Lowest priced Age-Statement bottle (2020 Edition)?

clearmoon247
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Oh, c'mon Joe. That's the gem of STL! I'm sure you northern Illinois folks caravan down here to stock up. 

LOL!

I don’t have to make the trip down your way JC. The nearest Schnucks is a little over three blocks away from my house. A while back, I decided to take a chance on their Private Reserve. Sadly, it’s one of only a couple three bottles of mine that became drain cleaner. ?

Biba! Joe

5 minutes ago, BigRich said:

IF it's the private reserve, how do you acquire something so....private and.....reserved?

Hey, everyone gets lucky once in a while. ?

Biba! Joe

On 6/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Schnucks Private Reserve, a 36 month old (?) BIB @$12.99 a liter.  ?

Biba! Joe

How did that pass the TTB.  B.I.B. must be at least 4 years old.

On 6/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, fosmith said:

Joe, I think he’s asking for info on the Eagle Rare bottling line for why it’s no longer stated as a SiB.  I read somewhere that they bottle one barrel at a time but don’t clear the lines between barrels so you could wind up with a few bottles containing whiskey from two barrels. Hence, can’t be called SiB.

I’ve always thought this rationale is just a bunch of BS. Why is it that the same facility can bottle other single barrel products effectively but they can’t for ER? To me it has always seemed like a cop-out excuse  when they simply decided to switch it to a small batch product 

23 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I’ve always thought this rationale is just a bunch of BS. Why is it that the same facility can bottle other single barrel products effectively but they can’t for ER? To me it has always seemed like a cop-out excuse  when they simply decided to switch it to a small batch product 

Maybe to speed up the bottling process and reduce cost?  I'm inclined to believe that this is accurate as I find ER bottles can vary considerably in flavor profile. 

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

How did that pass the TTB.  B.I.B. must be at least 4 years old.

I thought the same thing when I saw that post...

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Maybe to speed up the bottling process and reduce cost?  I'm inclined to believe that this is accurate as I find ER bottles can vary considerably in flavor profile. 

Maybe so. But they successfully bottle lots of single barrels at BT. Most of the ERs I’ve drank for the last few years have been store picks so I can’t give a very informed opinion on how much bottle to bottle variation there is in the current regular ER

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Maybe so. But they successfully bottle lots of single barrels at BT. Most of the ERs I’ve drank for the last few years have been store picks so I can’t give a very informed opinion on how much bottle to bottle variation there is in the current regular ER

I'd imagine that the biggest cost savings switching from single barrel to batches is not the bottling process but rather the human manual resource  cost of hand picking the barrels and managing them. 

I agree that I never really bought the bottling line story either.

I believe that all private selection single barrel picks and any Distillery single barrels are bottled in the small Albert Blanton Bottling Hall, where things are more controllable, and not on the General Bottling Line.

The clearing the lines excuse seemed trivial, but does bring an air of straightforward transparency, when the opposite and less truthful explanations of whiskey things in the industry are generally panned by us whiskey enthusiasts.  it may have even been a convenient excuse, but it played out well.  Probably, saved them some headaches on several fronts.  Like,   I certainly know that if the mingling of barrel contents in the lines had become common knowledge, and BT continued to label ER as Single Barrel, Wade would have jumped on that like a hyena on an injured baby zebra.  ?

• I like it 4

I wonder, maybe it has to do with avoiding waste.  If they have to clear lines, what happens to the liquid.  It would seem there would always be a fraction of a bottle leftover per barrel.  This is for a popular brand too, so multiply that exponentially.

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

I wonder, maybe it has to do with avoiding waste.  If they have to clear lines, what happens to the liquid.  

Can you see my hand raised HIGH?   I'll be happy to help out in the "waste not, want not" efforts!   Heeeee-Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!   

AND, it won't matter to me one whit whether or not it 'mixes' with another barrel's distillate.  Guaranteed!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.