What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made some vattings in December 2015 that I totally forgot about and recently cracked open to try.

The 50/50 Buffalo Trace store pick and OGD 114 wasn't all that great, but the 50/50 OWA 107 and Larceny was actually quite nice. Better than I expected.

• I like it 1

A pour of Weller CYPB is in the glass tonight. It’s good. Very good. But I think my Weller Blend edges it out by the proverbial nose. ? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

On 6/29/2020 at 9:03 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

You are not the only SBer who has felt/tasted it  this way.  This stuff reminds me of the early 1970s (like, 1972) when I discovered that JD Black sipped neat OR over one really small cube was nirvana  and SO MUCH BETTER than mass-produced beers.  Hence, MY BOURBON (or equivalent) JOURNEY began.  BUT, that's on an other thread.  SO -- The SiB/BP lacks/greatly reduces the ester creating the banana flavor sometimes found in JD, particularly the younger expressions.  While I find that ester distracting but not offensive, its reduction to a trace note in this expression of the brand is a positive.

ASIDE -- Do I think I shoulda put an other cube in that OGD 114?  You betcha.:rolleyes:

I have one of these,(I think it's from the late 70's), that one of my buddies friends swears that it's really, really good and has been dying to try it.  In the not to distant future,  we're going to crack it, and do a SBS with some JDB, and see how it compares.

20200628_194957.jpg

• I like it 2

On 6/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, dcbt said:

WTRB may be the most under-appreciated bourbon on the market.  I hope it stays that way, frankly.

You and me both!

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have one of these,(I think it's from the late 70's), that one of my buddies friends swears that it's really, really good and has been dying to try it.  In the not to distant future,  we're going to crack it, and do a SBS with some JDB, and see how it compares.

20200628_194957.jpg

Really good friend of mine with a sizable collection poured this for me last year.  Twas a revelation, as I normally don’t like to drink JD (though I have been looking for an SBBP as part of my recent “hunting” activity).  

Since I am now working from my RV, I have been hitting my limited stash here now.

I am limited to 1972SB, Longbranch, Elijah CraigSB, Michters, Redbreast 12 and a Pendleton Distiller’s Select.  I can add a Mt Gay XO for a good rum.  Everything else is just for mixers.  

I had a taste of the EC yesterday evenings after it cooled off a bit.  This a favorite of a buddy of mine that is not at his RV this year as he is going thorough his third round of cancer treatment.  He is still putting up the good fit.  I am reminded of the Dylan Thomas poem reminding us that we should “Rage against the dying of the light” and that getting old does not mean that you have stopped living or that your desires or dreams are reduced.  Enjoy your 4th of July celebration, in whatever form that they take, and enjoy the freedoms afforded to you in this country of ours.  Be safe but above all, do not deny yourself happiness.

60F04133-5A82-4BDD-A59A-67B6A8EB1146.jpeg

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 5

WTKS. Even though I really prefer the dear and departed fantail bottle, the whiskey is really hitting on all notes this evening, in the new format bottle.

Pat

Just got home a few hours ago from Reno, NV, which was the last leg of my 2-week emergency trip to Wyoming Whiskey. I crashed for about 3 hours once I got home.

Now relaxing and having some WW "Hole in the Wall," which is a special blend that I made of 8 barrels that are all 6+ years old from upper warehouse rows E & F. It was bottled last Thursday. This is a blend that gives a nod to local outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, who frequented a local saloon by the same name (Hole in the Wall) in the nearby town of Thermopolis, which is just 12 miles from Kirby, where the distillery is.

Included in the photo is a barrel sample of the "rye-ish" whiskey that goes into Wyoming Whiskey's "Outryder." This was distilled 8.6 years ago, during master distiller Steve Nally's tenure at WW (he was master distiller at Maker's Mark for 33 years, before Dave Pickerell, and is now at Bardstown).  For those not in the know on this story, he was asked to distill a rye whiskey, but since he absolutely hated rye and abhorred working with it, he only used 49% rye in the mash bill. ?

At any rate, it is damned good juice! I'll be working with it in the next few weeks in order to come up with the 2020 version of WW Outryder. By the time the juice is bottled, it will be around 8.8 or 8.9 years old. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_4496.jpg

• I like it 9

WTRB on a cube with some dry Aldi cereal as a snack. This is a great combo. 

