What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

Finally - first 4RYL freezer pull of the season and it's glorious.

That's it...I'm going out tomorrow to get a bottle to stick in my freezer. I just can't keep reading how amazing it is with out trying. 

• I like it 4

On 7/16/2020 at 7:31 PM, HoustonNit said:

Am I the only one than when they open one of these old style EC is happy when when the cap breaks off from the bottle?

I love using my teeth to get the cork out and hearing that satisfying sound as you get it out?

4C6C4F0D-8631-4EDD-842D-B0ED2D9EE4E6.jpeg

B869FD7D-01E0-4D20-A3E9-FD8E5C469E3B.jpeg

@HoustonNit? I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had that problem! I can't tell from the photo if it is a synthetic cork, but whenever a synthetic cork breaks, I'll get a pair of pliers to get the cork off.

If its real cork that's broken off and it gets down into the bottle, you can try filtering it out with a coffee filter in order to get all the small pieces out. If you use that method with the coffee filter, just make sure to first rinse your coffee filter with some distilled water first, then squeeze out any excess water from the coffee filter before using.

The distilled water should prevent any chlorine or chloramine notes from getting into your whiskey. Finally, the reason you want to use water to "clean" the coffee filter in the first place is so your Bourbon doesn't pick up any unwanted paper notes, which sometimes can transfer from the filter to the Bourbon. 

Hope you were able to save your bottle, and cheers!

Nancy

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, JakeySnakes said:

That's it...I'm going out tomorrow to get a bottle to stick in my freezer. I just can't keep reading how amazing it is with out trying. 

No Regrets!

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, HoustonNit said:

Am I the only one than when they open one of these old style EC is happy when when the cap breaks off from the bottle?

I love using my teeth to get the cork out and hearing that satisfying sound as you get it out?

4C6C4F0D-8631-4EDD-842D-B0ED2D9EE4E6.jpeg

B869FD7D-01E0-4D20-A3E9-FD8E5C469E3B.jpeg

Great to see you back on here.  But no, I can't say I enjoy that experience with the dusty EC composite corks. Hate it actually. Although I have to say you're absolutely right about that glorious sound the cork makes.

MM cask strength earlier, then CEHT small batch while doing some grilling outside. MMCS might be my favorite summertime barrel proofer.   And the Colonel always goes well with outside grilling for some reason.

• I like it 3

Had BBQ for dinner from my favorite local place. For some reason, I usually crave either Stagg or Turkey after BBQ so I opened a bottle of the latest Bourbon Crusaders RRSiB which is a CNF 10yr for those who care about such things. Fantastic. May yet dip into Stagg but I also brought up a BC KCSiB pick that is 15yrs old so that is likely next. Given it's the weekend, the night will be long.

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

Given it's the weekend, the night will be long.

Hell yeah.

Just now, Kepler said:

Hell yeah.

My man. May you drink well tonight.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

My man. May you drink well tonight.

Oh I plan on it. Got a good start already and building on it. 

The same to you buddy ?

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh I plan on it. Got a good start already and building on it. 

The same to you buddy ?

One day I will get to Texas and you will be on my list of people to visit.

26 minutes ago, flahute said:

One day I will get to Texas and you will be on my list of people to visit.

Come on down Steve, I'll show you around and we'll have some good pours. I gotta get up to the Pacific NW too.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Come on down Steve, I'll show you around and we'll have some good pours. I gotta get up to the Pacific NW too.

If you ever find yourself up this way my house is your house.

• I like it 3

Last night I ended up having a very impromptu sbs of  ECBF B520 and a ps KC SiB.
Summation: The ECBF-?, and the KC-?.

Tonight it was BT, followed by Weller SR.
Summation: The BT-??, and the Weller SR-??.

Last night was okay. Tonight was great. What can I say? ?

Biba! Joe

I just love this stuff.

Easy drinking, great warm or chilled, and reasonably flavorful for an 80 proofer.

Did I mention it’s only $16 /750ml?

D2C29829-C2E4-4547-9D2C-451992B3DF1F.jpeg

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

I just love this stuff.

Easy drinking, great warm or chilled, and reasonably flavorful for an 80 proofer.

Did I mention it’s only $16 /750ml?

D2C29829-C2E4-4547-9D2C-451992B3DF1F.jpeg

Yessir you are a smart man. Love this one in the summer.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yessir you are a smart man. Love this one in the summer.

Out of the freezer while waiting for the charcoal to get hot...  ?. Like you say, bro...great in the Summer!

66DBF8EE-E6A3-4E22-883B-12579B14D785.jpeg

• I like it 3

GW4G straight from the fridge with a mint-infused large spherical ice ball (again!).  Too good after a day of 101 degree heat index roasting.  Think I might have anoter before bedtime - just to help me sleep tonite.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!   ?

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Out of the freezer while waiting for the charcoal to get hot...  ?. Like you say, bro...great in the Summer!

66DBF8EE-E6A3-4E22-883B-12579B14D785.jpeg

Following your lead on a hot day after a hot bike ride and noting for the first time some ice chunks in the bottle. So refreshing.

Brought a bottle back out of the closet that had sat un-poured for way too long.    I put it away around the holidays to make space for others I wished to offer, as well as pour for myself; some quite "fancy" and some just for mixing.   This one however didn't fit into any Holiday plans.   It's the second-last bottle I have of Elijah Craig Sm. Batch from a barrel pick done by the Georgia Bourbon Society that my son and I helped choose a few years ago.   It was a bit over half full when i put it away.    Now it's well under half.    I think I'll just keep it out in front for  few more weex until it's gone.    Some quite nice HH distillate, aged just about right, even though it wasn't 12-years old (if memory serves).    At just 94-proof this still offers a fuller palate, and nicer finish than many I've tried at considerably higher proofs.    Good Stuff!   Thanx, GBS buddies; that was a fun time, and some wonderful Bourbon to remember it with!

• I like it 2

20200720_065225.thumb.jpg.8ad617b07e8e6b721c5e3479f3c34dc9.jpg

A little Booker's on the terrace in the morning after a hellish all-night housework session.

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

20200720_065225.thumb.jpg.8ad617b07e8e6b721c5e3479f3c34dc9.jpg

A little Booker's on the terrace in the morning after a hellish all-night housework session.

On dry land; but, apparently still working a little too hard, eh?   Loox like a nice relaxing way to start a day, though.

Last night I tried the nelsons green briers tenn whiskey. Was not a  pour I was expecting, was more of a scotch reminder with the charcoal and smoke(peat-like) taste and nose. Waiting on opening the heaven hill 6 yr that was brought back to me..☺️

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.