What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

got a free bottle of wolcott kentucky straight. not bad. on the thinner side for mouthfeel, a little like BT, but spicy like WT101 (its a high rye mash bill apparently). for a house brand its pretty good, but why not just drink WT101 for $5 less? but hey, it was free and a nice poor, so I am happy. at the right price I would would buy this.

Drinking Michter's Small Batch US1 for the first time.  Very flavorful, even the first pour.  I am finding a lot of competing  bourbons ($35 range, 90-proof range) improve after a few pours, so I am looking forward to this one over the next week or two.  This makes the 16th bottle in my beginner collection.

Weird day. ? I’m having a couple of healthy pours of my Weller Blend. If I didn’t have to watch my grandkids tomorrow, it might have been one of those,  “don’t give a ?“ nights. <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Freezer bottle of FRYL took a serious hit last night.  Tropical storm Isaias blowing thru at a 50mph clip, local tornadoes, trees down, heavy walls of rain, luckily no power outages (just a few flickers), cats and dogs lying down together . . . . . .   ?

Went online to order a handle of FRYL for pickup today.  Too bad our freezer is too small to stick the new bottle in - going to have to finish the current 750 and refill, repeating as often as necessary.  "May you live in interesting times".   ?

• I like it 4

The last week nothing has been tasting like it should, undeterred my daily splash to gauge current conditions had WT101 just about back to a normal range. Now for a proper pour in a few hours.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

The last week nothing has been tasting like it should, undeterred my daily splash to gauge current conditions had WT101 just about back to a normal range. Now for a proper pour in a few hours.

???;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Freezer bottle of FRYL took a serious hit last night.  Tropical storm Isaias blowing thru at a 50mph clip, local tornadoes, trees down, heavy walls of rain, luckily no power outages (just a few flickers), cats and dogs lying down together . . . . . .   ?

Went online to order a handle of FRYL for pickup today.  Too bad our freezer is too small to stick the new bottle in - going to have to finish the current 750 and refill, repeating as often as necessary.  "May you live in interesting times".   ?

I just picked up a 1 liter FRYL last week for future freezer duty. This one was only 2 bucks more than the 750 so it's equally as good a value as the handle but should fit in the freezer door ?

• I like it 1

I've been diving into my recent purchase of Legent.  This one is drier than I expected.  There is some sweetness on the pallette and I like the dark fruit (mostly cherry) and oak that I am getting.  The price is reasonable on this and I would buy it again.  

IMG_20200805_170107291.jpg

Edited by TwoFingers
  • I like it 1

A little Orphan Barrel sbs tonight.

The 15y Forged Oak (90.5p) is probably at my limits on oak.  It’s like chewing on a tree.  I’ll give it a “fair” rating tonight.  I have one bottle of this bunkered that Im not exactly sure I even want to open now...

The Rhetoric 21y (90.2p) is noticeably better, but much less oak forward/intense.  It has dominating fruit flavors (mostly cherry), that I really enjoy.

CE7BBAF6-6CB6-47E8-9F7D-897FC51A65BC.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

So, I'm sitting on the back deck sipping a neat pour of EH Taylor SB and not more than 200 feet away, 5 bucks mossy across the back yard.  A big dark 8 point, 3 medium tan 6 point and a smaller tan 4 point.  No phone, no camera. arrrrg.  A beautiful sight.  I'll have to try the 'neat EH Taylor trick' again to see if they will come back!

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

So, I'm sitting on the back deck sipping a neat pour of EH Taylor SB and not more than 200 feet away, 5 bucks mossy across the back yard.  A big dark 8 point, 3 medium tan 6 point and a smaller tan 4 point.  No phone, no camera. arrrrg.  A beautiful sight.  I'll have to try the 'neat EH Taylor trick' again to see if they will come back!

Try some Mellow Corn next time. I hear they like that ? ?

• I like it 2

I did a little bit of yard work this evening. Yes time for a freezer pour!  HH6 bonded. Delicious tonight.

• I like it 4

Opened a nice 11 yr, 3mo 4R from a few years back.  OBSF, one of my favorites!!

• I like it 2

Today I bought and am drinking a WT 81. Specifically to see if there was a noticable difference between it and the WT 80 I found the other day. First impression in no, they are pretty similar. I'll have to sbs them later for a much closer inspection. I did notice that Eddie Russel has his name on the 81 whereas Jimmy has his name on my 101.

Johnny Drum wth a pulled pork sandwich and lightning dancing over the beach.  

• I like it 2

This new Weller Single Barrel is a different animal than any other Weller-labeled bourbon I've tasted before. No age statement but obviously an older whiskey, with some drying tannins on the finish. 

It reminds me more of the Pappy VW series (15 & 20) than the regular Weller line such as W12 or OWA

The dryer tannins with this bourbon is NOT a bad thing.  Perfect example of what people mean when they say wheated bourbons handle older aging better than rye-based bourbons. Thumbs up for me on this new WSiB.

20200807_224214.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

This new Weller Single Barrel is a different animal than any other Weller-labeled bourbon I've tasted before. No age statement but obviously an older whiskey, with some drying tannins on the finish. 

It reminds me more of the Pappy VW series (15 & 20) than the regular Weller line such as W12 or OWA

The dryer tannins with this bourbon is NOT a bad thing.  Perfect example of what people mean when they say wheated bourbons handle older aging better than rye-based bourbons. Thumbs up for me on this new WSiB.

Congrats on the purchase K. Ya’ done real good. Nice notes too. I admit that I’m a jealous Weller Whore. ^_^  Carry on, and enjoy.  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Congrats on the purchase K. Ya’ done real good. Nice notes too. I admit that I’m a jealous Weller Whore. ^_^  Carry on, and enjoy.  

Biba! Joe

Thanks!  That means a lot coming from the true Weller Whore that you are. Lol ?

Well seriously if I could share a pour or two from this bottle I would.  I'm just a Weller layman and would like to hear what Weller experts (aka Weller whores) think about it. ?

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.