What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had dinner with another couple last night, he enjoys whiskey but is a casual and low-proof on-the-rocks drinker so I brought over 10 bottles so he could try some new things.  I'm not a 14-year-old girl so I did not reflexively take pictures, though in retrospect I should have:  I arranged the group to allow some logic to the madness:

-Larceny because he likes MM and MM46;

-Woddinville and McKenna BIB so he could try two "top award-winning" bourbons;

--RR 10 becuase he knows WT

--EC and ECBS A120 so he could either try either a nice, readily available everyday drinker or compare the two;

--KC9 and EWBIB as another nice readily available everyday drinker and a nice, readily available bargain-priced drinker;

--OF100 because is it so uniquely sweet;

--Michters SB because, well, it's just really good.

We started out with Larceny, then EC.  Moved on to RR10, then Michters.  After dinner for a final drink after dinner he chose Michters on the rocks.  His wife--not much of a bourbon drinker--had an OF100 on the rocks. and enjoyed it.  I had ECBP.  All in all a good evening.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

I always enjoy pictures of your view Jeff. And, of course,  you're always drinking or eating something very good. ?

Thanks, Phil. 

put Kabobs on the smoker yesterday,  going to do a pork loin today ni have decided that I am going to give cooking a Porchetta a try next weekend. 

• I like it 2

For whatever reason, cheddar goldfish crackers make this pick taste even better ?‍♂️.

Warm & Humid here today.  Better stay inside and organize my bourbon.

Its also the wife’s birthday, so Ill probably pull something special out later...

34CD022A-A4C9-4077-B1D0-432399380712.jpeg

• I like it 1

Having a couple of pours before cooking up some curry for dinner.  Finishing off a couple low bottles of EC and Woodford Reserve.   Both are bottles I don't drink often but I have found it is good to revisit bottles sometimes.  The bottle of EC went pretty fast.  A little of a surprise for me.

I finally finished off a "Tail Fan" bottle of WTKS from about 5-years ago.   It was actually kinda meh.   That's why it sat around so long.    My 'across the street neighbors' helped as did my son-in-law.   It seemed to taste better and better with each pour (I had 4 medium-large ones over the afternoon/evening); but still never really hit any high notes for me.    The neighbors liked it a lot... or said so, anyway.

This!  And I must say, I'm beginning to warm up to the higher proof stuff!  Delicious! 

20200809_184851.thumb.jpg.2911df7303ba27dc6585c97075f2589b.jpg

• I like it 6

I was sending around pics of my music corner now with a brand new practice amp, and noticed my WT Russell’s also made an appearance. In any case, too many vintage Les Pauls and P-basses around here, so I felt SB needed this photo. 

37E5D467-D577-49E1-8C84-A5984B190240.thumb.jpeg.c141a9646af5e6ce8e8cf6e46f34b2f2.jpeg

Btw the amp’s nothing special, a puny Rumble 40W, which is likely 39W more than what my studio apt can handle. Looking forward to meeting the neighbors in the coming days. 

8AC47AD2-BF2F-4FEE-AAF8-022FCBAF8F65.thumb.jpeg.8067e16def6844a4932a2b7fa040b4d4.jpeg

Can confirm the warning applies in MA. Gf promptly left after I walked in with the box. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I was sending around pics of my music corner now with a brand new practice amp, and noticed my WT Russell’s also made an appearance. In any case, too many vintage Les Pauls and P-basses around here, so I felt SB needed this photo. 

37E5D467-D577-49E1-8C84-A5984B190240.thumb.jpeg.c141a9646af5e6ce8e8cf6e46f34b2f2.jpeg

Btw the amp’s nothing special, a puny Rumble 40W, which is likely 39W more than what my studio apt can handle. Looking forward to meeting the neighbors in the coming days. 

8AC47AD2-BF2F-4FEE-AAF8-022FCBAF8F65.thumb.jpeg.8067e16def6844a4932a2b7fa040b4d4.jpeg

Can confirm the warning applies in MA. Gf promptly left after I walked in with the box. 

Fire it up and make some ears bleed!

Having a pour with my brother & sis-in-law at their lakehouse when her friend stops by with a couple bottles, & one was this. Tax strip dates it between '77-'82. Definately had a dusty profile, but also a little too sweet.

20200808_193008_HDR.jpg

The Weller Centennial was calling to me from it’s perch across my office all day long.  Figured I’d answer.  ?

259F9806-5114-4630-BE70-91A51905833B.jpeg

• I like it 6

22 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

The Weller Centennial was calling to me from it’s perch across my office all day long.  Figured I’d answer.  ?

259F9806-5114-4630-BE70-91A51905833B.jpeg

Fantastic.  I was just ranting yesterday that if I were in charge at BT I would permanently change the Van Winkle Lot B to a new Weller Centennial.  12 years, 100 pf, single barrel.  I think that would be a fantastic addition to the lineup and remove something that in my opinion is not all that different from regular W12.

