Quick Poll: Favorite $25 Bourbon

BrokeCal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I'm up way too late tonight and I started thinking what everyone's favorite 'generally available' $25 750ml bottle of bourbon is. I know some of these might be priced +/- $5 depending on store and region but these are the ones in my region that are in this ballpark so I'm sticking with these options.

1) Buffalo Trace

2) Knob Creek 

3) WT101

4) 1792 Small Batch

5) Elijah Craig

6) Bulliet

7) Makers Mark

8)) Woodford Reserve

9) OGD BIB

10) Evan Williams SB

11) Old Forester 100

I don't typically drink any of these as my daily drinker is EW BIB and my other bottles are all above this range in price, ie. 1792 FP, OF 1920, MMCS, ECBP, etc etc. So I was just wondering if I'm missing out on some kind of consensus daily that I should upgrade too.

Since you already like EW BIB, I suggest JW Dant and JTS Brown.  Another value brand to check out is Very Old (not really so old) Barton 100. 

You mention OGD BIB.  How about OGD 114.

Not Bourbon, but OF Rye gets a lot of love.  It's like the OF Bourbon house style cranked up to 11.

• I like it 1

Hmmmm.     Only  few of the ones you've listed are sold at or below that $25 cut-off level around here.     ?

There are several decent Bourbons available below or 'about' that price range, though; so, I'm not complaining.    ?

Of those that are within this range, I'd name WT 1012 & Early Times BIB (for at least a little while longer, I hope....).

• I like it 1

Number 11 for me.  Old Forester holds a special place in my heart as my "official" entrance to Bourbon and OFSig/100 was my intro to an affordable handle that was just a little deeper.

Unfortunately, in my area your poll is based on a false premise, as many of those are closer to $35 I believe in my location.  As for preference of the options you listed, regardless of price, would be Knob Creek, WT101, and BT.  That's not necessarily in order though, as Knob Creek is quite a bit more expensive by volume in my area.   Is the "Evan Williams SB" a reference to the single barrel?  If so, that's up there as well.  I think overall the best quality:value buys for me are WT101 and Evan Williams single barrel. 

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Unfortunately, in my area your poll is based on a false premise, as many of those are closer to $35 I believe in my location.  As for preference of the options you listed, regardless of price, would be Knob Creek, WT101, and BT.  That's not necessarily in order though, as Knob Creek is quite a bit more expensive by volume in my area.   Is the "Evan Williams SB" a reference to the single barrel?  If so, that's up there as well.  I think overall the best quality:value buys for me are WT101 and Evan Williams single barrel. 

Regions vary widely.  Why Bozeman has a significantly higher average price compared to Los Angeles, one of the most expensive places to live in the country, doesn't make much sense to me but there you have it.  That fact is of those 11 I listed 10 are $20-23, only WR is $26 or $27 Most of the time. 

• I like it 1

I'll have to try OF100.  

Most of those other recommendations aren't available here, such as Dant and JTS Brown.

Edited by BrokeCal

My favorites, in no particular order:

1) WT 101

2) OGD Bib/114

3) EARLY TIMES BiB (while supplies last)

4) Various HH BiB Evan Williams, JW Dant...

5) Rittenhouse rye

6) Old Forester rye

7) 4R Yellow label (I refuse to call that rose by any other name)

2 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

Regions vary widely.  Why Bozeman has a significantly higher average price compared to Los Angeles, one of the most expensive places to live in the country, doesn't make much sense to me but there you have it.  That fact is of those 11 I listed 10 are $20-23, only WR is $26 or $27 Most of the time. 

There is something of a caveat, I suppose.  We don't pay tax of any kind on top of the shelf-price, so when I say KC is about $35, that's out the door.  I don't really understand or know much about the distribution system, but I suppose there is some tax built in elsewhere along the journey into the state.   

Edited by BigSkyDrams
fixed syntax error

If I could buy it here it would ETBIB.  In my market I will stick with WT101 around $20 or BT at between $20 and $25. BT occasionally disappears from shelves for a couple weeks but then is right back cases deep.  If I venture across the river I always try and pick up a VOB100 or JTSBIB in the $15 range. If I make it to KY its HH6/90.  I do pay tax on liquor in MO or in ILL.

So many on this list that I enjoy, but I can't drink current WT 101 and ET BIB (especially with a bit of ice) without feeling an extra layer of enjoyment simply due to value. 

