thread....yup, I am even less enthused now. Good on ya Gary T. stock up while you can. While Barton would be my personal choice over BT, at the end of the day I just wish they left it alone. God bless the bunkers!!

• I like it 3

Three year old Barton distillate partially aged in used barrels and bottled at 100 proof  sounds tasty  and cheap as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.