• I like it 2

Gotta suffer through some WT101 as a storm rolls through. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200811_171638.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 5

44 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Kudos Joe. Cheers and enjoy. I've been so very fortunate to have had a number of Weller Centennials during my time in this hobby. I have to say that I've tried the best I could to pay things forward by sharing some whenever and wherever I could. Most of the bottles I was able to procure were due to the kindness and generosity shown me by fellow members here.Thankfully, I still have one left in the bunker. 

26 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Fantastic.  I was just ranting yesterday that if I were in charge at BT I would permanently change the Van Winkle Lot B to a new Weller Centennial.  12 years, 100 pf, single barrel.  I think that would be a fantastic addition to the lineup and remove something that in my opinion is not all that different from regular W12.

I really like this idea B. ? However, if it were me, I'd get rid of Weller 12 instead. Ya just don't know the why's and wherefores of the contract Julian has with Saz/BT:unsure:

I've said numerous times over the years that most real bourbon lovers would be quite happy if Weller Centennial, ER 10/101, and WT 12 (split label and/or cheesy gold foil) were still been produced today. 

Also, please pardon the grainy pic. It's from my old camera and old computer. When I transferred it over to my new computer, it didn't turn out too well.

Biba! Joe

P1000779.jpeg

• I like it 6

This is my 4th time (over a couple of weeks) adding a splash (about a teaspoon) of Pikesville to a standard (1.5 oz) pour of ET BIB. So. Good. I think it brings out the best of both whiskies. If someone else gets a wild hair to try the combo, I would like to know if I am crazy ? 

11 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Last night while watching the Nats unload.

244A7C5C-4B39-441C-8087-BE2DFE7EDAFE.jpeg

That one's on my short list.  I've seen it too many times on the top shelf and passed it up.  Now I gotta have it!

Battle of the Blue Labels:

A little Dickel BiB & A little ET BiB side by side. 

So who copied who?

bonds (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Edited by Tulse
  • I like it 1

I had the last couple of pours from a bottle of ET BIB this evening. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Tulse said:

Battle of the Blue Labels:

A little Dickel BiB & A little ET BiB side by side. 

So who copied who?

bonds (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Yes, they did!     Blue, gold and white... in nearly identical proportions if not shades and tints.

Both pretty good whiskeys, though with entirely different profiles.   Only one came out with a 'reasonable' price tag, though.    ...And, that one had ZERO "flintstone's vitamin" influence... ?

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Kudos Joe. Cheers and enjoy. I've been so very fortunate to have had a number of Weller Centennials during my time in this hobby. I have to say that I've tried the best I could to pay things forward by sharing some whenever and wherever I could. Most of the bottles I was able to procure were due to the kindness and generosity shown me by fellow members here.Thankfully, I still have one left in the bunker. 

I really like this idea B. ? However, if it were me, I'd get rid of Weller 12 instead. Ya just don't know the why's and wherefores of the contract Julian has with Saz/BT:unsure:

I've said numerous times over the years that most real bourbon lovers would be quite happy if Weller Centennial, ER 10/101, and WT 12 (split label and/or cheesy gold foil) were still been produced today. 

Also, please pardon the grainy pic. It's from my old camera and old computer. When I transferred it over to my new computer, it didn't turn out too well.

Biba! Joe

P1000779.jpeg

That's all good Joe.

If we're going to be in charge of BT - bring back the 7 year age statement and single barrel selections for Antique.  ETL was originally 107 proof, and aged a bit longer too.  We want the availability and prices to be what they were back in the day.  Adjusted for inflation is alright. ?

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying this - picked up on a trip through the Holy Lands some weeks ago.  Plan to find another 1 or 2 from a KY LB with a hoped-for trip through this weekend.  IMHO much better than the 7yr Old Ezra (new version, not 101), and a little cheaper too.

Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection 107pf, selected by LB#1

Resizer_15972435734020.jpg

And a couple more I'm enjoying when surprised to find at one shop down here - liking the white label French oak finished a little more, but wouldn't refuse the reg blue label.

Daviess County 96pf.  Wheat & Rye bourbons blended

Gotta say I'ma liking what Lux Row has been doing lately with more reasonably priced variations/labels, tossing some different variations of Rebel Yell into the mix as well.  

Resizer_15972444171370.jpg

On 8/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, 0895 said:

Its also the wife’s birthday, so Ill probably pull something special out later...

I hesitated whether to ask for more details on how this went...

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

I hesitated whether to ask for more details on how this went...

LMFAO! Nicely done Swamp. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Working on a wsr that is near being on the empty bottle thread. I have 1 more in the stash waiting to be opened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.