What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Side by side tonight with two 116 proofs, WT RB  and barrell whiskey 18 yr....WTRB for the win.! 

2DF3559E-390C-4241-8F9D-7C0A7B1413C7.jpeg

Edited by Cornfed12
  • I like it 2

12 hours ago, Cornfed12 said:

Side by side tonight with two 116 proofs, WT RB  and barrell whiskey 18 yr....WTRB for the win.! 

2DF3559E-390C-4241-8F9D-7C0A7B1413C7.jpeg

Wow!   That color difference is remarkable, especially when one considers the 18-year age of the one on the right.

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Wow!   That color difference is remarkable, especially when one considers the 18-year age of the one on the right.

That would be because the Barrell 18 yr. American Whiskey was aged in used barrels. 

• I like it 2

Thanks Just arrived at the beach for a very much needed vacay.  The bar is packed with all essentials...Yes, even the Beam Peach... ?.  
The EWSB is on it’s 3rd round...  ?

58C10622-E080-4D21-8183-CB0DB645DCB8.jpeg

85AD1DE6-4553-4E9A-905D-5C8FF369490E.jpeg

• I like it 7

This is the first JD juice I've had in years.  It's surprisingly smooth and, if it didn't state so on the label, I wouldn't know it weighed in at 132.5 proof. I'd buy it again. 

20200628_192455.jpg

• I like it 7

Tonight it's FR OESK from 2016. It's a young one at only 8yr, 7mo. and even though I generally prefer the "B" higher rye mashbill, this is very good. At 116.6 proof, it's an easy drinker with just a splash of water. Dangerously so!

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks Just arrived at the beach for a very much needed vacay.  The bar is packed with all essentials...Yes, even the Beam Peach... ?.  
The EWSB is on it’s 3rd round...  ?

58C10622-E080-4D21-8183-CB0DB645DCB8.jpeg

85AD1DE6-4553-4E9A-905D-5C8FF369490E.jpeg

Damn that looks amazing. Where are you?

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Damn that looks amazing. Where are you?

Sandestin, FL.  After last night, I’m not sure any of these bottles is making it back home, least of all the GermX!  ?

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Sandestin, FL.  After last night, I’m not sure any of these bottles is making it back home, least of all the GermX!  ?

I thought it was only Texas where they drank the hand sanitizer?  ? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I thought it was only Texas where they drank the hand sanitizer?  ? ?

Biba! Joe

The moisturizing nature may add an herbal quality.

Opened a Rhetoric 23 today.  I had just finished an EC23 this weekend so wanted to do a relative recent comparison.  Wow, very pleasantly surprised!  I think I may like it more than the EC23.  The OB series gets a lot of bad pub, and some of it is self-inflicted, and some of it is warranted, but there are also a few really nice offerings in that series. 

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Tonight it's FR OESK from 2016. It's a young one at only 8yr, 7mo. and even though I generally prefer the "B" higher rye mashbill, this is very good. At 116.6 proof, it's an easy drinker with just a splash of water. Dangerously so!

Ever try vatting the two?  One of the best bourbons I have is a vat of 10yr OBSK and 10yr OESK.  Every time I have some (which is sparingly) I am blown away.  I wish I had more of those bottles to do it again.

Edited by dcbt
typo
  • I like it 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:12 PM, Cornfed12 said:

WTRB may be the most under-appreciated bourbon on the market.  I hope it stays that way, frankly.

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

Ever try vatting the two?  One of the best bourbons I have is a vat of 10yr OBSK and 10yr OESK.  Every time I have some (which is sparingly) I am blown away.  I wish I had more of those bottles to do it again.

Is your mix 50/50? I may need to try this.

TWO HULKING OUNCES (which means it COULD be more heheheh) of OGD 114 with two middling ice cubes (which means they COULD be less heheh) while watching the 2000 movie "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle"  which is a jumble of real film with computer graphics overlaying it.  Robert DeNiro is Fearless Leader, Jason Alexander is Boris, and Rene (be still my heart as I am married) Russo as Natasha.   Plenty of cameos in this movie.  Old fahts like me love Don "Father Guido Sarducci" Novello as the "Fruit Vendor Twins."

I haven't spotted any bourbon brands in it yet, but the movie is not over.  Dishes are done so I may be in this chair for several more hours.  Thank goodness for cable with all its channels (AND for the OGD BIB squirreled, a la Rocky heheheh in my trash can).  When I was a kid, TV stations went off the air at 1 AM or so after playing the National Anthem and showing a waving flag.  Nowadays, I can find nekked women AND MEN!! with flags painted on them if I stay up late enough.  Ain't life in the US of A grand?? B)

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, BoilerinIL said:

Is your mix 50/50? I may need to try this.

Not exactly, though I'm sure that would be good also.  I made what I call "FR Centennial" (10 yr, 100 proof), so I diluted a sizeable sample of each bottle down to 100 proof, then combined 50/50.

• I like it 1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is the first JD juice I've had in years.  It's surprisingly smooth and, if it didn't state so on the label, I wouldn't know it weighed in at 132.5 proof. I'd buy it again. 

20200628_192455.jpg

You are not the only SBer who has felt/tasted it  this way.  This stuff reminds me of the early 1970s (like, 1972) when I discovered that JD Black sipped neat OR over one really small cube was nirvana  and SO MUCH BETTER than mass-produced beers.  Hence, MY BOURBON (or equivalent) JOURNEY began.  BUT, that's on an other thread.  SO -- The SiB/BP lacks/greatly reduces the ester creating the banana flavor sometimes found in JD, particularly the younger expressions.  While I find that ester distracting but not offensive, its reduction to a trace note in this expression of the brand is a positive.

ASIDE -- Do I think I shoulda put an other cube in that OGD 114?  You betcha.:rolleyes:

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

I just may have to try that. The only OBSK I have is a JR pick from 2012 that comes in at a whopping 123.8 proof. I'll let you know the results if I give it a go.

• I like it 2

Also cracked my first Revival for a nip. Love them all but probably would rate it Cornerstone>Revival>WP15 on this first tasting but all were very good pours. 

65F81841-CA06-4644-BCEA-451945F1685F.jpeg

• I like it 2

Had a pour of Little Book 3 last night. I'm down to under 2" left in this bottle.  I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 2nd when I had the chance at $93.

• I like it 1

Having a bit of 1792 small batch. It has been very hot here in West Michigan.  Temps around 90 for at least another week. Not complaining as I waited through the winter for this weather. It does feel a bit like Louisiana 

6B44CCA6-D03C-4F3E-B63D-4703D9511702.jpeg

• I like it 1

Been a while since bought a Whistlepig, so got PiggyBack 6 yrs for steep $50.  I liked it okay.  Very simple rye, good strong rye in the forefront, okay after, Baby Saz came immediate to mind.  Pulled a Baby Saz, not as strong but more rye bread flavor.  I liked Baby Saz better, for $30, so that's a no brainer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.