What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

You beat me to the punch on that one, @flahute, but at any rate, that is straight truth and 200% correct. Amen brother! 

I toured New Riff with Jim Rutledge about four years ago and he gave them a bunch of free advice. If they implemented any of it they are probably even better off than they were before.

Look forward to seeing you again whenever it happens Nancy!

• I like it 1

Weller SR last night. This was my first  pour in a few days, and it tasted pretty darned good. To quote a saying that started in my bowling days with Vosgar, and one he used to great effect, “Same as it ever was.”  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I toured New Riff with Jim Rutledge about four years ago and he gave them a bunch of free advice. If they implemented any of it they are probably even better off than they were before.

Look forward to seeing you again whenever it happens Nancy!

Not sure if you have access to Facebook but this is a nice discussion with Jay Erisman at New Riff as part of a tasting with one of the local chains.  He states they barrel at 110 proof and since their storage is single story they typically see barrel proofs in the 108 to 113 range.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=295929511597923

• I like it 2

Enjoyed a pour of OF100 now following up with New Riff SiB.  Starting to heat up in Indiana.  Might be the last night to sit out on the deck for a few days.

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Not sure if you have access to Facebook but this is a nice discussion with Jay Erisman at New Riff as part of a tasting with one of the local chains.  He states they barrel at 110 proof and since their storage is single story they typically see barrel proofs in the 108 to 113 range.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=295929511597923

Thanks for this! Opened it in a separate tab to watch later.

^^ Two of my favorite things up there Woody and LOL at the Cajun Boos rub.

• I like it 2

Am I the only one than when they open one of these old style EC is happy when when the cap breaks off from the bottle?

I love using my teeth to get the cork out and hearing that satisfying sound as you get it out?

4C6C4F0D-8631-4EDD-842D-B0ED2D9EE4E6.jpeg

B869FD7D-01E0-4D20-A3E9-FD8E5C469E3B.jpeg

• I like it 2

Oops spoke to soon.  Pushed the cork down a little to far and now I’ll need to get the corkscrew out.

0D4BEDA3-0173-491C-A48A-A21AF68903D1.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit

21 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^^ Two of my favorite things up there Woody and LOL at the Cajun Boos rub.

Cajun Boos is the best on pork, its not salty.

11 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Cajun Boos is the best on pork, its not salty.

I’ll keep an eye out for it, normally all I can find is Slap Ya Mama in Houston.

Last night while doing a virtual happy hour with my brother.

7991A8FB-DCC7-48B8-A77D-12CDF2BBE6E8.jpeg

75ED532C-9A69-480A-9203-687D6B701766.jpeg

• I like it 1

I took the day off today to work on my daughter's car.  We replaced her crankshaft position sensor and since we were under there we changed the oil as well.  Cut some grass for a bit. Ate some peaches right off the tree. I just got back home and jumped in the "hot" tub. It's only 80 degrees....brrrrr!  Brought a pour of ET BIB over ice. Perfect for a hot day.

20200717_142046.jpg

20200717_142929.jpg

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

I took the day off today to work on my daughter's car.  We replaced her crankshaft position sensor and since we were under there we changed the oil as well.  Cut some grass for a bit. Ate some peaches right off the tree. I just got back home and jumped in the "hot" tub. It's only 80 degrees....brrrrr!  Brought a pour of ET BIB over ice. Perfect for a hot day.

20200717_142046.jpg

20200717_142929.jpg

That's a nice way to ease into the weekend. 

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

20200717_142046.jpg

20200717_142929.jpg

Nice day, Clueby.  Enjoy the therapy!

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

20200717_142046.jpg

20200717_142929.jpg

Looks relaxing now!  When you said you were working on your daughter's car, I thought "wow" it has to be hot out your way.  We usually get your weather and we are expecting a HOT weekend.  While often expensive, helping my kids is rewarding.

Like @Clueby I took some time off today, but only the afternoon and, unlike him, I didn't do anything productive.  Well, I did spend time with my wife running errands so we got stuff done.  We stopped at Costco looking for paper towels (don't ask) and once again they didn't have any.  We are starting to see signs of runs on certain items in stores again.  I was looking at the New Riff Single Barrels since I purchased one last week and they have several different barrels.  I was going to get one (different than the one I have), she said to get two.  Who am I to argue?  

I opened one and following the initial pour, I find it similar to the other bottle.  Very easy to drink with a nice rye punch.  This one was 103.1 proof while the other was 103.6 proof.  They were both distilled in Spring 2016.  I am debating whether to open the third bottle which was distilled in Fall 2015 and is 111.9 proof.  I rarely have two bottles of the same brand open at the same time and I certainly have never had three open at the same time.  I am a thinning of the herd kind of guy but the comparison aspect is intriguing.

As others have stated, this is fantastic. I like it better than most of the oak bomb SiB KC private selects. I'd absolutely love this to be 110 proof, but maybe that's getting greedy. 

And I'll be damned if they didn't find a cork that doesn't require vice grips to pull out! 

20200717_201210.jpg

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

As others have stated, this is fantastic. I like it better than most of the oak bomb SiB KC private selects. I'd absolutely love this to be 110 proof, but maybe that's getting greedy. 

And I'll be damned if they didn't find a cork that doesn't require vice grips to pull out! 

I know what y’all mean about the corks. I bought a SiB KC private pick not too long ago. My shoulder has been healing up quite nicely, but I thought I was having a setback cause I couldn’t the d**n cork out. ?

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Looks relaxing now!  When you said you were working on your daughter's car, I thought "wow" it has to be hot out your way.  We usually get your weather and we are expecting a HOT weekend.  While often expensive, helping my kids is rewarding.

It was crazy hot already before 10am. It actually cooled off (or at least seemed to) when it clouded up a bit. I had to get a blanket and put over her fender and even the exposed plastic under her hood because it was so hot it was burning me.

And you mention expensive..I ordered the part and then when we ran to the store for oil and filter she just "happened" to leave her wallet at home.?

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

20200717_142046.jpg

20200717_142929.jpg

Seems like a perfect day to me.  Also bought and enjoyed some ETBIB today.

Also that’s a great view from the hot tub.

A bit late but this weeks mid week pour was my 50:50 BT/STJ vatting, smokey cherry cola, leather notes... unique as it doesn’t resemble anything else in my cabinet  and it is delicious.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 2

Finally - first 4RYL freezer pull of the season and it's glorious.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.