What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's so damn good. I get this poof of buttery compressed air when the magic juice hits the front of my palate. I think I'm going to have to buy a double. 

DSC01031.jpg

• I like it 3

Okay, not exactly bourbon, but this sub is close enough, and I suspect this drink would be equally good with bourbon if one were so inclined. . . So here it is: I had a revelation!

It’s hot and sunny here and I spent the afternoon on a hammock while my kids played in sprinklers, kiddie pool, and with squirt guns. After baking in the sun for awhile, I needed something cool and delicious. So, I filled a small mason jar about one-third full with ice, then covered the ice with Rittenhouse. Topped that with a scoop of ice cream, then added a 7.5 oz Coke Zero for a little rye-coke-float action. . . Sooooo good, highly recommend. A perfect drink for the occasion! 

• I like it 7

A what are you drinking and empty bottle support group kind of picture.

IMG-0791.jpg

• I like it 2

Hot day of yard work followed by an IPA chased by some 4RYL out of the freezer.

Discovery: if you place the bottle on its side in the freezer, it develops ice chips that flow out of the bottle into your glass.

Normally, I'd never store my bourbon on its side. Our freezer was particularly full so sideways was the only way to fit it in. I decided I wasn't worried about the cork since I'll move through the bottle quickly.

The ice chips are a nice discovery.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Tulse said:

It's so damn good. I get this poof of buttery compressed air when the magic juice hits the front of my palate. I think I'm going to have to buy a double.

And pour yourself a double.  ? Just got two of these this week.  Gotta do a bottle kill to make room...

37 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

A what are you drinking and empty bottle support group kind of picture.

IMG-0791.jpg

Good to see you had a "backup" plan!

4 hours ago, Tulse said:

DSC01031.jpg

Well now!  Sounds like a good plan!

26 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Good to see you had a "backup" plan!

Former Boy Scout here.  Our motto "Be Prepared".  Don't know whether they were talking about having backup bottles of bourbon but hey, it works for me.

• I like it 1

Same proof, both NCF, likely fairly close in age, one's a barely rye, and the other is a high rye bourbon. The RR SiB Rye is more delicate and hitting the spot tonight. The in-your-face POW (think Adam West Batman) of the 4R SmBS is fantastic, but the mintiness is a bit much tonight. 

The 4R is pretty noticeably darker. 

This is how I patiently wait for WTRB Rye to hit our market. 

20200801_201511.jpg

20200801_201610.jpg

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Same proof, both NCF, likely fairly close in age, one's a barely rye, and the other is a high rye bourbon. The RR SiB Rye is more delicate and hitting the spot tonight. The in-your-face POW (think Adam West Batman) of the 4R SmBS is fantastic, but the mintiness is a bit much tonight. 

The 4R is pretty noticeably darker. 

This is how I patiently wait for WTRB Rye to hit our market. 

20200801_201511.jpg

20200801_201610.jpg

Interesting SBS and I like it.

• I like it 1

Got my own battle of the bottles going on Sat night. A 5th fl warehouse B and SP 1792 FP. Back and forth. The WT hitting on all the notes but the Barton express coming with the big fruit and spice grip. No winner but two great contenders. One thing's for sure, it will be a late Sun morning. :) 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Hot day of yard work followed by an IPA chased by some 4RYL out of the freezer.

Discovery: if you place the bottle on its side in the freezer, it develops ice chips that flow out of the bottle into your glass.

Normally, I'd never store my bourbon on its side. Our freezer was particularly full so sideways was the only way to fit it in. I decided I wasn't worried about the cork since I'll move through the bottle quickly.

The ice chips are a nice discovery.

Oh my.  You’ve taken the Yella Label in the freezer to another level!  Now, I have to lay mine down to get the chips!! ?

I just had a nightcap pour of ET BIB. G’night. ?

Biba! Joe

Mrs. Clueby and I hitting some low fill bottles tonight. Stagg Jr. batches 12 and 13 were first followed up with some Blanton's and ET BIB...while watching some NHL playoffs!! Hockey is back. It's weird to see no fans and hear the fake crowd noise, but I'll take it.

20200801_210902.jpg

20200801_211029.jpg

• I like it 3

It's round two with MMCS.  I'm still liking it.  You have to be careful.  This stuff will sneak up on you.

Another late evening pour for me. 

Tonight, I am going with WTKS PS, from warehouse A. 

A fun one. 

Cheers

I picked p a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10-yr and tried it for the first time last night.  I now have 15 bottles on the table after adding Angel's Envy port finished to my beginner stable.  Couldn't help compare the RR to the other $35.00, 90-proof bottle next to it, Woodinville.  Russell's won that battle easily for me. 

Also killed a bottle of OF100 and introduced my son to pairing it with Trader Joe's 72% Cacao Belgian Dark Chocolate.  They were made to go together.

I guess this turned out to be a "What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today," "What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today," and "Empty Bottle Support Group" post all in one. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, FacePlant said:

A 5th fl warehouse B and SP 1792 FP. Back and forth. 

I just tried a sample from a 4th floor warehouse B that was phenomenal. Was an easy winner vs 4th floor E and G samples. Those were very good too, the B just stood out in a big way!

• I like it 1

Took a fairly long trip to NJ and back today.  Just wanted something familiar and  not needing alot of interpretation.  Dant fit the bill.  Sometimes the "regular" pour is all you need.

• I like it 4

I told @0895 that I would report back on my feelings about the Joseph A. Magnus bottle I purchased on Friday. I opened it tonight, and I must say that at least to my palate, it's fantastic. 

The nose alone is outstanding. It's easily the highlight of this expression. The initial flavor is rather mellow, but it sneaks up on you. Modest, gentle concentration. It really opens up as I aerate it in my mouth a bit. The finish is wonderful, packed with soft black licorice, freshly crushed herbs, sweetness that doesn't overwhelm and take away from the lingering flavor profile that sticks around for many minutes.

Now I like finished whisk(e)y, so maybe I'm bias. But man, this batch 93, bottle 719 absolutely does it for me. Plus being a DC native, I'm happy to support a "back home" distillery. 

Big thumbs up from this guy. With my birthday in a few short months, I'm already on the hunt for a Cigar Blend to celebrate. 

IMG_20200803_185857_compress95.jpg

• I like it 6

Having some ER 10y tonight. ER has been very good lately, still around $30 here and I buy them when I see them.  Very good pour for everyday. 
DDBAC535-87C9-436E-AD7A-130807CD78AD.thumb.jpeg.21168a5e62a3f3b8f0cc99503fb6be2f.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

Had a bit of ECSB to start the evening followed it with some Grand Traverse Cherry. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.