• I like it 5

All before taxes and all 750s -- Diligent searching around the WashDC Metro area will turn up the occasional BT barely under $25 WHEN it shows up; closer to $30 is more likely.  KC has a wide range although I can find it for about $23 (up from $21 before the age statement drop) at a favorite store while others routinely feature it "on sale" for $29.  WT 101, OGD BIB, and OF 100/OF100Rye are also between $21-25 depending.  The rest?  Usually over $25, and some are rarely below $30.

Virgin 101 7YR is still under $20 most places as is EW BIB.  JB BIB when you can find it is about $22.  OGD 114 has moved above $25 for good, I suppose.  OTOH, my bunker, which my wife used to yell at me about, sort of, now gets praise from her when I show her current prices on my stash.

• I like it 2

Virgin 101 seems like another great value pour, unfortunately it's unobtanium out here, as is ET BiB.

Bourbon is still the best value there is - look at the number of good pours for thirty bucks or less!    

For me,  the best of the best are the Old Forester 100,  Wild Turkey 101 and the 1792.     I'd ignored the Barton's juice for years,  and that was my loss.    The bar currently has an open 1792 BIB (Canal's store pick),  and it's been the fastest-evaporating bottle on the shelf.   

9 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Bourbon is still the best value there is - look at the number of good pours for thirty bucks or less!    

For me,  the best of the best are the Old Forester 100,  Wild Turkey 101 and the 1792.     I'd ignored the Barton's juice for years,  and that was my loss.    The bar currently has an open 1792 BIB (Canal's store pick),  and it's been the fastest-evaporating bottle on the shelf.   

You have actually SEEN 1792 BIB . . . On a SHELF!!!!!!?????    Whoa!!!!

9 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

The last store pick 1792 BIB I tried was excellent.

As many people have noted regional pricing does vary wildly. When I’ve spent around $25 lately it has been EWBIB handles for $20 + tax, so about $22 OTD. I can’t find a better value proposition right now. WT101 is my next go-to in this range if I don’t want a handle

11 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You have actually SEEN 1792 BIB . . . On a SHELF!!!!!!?????    Whoa!!!!

It won't be seen for long.    Most of it is gone,  and we all know the last third of the bottle's the sweetest.    1792, for me, splits the difference between the leather and tobacco of WT and OF and the peanut brittle of Beam,    Quintessential old-school bourbon,  finally presented with the kinds of choices that can only build respect for the quality of the juice.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BoilerinIL said:

I'll always go with the WT101.

This.  I have not seen WT101 above $25. 

I am sure I can find bourbons on the list that are preferable at one time or another but the recent WT101 is a stellar option.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:12 AM, BrokeCal said:

Hey guys, I'm up way too late tonight and I started thinking what everyone's favorite 'generally available' $25 750ml bottle of bourbon is. I know some of these might be priced +/- $5 depending on store and region but these are the ones in my region that are in this ballpark so I'm sticking with these options.

1) Buffalo Trace

2) Knob Creek 

3) WT101

4) 1792 Small Batch

5) Elijah Craig

6) Bulliet

7) Makers Mark

8)) Woodford Reserve

9) OGD BIB

10) Evan Williams SB

11) Old Forester 100

I don't typically drink any of these as my daily drinker is EW BIB and my other bottles are all above this range in price, ie. 1792 FP, OF 1920, MMCS, ECBP, etc etc. So I was just wondering if I'm missing out on some kind of consensus daily that I should upgrade too.

I could live the rest of my days with just those 11 whiskies on my bar.  I would not want for anything else, and never be bored with the selection.  But, since you ask if there were any others to add, I have found much enjoyment with Ezra Brooks 90 proof and VOB 90 proof.  The 1.75s of these probably will still be rather short of your price point in this exercise, but (mostly) drink equally with your 11.  

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I could live the rest of my days with just those 11 whiskies on my bar.  I would not want for anything else, and never be bored with the selection.  But, since you ask if there were any others to add, I have found much enjoyment with Ezra Brooks 90 proof and VOB 90 proof.  The 1.75s of these probably will still be rather short of your price point in this exercise, but (mostly) drink equally with your 11.  

I've always liked Ezra Brooks Black Label.  I've always respected it for being a bottom shelf pour at 90 proof instead of 80 or 86.  I recently finally got my hands on a VOB 90, and it was good without a doubt.  My next goal is to get a bottle of VOB 100, but I've never seen it on a shelf out here.

Edited by BrokeCal

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.