20200702_211532.jpg

20200702_211356.jpg

• I like it 8

Not bourbon but I made my wife a pitcher of Make Me Disappears. Ready for the 4th. Just hope my alligator doesn’t stay pissed off.  

993E8607-55A5-4049-A0B7-5B26BB513AC6.jpeg

6A361AEA-A62D-4497-8398-A055802CC853.jpeg

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 4

Just got back from walking the dog. Man it's hot outside. HH6BiB from the freezer will do nicely!

• I like it 2

Alright, alright, alright.  Having the last of a bottle of Longbranch from the RV stash. Frankly, i do like this as I tend to like all Turkey products.

650177E3-D821-4349-870C-5D75BDFDB9CC.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Alright, alright, alright.  Having the last of a bottle of Longbranch from the RV stash. Frankly, i do like this as I tend to like all Turkey products.

650177E3-D821-4349-870C-5D75BDFDB9CC.jpeg

Curious, where are you?

Felt like OF tonight. Nothing special but still good. OF100.  Tastes like younger amped up WR.  Obviously, it is NAS but any thoughts on age. I am guessing 4 -5 years old.

Well I was drinking Col. Taylor Small Batch at my niece's wedding but we had to run home to check on the dog. She had gotten out of her kennel and jumped on me as I opened the door (fireworks were going off), causing me to drop the mostly full bottle. The foyer smells pretty good.

20200702_175527.jpg

20200703_212216.jpg

• I like it 3

23 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

When the budget gets tight it's time to pull out ole faithful.

IMG_2503.jpg

Id probably drink that ORVW first, so that it doesn’t get taken away by HR during the restructuring.

36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Well I was drinking Col. Taylor Small Batch at my niece's wedding but we had to run home to check on the dog. She had gotten out of her kennel and jumped on me as I opened the door (fireworks were going off), causing me to drop the mostly full bottle. The foyer smells pretty good.

20200702_175527.jpg

20200703_212216.jpg

Sorry to see this.  This is a tough time for dogs afraid of fireworks.  My beagle is oblivious to the noise but my Chi-Yorkie is terrified.  She has hidden in the closet and under the bed tonight.  She wouldn't come out until I came and got her.  All is good for her now that she is sitting next to me while I drink bourbon.

Warmed up my palate with a short pour of a Jefferson's store pick from Roof Brothers in Kentucky.  Not half bad.

Just stepped it up a notch to Weller 12.  Some but not all W12 have a distinct cotton candy note on the nose and palate.  This bottle from 2016 has it.  I'm happy about that.

• I like it 1

Was gifted a bottle of Lot B last week.  Opened it and shared a pour with my dad tonite. He’s not a bourbon guy but thought id share it anyway.
Glad to finally taste that one.. my buds may be off but it was much spicier than W12. I had heard it is usually way smoother than W12.  Not as  complex as I would have thought..got a lot of freshly hewn oak board flavor, great nose, long finish. Really liked this pour. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Curious, where are you?

Hardy Lake, Stanwood, Michigan 

• I like it 1

The Weller 12 was great at always.  But I'm in a mood for variety tonight.  The thing is, you don't want to follow W12 something ordinary or you'll just be disappointed.

So I reached for that JM Cigar Blend bottle up on that shelf.  This is #9.  Such a fine whiskey.  Damned fine.  I love the finish on this.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

The Weller 12 was great at always.  But I'm in a mood for variety tonight.  The thing is, you don't want to follow W12 something ordinary or you'll just be disappointed.

So I reached for that JM Cigar Blend bottle up on that shelf.  This is #9.  Such a fine whiskey.  Damned fine.  I love the finish on this.

Ok so the JM Cigar Blend was so awesome I had to go back for a second pour.  Love this whiskey. 

But to end the night I didn't want to drink up all my Cigar Blend so I had to look for something else.  After such a great whiskey I knew I couldn't go back to ordinary, it has to be bold.  Ah, Stagg Junior there you are.  Batch #5 129.7 is a nice follow up and does not fall short.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.